Double decker curtainsiders and strapping

Not that I’m going to be doing this anytime soon, but… how on earth do you secure your load in one of those things?
I could understand it if you were doing just one drop and had XL curtains and a properly packed load, but I’m doubting that’s the norm?

Not many multidrops done on DDs. Ther are mostly used for inter-depot work and in my experience, the pallets on the top deck are never strapped. Pallets on the bottom are only strapped if they are wobbly.

Santa:
Not many multidrops done on DDs. Ther are mostly used for inter-depot work and in my experience, the pallets on the top deck are never strapped. Pallets on the bottom are only strapped if they are wobbly.

And the ministry at Todhills has a field day because of that.

In my experience, if you can’t restrain the load in the trailer provided, then the wrong type of trailer is being used for the job.

Zac_A:
Not that I’m going to be doing this anytime soon, but… how on earth do you secure your load in one of those things?
I could understand it if you were doing just one drop and had XL curtains and a properly packed load, but I’m doubting that’s the norm?

Never pulled a curtain side DD but I would imagine its the same as a solid sided,strap the top deck whilst its on the lower level then raise it.
As others have said DD`s are very rarely used for multi drop, if ever.

Been busy recently pulling B&Q DD’s and these have an inner curtain for the top deck, with straps down to the the inside to the trailer floor, then roughly every 3rd of both decks had a sheet hanging down from rails that can be wrapped around the load much like the sheets used on brewery work, the neck usually has 4 straps each side and 1 sheet hanging down to wrap around the rear of the load in that compartment.
Closest I get to multi drop is with these is 2 store deliveries

I did some work for palletways which is all multidrop. bottom deck can be strapped but only light pallets went up top with no straps at all

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cheers for the replies guys, should I ever get one of these to deal with I’ll have a much better idea of what to do.

chester:
In my experience, if you can’t restrain the load in the trailer provided, then the wrong type of trailer is being used for the job.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
yep,perfect post yet again.
in my opinion if that was the case it would be,wait till saturday and take my pocket money straight down to woolworths for a different one.#

youtube.com/watch?v=hZ3h-6_ZbhU

lolipop:
Never pulled a curtain side DD but I would imagine its the same as a solid sided,strap the top deck whilst its on the lower level then raise it.
As others have said DD`s are very rarely used for multi drop, if ever.

Most if not all pallet network deckers have fixed decks.
Strapping I’ve seen is via internals from roof to floor, often not touching the load, bottom deck can use a ratchet if needed, some trailers have nets instead of internals.
We were told (at cpc, so it could be ■■■■■■ dd’s have special dispensation due to difficulty of securing top deck.

hi dd999, do they use dd in Ireland, also nice vid, who said driverless lorrys would never take off… :unamused: :wink:

I do them all the time and there are basically 2 methods.

1) When Nina is asleep:

Admire how the forkies managed to valance all that 35T of freight on a 26T trailer. Then shut the curtains and go flat to the mat, with extra points for low bridge scrapes that you just got through.

This is mostly practiced by palletforce type drivers. :slight_smile:

2) When Nina might be pulling a late one:

Top deck is virtually always fixed and on ours a 400KG limit per pallet. Pretty sure most will be the same. Anything on top is secured either by a net or internal straps (most common) which are also rated to 400KG.

Bottom deck you can either use same internals hanging from roof or for over 400KG you have to strap with ratchets. I have seen some with a net all the way down but going by what i saw in Palletforce recently that is very rare.

That’s the official way although don’t get too close as it’s amazing how many use internals for everything inc 1T pallets. Its the posh ones that have netting.

isaac hunt:
We were told (at cpc, so it could be [zb]) dd’s have special dispensation due to difficulty of securing top deck.

I’ve asked to see these DVSA Dispensations.
The short answer is they don’t exist.
DHL hoodwinked all their drivers into believing they had one on the Jag/Land Rover contract.
The only ones who believed it were the DHL employed drivers,the gullible saps.

Particularly interested to hear from anyone, who believes they are running loads unrestrained because they’ve been told they have DVSA dispensation.

chester:

isaac hunt:
We were told (at cpc, so it could be [zb]) dd’s have special dispensation due to difficulty of securing top deck.

DHL hoodwinked all their drivers into believing they had one on the Jag/Land Rover contract.

Particularly interested to hear from anyone, who believes they are running loads unrestrained because they’ve been told they have DVSA dispensation.

Why? so you can grass em up.

peeej48:
Why? so you can grass em up.

Yep

chester:

isaac hunt:

Everything has dispensation, as such, ultimately it’s up to a court to decide whether a load is insecure or not. As I’ve said several times before I know a firm that moves large quarry stones that’s been taken to court multiple times by traffic police for unstrapped/unchained loads, who predominantly pursued such cases as VOSA/DVSA previously never had a great deal of interest in load security, every time the police have lost.

m.a.n rules:
hi dd999, do they use dd in Ireland, also nice vid, who said driverless lorrys would never take off… :unamused: :wink:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
theres not an over abundance of them but theres a few around.
different story in eire as when they built the dublin tunnel they built it 4 or 5 inches too low,so the easy answer was ban all high lorries. :slight_smile:

chester:
…DHL hoodwinked all their drivers into believing they had one on the Jag/Land Rover contract.

On the DIY contract DHL were given a temporary dispensation to use simple side nets but they were supposed to update them over time which they apparently didn’t. When XPO took over they had at least one DD pulled by VOSA and the company then had to modify all the DDs by having XL curtains, rated inner straps and nets, together with the internal kites going across as Peirre mentioned above. It is up to the driver to be sure that all pallets are safe, as far as pallet wrapping and cage stacking is concerned, before taking the trailer out. This has satisfied VOSA for now.

Own Account Driver:

chester:

isaac hunt:

Everything has dispensation, as such, ultimately it’s up to a court to decide whether a load is insecure or not. As I’ve said several times before I know a firm that moves large quarry stones that’s been taken to court multiple times by traffic police for unstrapped/unchained loads, who predominantly pursued such cases as VOSA/DVSA previously never had a great deal of interest in load security, every time the police have lost.

A 2 second google finds this gov.uk/government/publicati … r-guidance

Taken from that,

6.2 Double-deck trailers

Double-deck trailers are designed to optimise the available space in trailers. This reduces the carbon footprint and improves efficiency.

These benefits have led to an increase in their use over the last few years.

Risks assessments and securing solutions

Working at height can be problematic on any vehicle, however double decks present particular problems.

Operators and consignors (the person sending a shipment) should make sure that a thorough risk assessment has been carried out to identify the most practicable means of loading and securing goods on the vehicle.

Securing solutions are available to help to mitigate the risks of working at height on double deck trailers. For example, netting and strapping systems that attach to the trailer roof and can be pulled into place over the load and secured to the vehicle chassis from ground level allow goods to be secured without accessing the load bed.

Carrying palletised loads

Double deck trailers often carry palletised loads. Individual laden pallets are known as:

‘light pallets’ if they weigh up to 400kg

‘heavy pallets’ if they weight over 400kg

do not use the upper deck for carrying stacked pallets or pallets weighing over 400kg.

Secure heavy pallets and stacked laden light pallets on the lower deck with rave to rave lashing or something similar.

Load securing on the upper deck

RHA, The Pallet Network (TPN) and the Association of Pallet Networks (APN) gave DVSA an acceptable solution on loading and securing for double-deck trailers:

Laden pallets on the upper deck of double-deck curtain-siders should be single-stacked; and weigh no more than 400kg each.

RHA, TPN, APN and enforcement bodies have agreed that the use of an extra internal curtain with integral straps designed to hug the load on the upper deck is a practicable means of mitigating the risks of falling objects during unloading and working at height.

This arrangement can be used by any operator or trailer manufacturer. It’s recommended particularly for new trailers, but can also be fitted retrospectively.

The benefit of the internal curtain with integral straps is that it contains the pallets more effectively than using internal straps alone. This improves safety both on the road and in the workplace.

So like OAD says plenty for a loophole lawyer to be getting on with there and certainly different rules for top deck freight.ie.no mention of positive fit and use of the words where practicable