Automatic vs Manual from 2001 - 2006

Juddian:

DCPCFML:

Juddian:
One manual that hasn’t been mentioned, that’s the Mercedes Axor, 2543 in particular, with the 8 speed slapover manual box one of the most honest basic reliable vehicles you could buy. Cheap as chips to buy cos no kudos, do not buy an auto because their autobox ruins the truck completely IMO, but the manual is a different kettle of fish entirely.

Agree but the traction is terrible on them in the wet, it’s like driving on slicks even when the tyres are brand new. Also, trying to engage reverse will put your left shoulder out :open_mouth: . They do pull extremely well though and in fact is the only Merc that actually pulls but only on the 430 engine of that era. Don’t get the 460 or any others higher or lower output as they can’t pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Also the Axor is really only for a local work. There is nowhere to relax your legs as the footwell area is very cramped. Long distance in them will crucify your knee joints after a while.

Tyres make the difference, had an 06 plate hire unit for about 8 months, during which time it snowed like billio, it would not get stuck, just dug in and pulled itself out every time, sat on half worn BandVulc remoulds, course the driver has a lot more countrol over the mid lift on that era of Axor than on nearly everything else out there, you can if you so wish cruise at limiter speed fully freighted with the mid lift still up.
Yes its not the most comfortable of wagons but if i was an OD looking for a working reliable cheapish tool one would be high on my list.
Correct about power, 430 will lug right down to 800rpm and (14litre ■■■■■■■ like) you can hear the turbo spooling up and it’ll pull hard all the way through.

Just had a poke nose on TruckTrader, pity its auto but there’s a really decent low mileage 2011 or might be 2013 Axor tractor for sale with a rear tag axle, don’t think i’ve seen one with a rear lifter before, though with the short wheelbase between steer and drive axles it could be a hard ride.

I think your memory of them mjght be a bit cloudy as the mid lift axle used to drop even on those as soon as you put a ■■■ paper in the trailer. And you couldn’t override those either. They were renowned for it.
I agree about the power in those 430s. A modern euro 5 or euro 6 of the same power output would be left for dust. In fact I had a 66 plate euro 6 2543 when I drove for Turners last weekend and it wouldn’t even maintain speed up slight inclines with an empty fridge on the back :open_mouth: . It was down to under 30mph climbing up Barton Hill on the A64, empty ! :open_mouth: An absolute hateful thing to drive. Merc have really lost their way in the past decade, their trucks are complete and utter junk.

For local to mid distance work, yes, agreed again, I would be looking at them as an owner driver. Cheap as chips but good, reliable, no-nonsense trucks.