Daily rest - Weekly rest

Hello,

I am currently in the process of training for a HGV 2 licence and wanted to clarify some information.

Let’s say I work a 8am to 6pm shift Monday to Friday and all driving hours and rests are correct during the day. That makes my daily 24 hour period 8am to 8am.

I would assume then that my weekly rest would begin at 6pm on Friday (so the daily rest for the Friday 24 hour period is incorporated into the weekly rest) and then run through Saturday and Sunday but when does it stop?

If you are working a standard Monday to Sunday week, does weekly rest stop at 23:59 on Sunday or carry on until the time you start working on Monday?

Sorry if this matter has been covered to death before but I’m trying to find out if I can compensate for working one weekend shift using the following weekly rest period (where I don’t work the weekend).

Ahab:
Hello,

I am currently in the process of training for a HGV 2 licence and wanted to clarify some information.

Let’s say I work a 8am to 6pm shift Monday to Friday and all driving hours and rests are correct during the day. That makes my daily 24 hour period 8am to 8am.

I would assume then that my weekly rest would begin at 6pm on Friday (so the daily rest for the Friday 24 hour period is incorporated into the weekly rest) and then run through Saturday and Sunday but when does it stop?

If you are working a standard Monday to Sunday week, does weekly rest stop at 23:59 on Sunday or carry on until the time you start working on Monday?

Sorry if this matter has been covered to death before but I’m trying to find out if I can compensate for working one weekend shift using the following weekly rest period (where I don’t work the weekend).

If 8am to 6pm mon to fri only every week then weekly rest is 6pm fri to 8am mon = 62 hours

If you have a weekly rest from 6pm sat to 8am mon = 38 hours which leaves 7 to payback

7 hours of payback is easily fitted into a 62 hour rest because 45+7=52 so leaving 10 to spare

Does that answer your query in full?

PS - apart from when the weekly rest ends issue, you do seem to have a good grasp of the regs

Something to remember - some rules are based on the ‘fixed week’ (‘week’ is the term used in the regs) which is sunday midnight to sunday midnight and other rules are based on ‘between weekly rests’ - a weekly rest is ANY period of 24+ hours unless using that period for payback has reduced it to less than 24 hours but that is a rare thing to do

Perfect. Exactly what I needed to know. One weekend shift per fortnight is within regs as long as your weekday times are good.

Thanks, I wasn’t sure if I could fit the compensation in without the Monday morning period.

I also want to thank you as your posts have helped on a number of other issues.

When I pass my test I will move from my non-driving job to full time driving and will be picking up weekend agency work during the notice period for experience so your (and other forum members) comments on how to record other work without having to spend an hour manually updating a digital tacho was a weight off my mind.

I just want to drive!

Ahab:
Thanks, I wasn’t sure if I could fit the compensation in without the Monday morning period.

I think you have just realised that the fixed week has no bearing for the weekly rest other than the fact that there must be a weekly rest IN every fixed week
IN is not the same as WITHIN (inside) so as long as at least 1 minute of a weekly rest is IN a fixed week it can be used for that fixed week as long as it has not been used for another fixed week

I read that part of the rule but (as you said) now understand how it applies.

Again, thanks.