Driving in france 1st time

Hi all…Ive been driving class 1 almost a year so not that experienced. I’ve got a new job I’m starting next week driving a fridge to france twice a week. I was just wondering if there’s any information that you could give me that will help me along the way. Pretty bludy nervous about it to be honest. Thanks in advance.

SATNAV…on the off chance theres someone sailing out on the same boat thats pink,see if there heading in the same direction and tag onto their back doors,dont park on the perimiters in the quiet spots,go for the herd instinct and park with the mob for security,you cant get your curtains slashed with a fridge though your tanks are fair game …rachet strap across the cab on both doors when your kipping makes a simple doorlock.keep a baton handy,or leave a big blade jammed into the side window for show when your in bed…better safe than sorry…never stop less than 5 hours driving from the ferry,make sure you have a good lock on the trailer doors,and keep your right elbow next to the kerb…and if your not on the toll roads…clubs dont mean clubs and the ladies sitting in campervans arnt broken down and waiting on the rac…other than that,you will never want to drive in the uk again as you will soon realise that conditions and attitudes are wildly different abroad where you will generally be shown more respect.remember the flipflops for the showers,and treat the kadunks with the contempt they deserve at calais and surrounding areas.16 sleeves of ciggies adds a nice bonus onto every trip,just find out who smokes what before you go,and cases of wine will double your dosh without going mental at it.piece of pish and a pure doddle… :smiley:

You’ll be ok.it’s a joy compared to here. Apart from right elbow next to the kerb, remember to look left at roundabouts :smiley: .

Spot on cheers.

Nerves to be expected, but within a week you’ll wonder what you worried about and hope to never have to drive in the UK again. :laughing:

I didn’t have much time to be nervous for my first European trip, heard about it on the Sunday night and left on Tuesday morning driving a truck for somebody I’d never met before, somehow muddled through including driving round Paris.

Problems I had, didn’t realise that the funny separate lane up the hill was a slow vehicle lane, until a friendly local came screaming past me in it with a lovely sound of the air horn and a friendly wave. :blush:
I’d done ok with the staying on the right side of the road until I turned down a smaller road, towards the end of the day, was about a mile before I realised that I’d been driving on the left, but then the road was that narrow the truck took 2/3rds of it.

I don’t think you’ll find road positioning to difficult if you’re driving a RHD truck, just stick it between the lines, more difficult is getting used to LHD, if you’re used to RHD, but it soon comes.
If you are in a RHD plan for roundabouts and junctions, so you don’t block your vision. Keep more on an eye out in the left mirrors, especially when overtaking.

People have diesel nicked and truck broken into in the UK, so just think about where you’re parking and keep valuables out of sight and no doubt others will tell you good places and bad places, common sense stuff really.

Not sure what routes you’re using to get there whether Portsmouth or Dover Calais, but you’ll find that services areas into Calais are closed from a long way out now, that alone should tell you to keep away, so try and plan to stop well away or have enough time to get over to the UK. Have proper locks, Do your security checks and keep a record. If you using the Portmouth routes, have a good understanding of Ferry breaks regs, might come in useful at times.

The services in France are generally good but many, especially on main routes do fill up early, when I can I like to use the Routiers. they’re the french cafes and centre routiers tend to be more like truck stops, most are just off the motorway.
Quality can vary, but again if you’re doing it regularly you’ll find which ones you like and many on here will help you find them.

There is a bit of a system, (etiquette) to using them, but really do give them a go.

I use this website to find new ones, it is in french but you can make out where they are and how to get to them.
http://www.relais-routiers.com/

I’m sure there are other websites with the information.

Thanks for the info. I believe I’m going from Portsmouth into caem. Are the services free in france? Yea I was wondering the best way to work the hours out. Never used ferry mode I was thinking do you just put it on rest or ferry. I friend of mine said you plug your fridge in when you get on the ferry.

Services are free in France, but you normally pay for the showers, but they’ll generally be clean and far better than the UK,
parking also free at Routiers, but you will be expected to buy a meal. There are secure parking areas, where you go through a barrier and either it’s paid by a toll tag or you take a ticket.

Journeys involving ferry or train transport
Where a driver accompanies a vehicle that is being transported by ferry or train, the daily rest requirements are more flexible.
A regular daily rest period may be interrupted no more than twice, but the total interruption must not exceed 1 hour in total. This allows for a vehicle to be driven on to a ferry and off again at the end of the crossing. Where the rest period is interrupted in this way, the total accumulated rest period must still be 11 hours. A bunk or couchette must be available during the rest period.

So if you’re going to do a ferry break, book off (End Country, mode to rest) when you move during the break, set the tacho to ferry mode. (this puts a marker on your tacho records and means the analysis software can pick up a ferry break so doesn’t give you an infringement.
At the end of your rest book back on.

I’ve not done fridges out of the UK, but I believe it is plugged in on a ferry and turned off on the tunnel. But I’m sure somebody will be along to tell you how its done.

Brilliant mate thanks for the help.much appreciated.

Welcome to a good place to be a driver …just mind the blind spot if you are Rhd .

try to get hold of one of these, I got mine free from the café at the top of the Cherbourg hill out of town, we did stop there quite a bit, I asked if he could order me one if I left the money and he gave me the previous years edition, if long tables are used just join on the end and a quick bonjour to the nearest, I used to look at what others were eating and ask for the one that looked ok.lol

App most French drivers use is this one

truckfly.com/en/truckers/

All the above comments are spot on, once you get the hang of it you’ll wonder why you were so worried.

What I do when I’m in the UK is put the little mirror under the main one, on the passenger side, right down and out a bit, barely showing the trailer, it really gives a good view of that blind spot. Practice with it like that for a bit watching cars go past you on the duals/motorways. You’ll see them approach, come along side and then see them just forward of the side window, you don’t lose sight of the vehicle at all. ( French car drivers aren’t in the habit of hanging about along side like in the UK)
And as said hang back a little on roundabouts especially if they’re busy, hog the road as much as you can, if there isn’t that much on them, approach it slowly, this enables you to pick your best time to pull out.

When are you out and who do you drive for ?. (PM me if you don’t want all and sundry to know) I’ll keep an eye out for you

Oh yeah forgot to say, when at the booking office, tell them that your transporting fresh/frozen, they’ll ask what temp, you’ll get an A4 piece of paper showing all the details, this goes in the windscreen. Once your on board, they’ll sort out the Plug-IN for you, turning off the fridge, switching it to aux etc., they unplug it for you at the other end too. Oh yeah, it’s up to you to switch the fridge back on, remember to change it back to engine from aux if the crew member hasn’t done it for you, they normally do do it though but just check they have when you turn it back on.
You’ll get a cabin card, with the cabin number on it at the booking office too, about the size of a bank card, show this in the cafeteria when you get your food, gets you 50% off, also gets you a free 500ml bottle of Evian water, free coffee at the bar and a free drink (tea/coffee) in the morning.

If I think of anything else that will help, I’ll post it

Really great info and much appreciated. Thanks.

Don’t forget your passport … :wink:

:smiley: :smiley: That’d be a great start haha

dieseldog999:
SATNAV…on the off chance theres someone sailing out on the same boat thats pink,see if there heading in the same direction and tag onto their back doors,dont park on the perimiters in the quiet spots,go for the herd instinct and park with the mob for security,you cant get your curtains slashed with a fridge though your tanks are fair game …rachet strap across the cab on both doors when your kipping makes a simple doorlock.keep a baton handy,or leave a big blade jammed into the side window for show when your in bed…better safe than sorry…never stop less than 5 hours driving from the ferry,make sure you have a good lock on the trailer doors,and keep your right elbow next to the kerb…and if your not on the toll roads…clubs dont mean clubs and the ladies sitting in campervans arnt broken down and waiting on the rac…other than that,you will never want to drive in the uk again as you will soon realise that conditions and attitudes are wildly different abroad where you will generally be shown more respect.remember the flipflops for the showers,and treat the kadunks with the contempt they deserve at calais and surrounding areas.16 sleeves of ciggies adds a nice bonus onto every trip,just find out who smokes what before you go,and cases of wine will double your dosh without going mental at it.piece of pish and a pure doddle… :smiley:

It is not possible if drivers don t want infrigiment.Maximum what driver can drive not stop about 3h30 min.Need left 1 hours before break for all control and sliw traffick in the port before weigbridge.

meanwhile in the land of reality…if you stop for a pee too close to the port,you will definately be bringing back more than you came out with…"had to drive for excessive time due to personal safety and security reasons as was being attacked by illegal migrants " generally covers a lot of discrepancies on your cards…show a vid of the calais vermin swarming around,and refer anyone concerned to your list of youtube links and you have a good argument for not missing the boat…unless you drive like this guy??.. :smiley:

WHAT MIGRANTS.jpeg

dieseldog999:
meanwhile in the land of reality…if you stop for a pee too close to the port,you will definately be bringing back more than you came out with…"had to drive for excessive time due to personal safety and security reasons as was being attacked by illegal migrants " generally covers a lot of discrepancies on your cards…show a vid of the calais vermin swarming around,and refer anyone concerned to your list of youtube links and you have a good argument for not missing the boat…unless you drive like this guy??.. :smiley:

I if driver done 8 crosding per month and will be big infrigiment that French police can give ££££ penalty.Frnce penalty not penault.

Andrejs:

dieseldog999:

I if driver done 8 crosding per month and will be big infrigiment that French police can give ££££ penalty.Frnce penalty not penault.

who dares wins…as me and my mates used to say…but i cant say any more about that… :slight_smile:

Caen/Ouistreham nowhere near as bad as Calais but be careful near port, especially if you’re told to diesel up at the Esso. Don’t plan on taking any rest or break in Pompey on way back in to the UK. On a bad day it can be over an hour to clear the Waterguard. Ouistreham is good for parking inside port area if you have a booking.
If in doubt ask. Mostly tame staff and drivers

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk