Drivers Hours

Final Question.

Can an HGV driver work 2 blocks of 6 days weeks and make the compensation up en block on the third week.

45 Rest.
Monday to Saturday working.
Sunday rest 30 hours total
Monday to Saturday working
Monday to Friday working
45 Rest + 30 hours hours compensation. So 75 hours rest

Is this legal.

TrumanShow:
Final Question.

Can an HGV driver work 2 blocks of 6 days weeks and make the compensation up en block on the third week.

45 Rest.
Monday to Friday working

Is this legal.

Initial reaction is not legal HOWEVER it may be legal as a one off depending if the 45 rest ending on the first monday is for the week ending or the week starting

Deffon not legal as a regular pattern

There must be a full 45 in at least ever other week

More i think of it, it is legal.

working 2 x 6 days with 24 hours rest in between both periods. Compensation paid en bloc at the end

TrumanShow:
More i think of it, it is legal.

working 2 x 6 days with 24 hours rest in between both periods. Compensation paid en bloc at the end

But at the start of your 4th week you are coming off a 45/66hour break which was for the previous block you can do a 24 going into your 5th week but at the end of that week you will need a 45 hour break.

All i need to understand is can a Driver work:

2 x 6 day periods with a less than 45 hours rest.

Can he then make this up en bloc at the end of the 3rd week. 45 + Compensation

TrumanShow:
All i need to understand is can a Driver work:

2 x 6 day periods with a less than 45 hours rest.

Can he then make this up en bloc at the end of the 3rd week. 45 + Compensation

As a one off yes continuously no, ring DVSA and ask them they’re more than helpful if you ask them advice

TrumanShow:
Final Question.

45 Rest.
Monday to Friday working

Is this legal.

You are confusing the full weekly rest (45 hours) with the compensation for a reduced weekly rest, that you need to add to a weekly rest. You can not have two reductions consecutively, but you dont have to compensate until the third weekend.

So you can do
6days
Reduced rest
6 days
45 rest
5 or 6 days (depending on overall hours)
45 + compensation for reduction

A lot depends on the actual hours, and by how much you reduce your weekly rest.

This can be regular surely.

TrumanShow:

No what you’re asking is for somebody to say yes thats fine.

I dont think it is, not on a regular basis. Others seem to concur. Maybe in a very specific way its possible as a one off.

Carry on though and I’m sure someone will, whether right or wrong, give you the answer you desire.

TrumanShow:
Final Question.

45 Rest.
Monday to Friday working

Is this legal.

Not so much a “Can you?” question, but a “Should you?” Don’t unless you’re desperate to;

1. Fall asleep at the wheel.
  2. Make a catastrophic error damaging people or property.
  3. Have a heart attack at 50 and let another bloke bounce your grandchildren on his knee.

You cannot legally do below on regular basis
45 Rest.
Monday to Friday working
Making up the payback does not turn a reduced into a regular
A regular must be taken in at least every other week

Why do you think you can do otherwise :question:

Which part of unbroken 45 hours rest every week this can be reduced to 24 hours every other week don’t you understand.

The 30 hours compensation may be a misnomer to be honest. You are taking two 30 hour rests in week 2. One of them is obviously 15 hours short of 45, but the other one doesn’t need to be compensated for (my understanding anyway, happy to be corrected).

I personally can’t see how you could resume the same pattern in the fourth week, because you would need another 45 at the beginning of it. I can’t see where you would get that from.

Also, 75 hours is obviously a little over 3 days, so the beginning of the next week would be a write-off in that case?

TrumanShow:

No. The law says you must have a full 45hr uninterrupted weekly rest every fortnight.It is not mathematically possible to work 6 days every week and get a 45hr break in every other week week in, week out continuously no matter what combination of hours you use and which week you count the second half of the 45hrs off in.

Truckerian99:

TrumanShow:
Final Question.

45 Rest.
Monday to Friday working

Is this legal.

Not so much a “Can you?” question, but a “Should you?” Don’t unless you’re desperate to;

1. Fall asleep at the wheel.
  2. Make a catastrophic error damaging people or property.
  3. Have a heart attack at 50 and let another bloke bounce your grandchildren on his knee.

Exactly ! Well Said.
I Can’t be arsed to work out his work pattern, but I’m guessing he’s another ‘Endurance test artist.’’ :unamused:

As the guy says…
Or even …‘‘Why the ■■■■ would anyone want to’’ unless you have serious financial problems to the point of a couple of heavies rocking up in a Jag at the front door.
That is why this job will never get any better, too many heroes/idiots who would work 24 hour days if they were allowed…

To o/p…Take notice of no3, :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: I have seen this outcome MANY times in the many years I have done this ■■■■ job. :bulb:

75 hours off is not 2 x 45s so cannot be used as 2 regular rests