Hgv driver shortage?? Dorset.

Hi Guys, all i hear and read and see is that theres a HGV driver shortage, but i cannot seem to find any decent jobs advertised?
UNLESS you want to work for an Agency? I maybe old fashioned but agency workers in my experience get a week here 5 weeks there then you get the dear Deidre letter! Also when im looking for jobs class 1 they are paying as low as 9 an hour?? Really?? Im currently driving class 2 (3years, ten years with same company) and getting much better than that and a pension and 28 days holiday.
Thinking ive wasted my money believing the bullxxxx you read.
Looking to relocate (go back home) to Dorset and drive class 1 but drawing a blank, any others in same boat? Any recomendations?

There is no driver shortage. Anywhere.

stagedriver:
There is no driver shortage. Anywhere.

I noticed: who makes it up… Makes you wonder.

Agencies and the dreaded br*okers to stir up business.

Driver shortage where :open_mouth: not seen it yet

stagedriver:

Amen to that brother.
Agencies… Hate um…

stagedriver:

You probably need to add industry bosses into that, as they want a steady supply of labour to use and abuse.
The last thing they want is a shortage, as then they would have to do things to attract and keep drivers.

You never will find the best jobs advertised, companies that offer top terms don’t need to because they would be beating those who want in off with a crappy stick.

They tend to rely on recommendation and sometimes look favourably on those who had the nous to seek them out and approach them politely face to face, so if you want a good job work out who’s who in your chosen area and get knocking on doors.

There is a shortage of good drivers, those who never fail to turn up, ever, and can go out and just get on with the job without being a source of constant problems and damage without moaning and wingeing, there is no actual shortage of people with vocational licences (not the same thing by any means), and when there is a shortage of licences the gubbermint of the day will chuck licences at more of the doley crew to balance the books again and import more.

Juddian:
You never will find the best jobs advertised, companies that offer top terms don’t need to because they would be beating those who want in off with a crappy stick.

They tend to rely on recommendation and sometimes look favourably on those who had the nous to seek them out and approach them politely face to face, so if you want a good job work out who’s who in your chosen area and get knocking on doors.

There is a shortage of good drivers, those who never fail to turn up, ever, and can go out and just get on with the job without being a source of constant problems and damage without moaning and wingeing, there is no actual shortage of people with vocational licences (not the same thing by any means), and when there is a shortage of licences the gubbermint of the day will chuck licences at more of the doley crew to balance the books again and import more.

Great reply, thanks. Everything you say is correct and make sense.
My only problem is i dont live in the area i would like to return to, my home town. However i am back there 3/4 times a year on mini breaks so will be knocking on doors
And 100% on the good driver score. I am currently working for a council driving and i have never seen driving like it. Unproffessional, dirty, uneducated dangerous and to top it all off these guys steal off there own! Cannot leave anything in your cab. Only today i returned after the weekend to find one of the two weekend drivers had decided to help himself to my febreeze i had left in my door pocket. Unbelievable. Stoopid in my part as i no what scum they are, had my shades half inched last month!

Yes i seen the dole was giving away class 1/2 licences, couldnt believe it…