Is it any wonder there is a driver shortage?

Ive just come into a bit of money so i was thinking of getting my class 1 till i went on the job centre website I spent an hour looking at both class 1 + 2 jobs heres a few

HGV 1 60+ hours pw + overtime £5.00 ph plus night out allowance 3 nights out pw

HGV 2 40 hours pw £10 ph job duration 1 week

HGV 2 70+ hours pw plus night out included in salary £5.10

HGV 2 37 hours pw 4am start till finish £5.00 ph 30-35 drops per day handballing included

HGV 2 50 hours pw age 30 plus for insurance min 5 years experience multi drop and nationwide deliveries nights out plus bonus’s £4.85 ph

What a [zb] joke its no wonder this countries transport industry is in tatters and firms cant get drivers

simon

Well Simon thats why those jobs are advertised in the job centre , because thats the only way those sort of companys can get drivers :unamused:
your best bet would be to go and see people direct, some companys do pay decent money and some get the drivers they deserve by paying crap, last year I took earned just under 30k with N/O etc on top of that but I do work weekends and have Mon and Tues off and do alot of hours :unamused:
And for those companys who continue to pay crap they always have our comrades from Poland etc to jump behind the wheel :wink:

I agree with Suffolk ReeferBoy these jobs advertised by the job centre are normally the bottom of the barrel and hopefully they get the drivers they deserve. If you decide to take your HGV’s take it becuase you want to be a truck driver not becuase you think you are going to make loads of money. However you should be able to make more than that bunch are offering

muckles:
I agree with Suffolk ReeferBoy these jobs advertised by the job centre are normally the bottom of the barrel and hopefully they get the drivers they deserve. If you decide to take your HGV’s take it becuase you want to be a truck driver not becuase you think you are going to make loads of money. However you should be able to make more than that bunch are offering

Ive already got my class 2 (14 years) i was looking to see if it was worth laying out the extra dosh on a class 1 because ive had enough of chasing my [zb] all day doing multidrop

simon

Beats me how they get drivers to work for them. :question: :confused:
Usually (zb)that can’t get a job 'cos they’ve had a drink driving ban and just got their license back.
Or their hoping that some inexperienced driver will go for the experience.
It’s been said before on this site, you can get that sort of pay driving a mop and bucket. :unamused: :frowning:
Vote with your feet .
I got mi license 'cos I’m a cab happy nutter, but I still won’t do owt for nowt not where those MFs are concerned.

edited for language mrs mix

Sorry Simon I miss read you post :blush: . Well you can earn more than that on Class 1 work and you are more likley to get less drops and maybe more distance work or trunking work on Class 1. There are a couple of hauliers round here offering to put class 2 drivers through the class 1 test, this may also happen in you part of the world.

And don’t forget the fact that so many companies lie to get more drivers, and then wonder how come you quit when they don’t keep up their end of the bargain… :unamused:

Like its all been said crap money for a crap firm… i wouldnt get outta bed for that sort of money…but as a footnote…a friend of mine told me at the weekend his boss has said they have to take a cut in wages by £1 an hour…he said what if we dont the boss said there are plenty of east europeans willing to do it for less…so he told them to stick it…and is now unemployed…good ere innit

have a nice day

Simon. It might be well worth doing your Class 1 then you’ve got it. However, I’m driving a rigid myself at the moment as the work’s easier and the pay’s more than I was getting on an artic (£7-00 per hour). He’s a decent gaffer as well, so I can’t see myself going back on the artics for the extra hassle unless the money’s really good. IE £9-00 per hour :wink: . Food for thought.

Is it any wonder there is a driver shortage ?

er… nope.

Not sure why the wages away from the London area haven’t gone the same way.

robB39:
Beats me how they get drivers to work for them. :question: :confused:

HAHA they don’t… thats why they’re advertising at the job center… . :wink: