Whoops

bbc.com/news/uk-england-lei … e-46882786

Hit within minutes? How the hell, beggars belief.

And they also stopped two other drivers. What the hell has to be done to stop these incompetents?

Hey these heroes are clearing the way for us. Show some respect.

madmackem:

And they also stopped two other drivers. What the hell has to be done to stop these incompetents?

There’s something more in the story that isn’t being mentioned. Why has the bridge height been temporarily reduced by 2ft? That’s why the bridge has been hit.

tallyman:

madmackem:

There’s something more in the story that isn’t being mentioned. Why has the bridge height been temporarily reduced by 2ft? That’s why the bridge has been hit.

It’s mentioned quite blatantly in the article.

Bridge height has been reduced as there’s a wooden for work under the bridge to allow fresh mortar to go off. ■■■■ me, there are signs all over the bridge, and advanced warnings.

Time for the points and fine to become mandatory on bridge strikes.
5 points and £1000 fine as a minimum.

“But boss, they covered up the sign so I assumed the pixies had magically increased the height overnight…”. :wink:

One issue might simply be for anyone who cant read English brilliantly.

They know the normal height signs and their trailer height, but if you’re in a foreign country or simply can’t read (uncorrected dislexia etc) and see a sign full of garbage, they might be tempted to just ignore it thinking its just saying something like “railway related roadworks”.

Shouldn’t of course and might not be the case here, but personally I’d put a temp sign up just stating the new bridge height like we have temp speed limit signs. Cheaper than having a bridge hit.

I know it shouldn’t be necessary but the technology to have large flashing signs when a vehicle is too high has been around for years, why isn’t it being used.

I think the way to stop this happening is to make it impossible for drivers not to know their vehicle is too high then come down hard on drivers who still hit bridges.

I’m not trying to excuse drivers who hit bridges btw :wink:

Sent from my mobile.

Did Citroen at one time have it so the spedo was projected on to the windscreen. If something similar with a height indicator could be done so as the height is constantly in the drivers eye line. This might help them notice it more. I know that they should know but as they say every little helps.

trevHCS:
One issue might simply be for anyone who cant read English brilliantly.

They know the normal height signs and their trailer height, but if you’re in a foreign country or simply can’t read (uncorrected dislexia etc) and see a sign full of garbage, they might be tempted to just ignore it thinking its just saying something like “railway related roadworks”.

Shouldn’t of course and might not be the case here, but personally I’d put a temp sign up just stating the new bridge height like we have temp speed limit signs. Cheaper than having a bridge hit.

Not just me who thinks foreigners must have a hard time sometimes with signs, Welsh signs are a joke when it’s a massive sign on the motorway about when a road near a junction is being closed for roadworks on such and such days, between the hours of etc