Is there any point?

Voting, at all?

This is not about Brexit. It is what is is, it should have been decide separately ( intact, years ago…), but instead it’s going to decide a general election where most voters will decide their vote based on their brexit stance.
We know that the established politiker, from all parties, lie through their teeth to get elected, and that everything they promise before an election, is null and void the morning after.
The fringe politiker, may be a bit more honest about their particular hobby horse, but are so focused that they can not deal with other matters of importance.
With that in mind, I fear that whoever wins the election, the people of this country are going to be on the rough end of a very bad ride.

The conservatives, will carry on with their austerity. Another 5 years will see Boris erode the benefit system and workers rights. Dont believe the hype of £10.00 minimum wage, if your all on 0 hour contracts, held over a barrel. In their desperate quest to pay for tax cuts, they’ll sell whatever is left in this country to the highest bidder. The gap between the haves and have nots will increase massively.

Labour will embark on a massive spending spree, mainly funded by borrowing, which will ■■■■■■■ the country. If they really implement huge tax rises for business, that will make many move out. (This, combined with a no deal brexit, will devastate industry, because of the impact on all smaller, supplying industries, their employees, and the local economy). Labour will nationalise the public services and the railways. This will initially mean a beter deal for consumers, but will labour properly manage and maintain those services? British Rail was far from perfect.

Lib Dem have proven that they could not open a door if it had instructions printed on it. If they get into a coalition again, they’ll just rubber stamp the incumbents plans.

The other parties are too narrow focused to ever consider as a serious vote, and if used to create a majority government, will only focus on their core issue, and be a disruption in other matters (e.g. the DUP)

To be honest, this time, the politicians that are on offer, I think the country is buggered, whichever way you vote.

In a word…no.

the nodding donkey:
I think the country is buggered, whichever way you vote.

Me too

Too late now…the damage is irreparable

You are absolutely right.

"If voting made a difference, they wouldn’t let us do it. "
Samuel Langhorne Clemens (November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910)

images.jpeg-13.jpg

AndieHyde:

snopes.com/fact-check/mark- … ing-quote/

Harry Monk:

AndieHyde:

Nice one, Harry.
Moreover:

“In this country we have one great privilege which they don’t have in other countries,” Twain once said on the issue of voting. “When a thing gets to be absolutely unbearable the people can rise up and throw it off. That’s the finest asset we’ve got – the ballet box.”
L.A. Times Nov 1903.
checkyourfact.com/2019/09/16/fa … e-illegal/

Harry Monk:

AndieHyde:

It all well and good trying to debunk whose quote it may or have not been, but more to the point is the statement correct?
In reality what difference does the ordinary persons vote seem to make in most well established “democracies” ?
As it costs a lot of money to run an election campaign and a great deal of help to rise to the top of the greasy pole of politics, those that we vote to represent us are more beholden to others than the electorate, so those that really got them into power will be the ones who call the shots.
And I can pretty much say regardless of who I vote for, I’ll get a conservative MP where I am, and throughout of much of the UK the same party will get represent the constituency as have done for decade, so the government is really decided by a few floating voters in a relatively few constituencies.

Something Mark Twain is verified as having said, which is one of my favourite quotes of his as I move ever closer to the end myself…

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

I will vote but no probably no point. Nothing will really change with any party or combination of parties who get in. The ones that are likely to have power are too scarred to do anything drastic because anything drastic with be unpopular with 50% of people therefore losing them votes. The parties who would actually make real change never get many votes so don’t have a chance. I live in a Tory area always has been and always will be. If I don’t want Tory’s best I can do is a tactical vote because the party I would actually like to see in power have no chance in my area. So therefore when I vote I’m still not even voting the party I want. So what’s the bloody point really.

The Tories will win again. The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. Same, same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, hands up, who doesnt think Proportional Representation is the way to go? . Its not an open and shut case of course, here are some arguments going both ways.
theweek.co.uk/22271/proport … s-and-cons
and
bbc.com/news/uk-england-39847512

If you want your country smothered in concrete,fighting wars for the federal reserve,unfettered clandestine immigration,5g technology,fill your boots and vote for any of the sons of satan you can’t really go wrong.

Rowley010:
I will vote but no probably no point. Nothing will really change with any party or combination of parties who get in. The ones that are likely to have power are too scarred to do anything drastic because anything drastic with be unpopular with 50% of people therefore losing them votes. The parties who would actually make real change never get many votes so don’t have a chance. I live in a Tory area always has been and always will be. If I don’t want Tory’s best I can do is a tactical vote because the party I would actually like to see in power have no chance in my area. So therefore when I vote I’m still not even voting the party I want. So what’s the bloody point really.

So surely the noble way to go is to abstain from voting in the absence of any of big corpas usual panto dames rolled out periodically for the terminally deluded. :open_mouth:

manalishi:

Rowley010:

So surely the noble way to go is to abstain from voting in the absence of any of big corpas usual panto dames rolled out periodically for the terminally deluded. :open_mouth:

Not really though. All that achieves, is that you effectively vote for the biggest party/candidate. Even spoing your ballot paper, is effectively helping the biggest candidate win, even if they only have a small majority on a 30% turnout. And to be honest, non of the shower of ■■■■ care if we spoil our ballot papers to show our contempt. Unless we forcefully remove them, they know that we can do sweet f.a.

The system is truly broken.

It’s disturbing.Were not making any progress as a speices if we continuously look to these creeps for any kind of deliverance and yet bang on q the whole noxious festival of crapola plays out every four years and still people in Pavlovian fashion actually buy into this garbage.

It needs to be fully understood the government aint working for any agenda other than the 1% of the 1% keeping their ilk sufficently insulated from the teeming masses,who by sheer numbers could wipe them out in days.The likes of Mogg,johnson et al are enemies of us all not our saviours,they’re factory farmed for this task.If they’re no longer in so called power they won’t go short of anything whatsoever,quite the opposite.

Franglais:
So, hands up, who doesnt think Proportional Representation is the way to go? . Its not an open and shut case of course, here are some arguments going both ways.
and

The country was offered a change to the voting system when the Tory/Lib coalition was in and said they liked the status quo so the public can’t complain as they have the system they voted for

the nodding donkey:

manalishi:

Rowley010:

Not really though. All that achieves, is that you effectively vote for the biggest party/candidate. Even spoing your ballot paper, is effectively helping the biggest candidate win, even if they only have a small majority on a 30% turnout. And to be honest, non of the shower of [zb] care if we spoil our ballot papers to show our contempt. Unless we forcefully remove them, they know that we can do sweet f.a.

The system is truly broken.

You can’t break a system that was never fixed in the first place.The way it works,100 year old Winnifred Bracegirdle is wheelchaired to the polling station,she’s a little compromised on health grounds “saw the titanic set off”,“and you could always leave your front door open in those days”…Winnifeds the only person in the country voting by some strange quirk of fate.Guess what??..the party she votes gets it’s mandate,the immigration plague continues apace,goodbye greenbelt,world war3 gathers momentum.A mass stay away needs to happen.All this tactical voting is the precise mechanism the real,concealed,power elite utilises to engineer the outcomes they desire.

Mazzer2:

Franglais:
and

The country was offered a change to the voting system when the Tory/Lib coalition was in and said they liked the status quo so the public can’t complain as they have the system they voted for

The Alternative Vote system proposed in the 2011 vote was an alternative to First Past The Post, but not truly a Proportional Representation system.
If youve a free hour or so look at this: [electoral-reform.org.uk/vot ... ng-system/](https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/voting-systems/types-of-voting-system/) Ten different voting systems, with appraisals of how they rate in different ways. AV is hardly a "better" system than FPTP in many aspects. Roy Jenkins recommended not AV but AV+ in his commissions report.
Single Transferable Vote? What say you?

People have given there lives to vote across the world, there are countries were if you don’t vote you get jailed.
Throughout history the right for democracy has cost millions of people there lives, if you don’t vote, then you are a fool, If nobody was to vote, then the rule of power will go to those in charge, and we then get a dictatorship… Think before you say “I’m not voting”

Arn’t we already living in an elected dictatorship.

For years if you voted for the big 3, okay the big 2.5, you got exactly the same results just with a different colour rosette on the winning donkey, far as i can see nothing’s changed, just look at the hatred being whipped up against Farage because he’s threatening to to upturn the present day equivalent of the established money lenders tables, and what the msm and all the others would like is for him to get back in his box and allow whichever of the 2.5 teams to take their turn, same results then as its been all of my life.

Yes i shall vote, for if i don’t i shall be a hypocrit for complaining about what we will receive over the next 5 years, and i shall vote positively, ie for someone/something that i want and not negatively, ie to keep the supposedly most dangerous of the 3 lunatics from getting the keys to number 10, a theme the tories have used for years and it appears still works.

If this election produces another 5 years of the same old and we’re still here in 5, then i shall join my dearly beloved in this being the very last election i shall vote in and i shall not bother caring or commenting on whatever the future brings…and yes that’s wrong but how i feel now, even if only 5 people voted in each constituency and one candidate had more votes then they would still be the outright winner and again nothing would change.

We are at a point in time when democracy is at an end in this country, the last 3.5 years have proved beyond all doubt to all of us, whichever side we are on, that the system is broken, they had foresight (how apt) when they used various shootings as the excuse needed to disarm the proletariat, a defenceless population cannot defend itself from an overbearing out of control state.

In some ways i want Corbyn to win, the tories and their backers deserve him and what he will do to them and their wallets, he’ll hurt us but few of us have umpteen millions up for grabs.
He won’t be able to do half the stuff he promises anyway, cos the EU (which all 3 parties wish to stay in) won’t allow him to, but never let reality get in the way of a good tory operation fear.