Can you do an extra load?

On Friday night after the chaos of Black Friday extra loads, I was asked to do some overtime and drive 60kms at midnight to a drinks warehouse. They loaded my artic trailer with… one bottle of wine.

The staff at the home delivery courier depot I delivered it to thought it was a joke when they opened the dock shutter and saw one single bottle, until I gave them the CMR to sign.

Hope you strapped it down properly :grimacing: cheers Ray.

stargazer148:

You can see my strap and load restraint bar on the right hand side, all ready to go :smiley:

I took a consignment of mobile phones into Sainsburys Hoddesdon a few months ago. Turned out to be non plural and was just one phone, wrapped to a pallet, on a trailer. The kinda thing that a van would just drop off at the gatehouse but because I was in an artic I had to go through the whole two hour rigmarole for it to be unloaded.

Q

citycat:

stargazer148:

You can see my strap and load restraint bar on the right hand side, all ready to go :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: cheers Ray

Don’t tell Gretta or she’ll be crying into her vegan noodle soup.

Have done a handful of sandwiches on an artic from a well known sarnie producer to a client (think it was a supermarket). Paperwork listed it as “test samples” and have some managers name where it had to be whisked off to.

Also seen people send a box of screws on a pallet - more wrapping than box in that case, but it wasn’t the only thing on the trailer luckily.

Our lot once unloaded me at one depot and put a single padded envelope on a pallet wrapped of course for delivery to our office. Cue very confused looks when we opened the curtain.

Having completed my day’s deliveries a few years ago, I was tasked (on overtime!) with delivering a single electric razor to Amazon at Marston Gate. In a 18 tonne rigid…

When I started my driving career in 1990 I was sent from Norfolk to Carlise with 1 x 25kg sack of rice that was missed of a consignment. Had a right old doss that day.

Was sent out in an 18 tonner with a 6 kg roll of lead apparently I wasn’t insured to drive the gaffers company car :open_mouth: cheers Ray

I had to deliver one small box of nuts… the eating type with a rigid to a place near Brisbane. At least it wasn’t on a bloody pallet though.

Slightly different, but similar… I had to deliver a load into an Amazon last year, and collect a load from the same place. For whatever reason my load in was an empty trailer. It turns out so was the collection. So I told the security guard if he opened the barrier I’d just spin round and go. No. I HAD to drop the empty in parking slot whatever, and pick up an identical empty from another slot.

Now I’m not an argumentative type. But I couldn’t help having a little barney with them about this one. They won.

Years ago used work.for Palmer. Harvey

One of the drops used do on a Saturday morning was 1 pint of milk to a shop don’t ask me why. Every Saturday without fail same shop just 1 pint.
I did say once there’s a big Tesco across the road be cheaper to go there and.buy it. As god.knows what the delivery charge would be for 1 pint of milk. She just laughed said that’s McColl’s for you

So what our collective anecdotes teach us is that there are some “inefficiencies” within the industry :laughing:

toonsy:
So what our collective anecdotes teach us is that there are some “inefficiencies” within the industry :laughing:

Yes, there are. They can be recognized by their pointy shoes and too tight shirts…

I was once booked by Australia Post to take 34 pallets from Adelaide to Sydney. 34 pallets is a neat floor load in a B Double. I had the curtain of th front trailer opened and was opening the back trailer when the forklift driver came out and asked why I was opening the curtain. I replied that I had to pickup 34 pallets. “Yeah, but they’re all empty.” he replied. :laughing:
Four pallet spaces and I got paid for a full load.

toonsy:

Also shows companies don’t have a clue
They could save money using smaller vans…mentality seems to be it’s not my money am.spending so who cares

A van may do for the one pallet drop but I doubt you’ll fit the 26 pall reload in the back of the same van

A few years ago I was sent from Chelmsford to collect a machine at Buntingford, on the way I had to call at an electrical wholesaler in Tottenham to pick up something the customer had ordered (no further details given)

Got to Tottenham and presented with a small box that I put in the cab. Got to Buntingford and they not best pleased that I’d not turned up with the street light column they were expecting and only the head!

Worst I had was about 4 years ago

Was driving a rigid 26t. Were in Manchester was loaded with a couple.of drops London area.
1drop was to some ebmaseey on London Turkish one I think.
Had 4 plts of tiles.
Couldn’t gain access. Paperwork did state 7.5t or smaller due to lack of access…got there security won’t let me.on as no space as had drive though car park. Couldn’t unlload on road was central. London double red lines.
Rang office got told.take it back.
About 2 days later they reloaded it onto me agaij. I said that’s. What took other day no access…was told it’s sorted.there keeping carpark clear. Got there. Was refused again.
So took it back n god knows where it went after thay

Some years ago now I had a regular weekly job for the USAF to Mildenhall.

They booked a 40’ trailer but most times it was 1 or 2 suitcases, IIRC the largest load was 4 palletts.

Suited me as it was a nice run with an easy load & tip and paid top rates for a 40 footer.

I seem to remember that once in the base driving was on the right and of course US Dollars needed for the canteen.