Double decker

Hi all but of advice please still a bit new to the industry

Have to reverse a double decker under a canopy today,
If I lower trailer suspension will it stay lowered as I reverse

Cheers tony,

Yeah, just don’t pull the handle back out again until you’ve pulled away from under the canopy

Just out of interest, why do you have to lower the suspension? If the clearance is that tight then I wouldn’t even be considering doing it.

tallyman:
Just out of interest, why do you have to lower the suspension? If the clearance is that tight then I wouldn’t even be considering doing it.

Indeed.

Do double deckers have a trailer suspension you can lower generally? Only ones I’ve come across didn’t give a lever like you sometimes find on straightframes, prob due to the small wheels.

If lowering the back, just remember the front might rise so could hit any canopy amd visa versa.

Would be worried if i had to drop a suspension to fit especially if unloading as the trailer might rise due to the weight being lifted so wont fit.

If it’s a modern building I’d be surprised if the canopy hasn’t been designed with them in mind.
I had this photo on my phone I took at work, it comfortably fits without touching the trailer or suspension levels.

Click thumbnail for full pic

trevHCS:
Do double deckers have a trailer suspension you can lower generally? Only ones I’ve come across didn’t give a lever like you sometimes find on straightframes, prob due to the small wheels.

If lowering the back, just remember the front might rise so could hit any canopy amd visa versa.

Would be worried if i had to drop a suspension to fit especially if unloading as the trailer might rise due to the weight being lifted so wont fit.

Yes they do.

trevHCS:

Ours do - and also the previous fleet from a different manufacturer did. I’d say it was pretty much standard fit these days.

Topcat1522:
Hi all but of advice please still a bit new to the industry

Have to reverse a double decker under a canopy today,
If I lower trailer suspension will it stay lowered as I reverse

Cheers tony,

It certainly should stay lowered. Would be a bit pointless if it didn’t TBH.

tallyman:
If the clearance is that tight then I wouldn’t even be considering doing it.

Why?
If it won’t fit with the suspension raised but will if its lowered, why not lower it and let it fit?

The-Snowman:

tallyman:

Why?
If it won’t fit with the suspension raised but will if its lowered, why not lower it and let it fit?

Because it’s asking for trouble. One day it’ll go wrong and guess who’ll be told they shouldn’t have attemped it, even if it’s been going on for years?

If the building isn’t fit for purpose, let whoever owns or operates it fix the problem, putting yourself on the line to save some already rich landlord is a mug’s game.

The-Snowman:

tallyman:

Why?

^^^^^^^^^^
+1
another classic opinion from the future generation of snowflakes.
itl soon be at the stage of the weatherman says itl mabey snow next week,so i wont bother doing the run… :unamused:

dieseldog999:

The-Snowman:

tallyman:

Why?

^^^^^^^^^^
+1
itl soon be at the stage of the weatherman says itl mabey snow next week,so i wont bother doing the run… :unamused:

Thing is, the world’s a changed place, for better or for worse (worse in my opinion) and doing things that would have been seen as using your initiative only a few years ago, will land you in all sorts of bother now, unfortunately. The snowflakes are in charge, and have sold us to insurance companies. A bloody sad state of affairs, but the guy who asked the question is new, and this is likely to be the state of the world of work he is entering.

The recent tang A75 video had me grinning, but also thinking it was mental to post it on soshul meeja because of the inevitable “disgusted of Dumfries” response.

Only 20 years ago (or less), plod weren’t bothered if you were doing 100k’s at 3am, it got you through their area quicker, likewise if you had 8 off one night in a week, nobody cared. Now, you get the big house for it.

The way I deal with it is play them at their own game, sorry mate can’t do that because rule this or regulation that. It’s the only way I can see of getting things relaxed a bit, but I could be wrong.

At the end of the day, pushing yourself for hauliers or customers only has one benefactor and it ain’t the driver.

Finally, consider what you believed in say, 1990 and what you believe now, in terms of where work, business and law enforcement are going. It ain’t pretty.

So what we are saying here is this; A piece of kit has been designed to alter the height of a trailer.

But if the clearance is tight, best not to bother. Maybe the medical profession should stop doing delicate operations then.

Ffs :unamused: Some sad characters on here these days…

if you cant be sure of the outcome and you work for a beancounter company,then why dont you just pass the buck back to the traffic office and get someone to tell you that its ok or not.
if you get paid from the neck down,then let the pointy shoes mob take the blame for you.

If I asked someone in our office whether a trailer would fit somewhere or not, they would be coming to
Me to find out!
The bottom line is, if it fits it fits, if it doesn’t it doesn’t.
I’m not sure why some people make such a big fuss about it.
Take responsibility for your actions and get on with it

Drempels:

dieseldog999:

The-Snowman:

tallyman:

Why?

^^^^^^^^^^
+1

Thing is, the world’s a changed place, for better or for worse (worse in my opinion) and doing things that would have been seen as using your initiative only a few years ago, will land you in all sorts of bother now, unfortunately. The snowflakes are in charge, and have sold us to insurance companies. A bloody sad state of affairs, but the guy who asked the question is new, and this is likely to be the state of the world of work he is entering.

The recent tang A75 video had me grinning, but also thinking it was mental to post it on soshul meeja because of the inevitable “disgusted of Dumfries” response.

Only 20 years ago (or less), plod weren’t bothered if you were doing 100k’s at 3am, it got you through their area quicker, likewise if you had 8 off one night in a week, nobody cared. Now, you get the big house for it.

The way I deal with it is play them at their own game, sorry mate can’t do that because rule this or regulation that. It’s the only way I can see of getting things relaxed a bit, but I could be wrong.

At the end of the day, pushing yourself for hauliers or customers only has one benefactor and it ain’t the driver.

Finally, consider what you believed in say, 1990 and what you believe now, in terms of where work, business and law enforcement are going. It ain’t pretty.

I’m thinking of the other thread where some drivers in the company are encouraged to break the speed limit “to make the boat” but a driver is disciplined because some idiot member of the public filmed him speeding.

Yeah, putting yourself on the line to make multinational companies richer…