Double Deck trailers?

Has anybody had any experience with these, are they very different to a normal trailer, apart from the obvious height.
Thanks
SMc

I used to drive double deckers for Direct Line (Next) in Leeds.

There’s nowt too tricky about 'em really, yes they are tall (ours were 15’9") and the centre of balance is a bit higher, but as long as it’s loaded properly (with the heavy stuff downstairs!) there shouldn’t be much difference. Although they do catch the wind a bit!

Thanks for that, can’t be as hard as 22t of hanging beef…
SMc

nothing to em really, just don’t go lobing them into turns to hard :open_mouth:

And clipping curbs,and when vehicle checking dont forget the inside tyres

Nothing to them really, as said before just watch what your doing in the corners they also tend to have smaller wheels and really watch bridge heights.

My first class 1 driving job after passing my test was on double decker trailers.

If your picking one up, or getting one loaded on a bay, make sure you check its been loaded properly.

Common sense the heavy stuff should be on the bottom, but common sense isnt always used when some people load trucks. ive gone in the back of a double decker trailer and found only the top deck loaded with pallets coke and nothing on the bottom.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … k+trailers

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … k+trailers

Etc etc…

Ken.

I saw one of these the other day whilst on a trip to the UK - they dont half look weird when youre used to everything being 4 metres max.

Shrek, going back a bit since Direct line had DD-s, or pulled out of Benyon Park.

had 1 on today as it goes,a 15ft 6,just watch what weight they’re putting up top,i recently had 8x4 chip board up there,not big not clever. :imp:

Straight frame or step frame?
We have several straight frame deckers and the dedicated units for them have a dual height fifth wheel so the unit can be used for DD’s or normal height trailers.The traffic office ALWAYS give us a suitable unit for a DD,but if the previous driver was pulling a normal trailer,it pays to check the fifth wheel height before backing under!
Our DD’s are all box’s,with a hydraulic lifting floor.When tipping,be sure the bottom deck is completely empty before dropping the top deck to floor level!
Be sure you know how it’s loaded.One of ours went out a few weeks ago,the warehouse crew fond after they’d loaded the top deck with pallets and sent it up,there was next to nothing to go on the floor.
The driver,unaware,went out of the yard,200 yards at the first roundabout,over she went.

del949:
Shrek, going back a bit since Direct line had DD-s, or pulled out of Benyon Park.

You’re right! I did work out of Benyon Park as it happens, do we know each other I wonder? I was there (on the agency) for about a year. This will have been around the mid 90’s. You may have known me as “Picky”.

used to pull them at halfords not a problem always marked up at 15.9 but went under the 15.6 bridge on the north circular and the woolwich ferry :sunglasses:

Shrek:
You may have known me as “Picky”.

Because you were particular about things or nose related? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Sorry Shreck, don’t know you by that name.
May know you by sight as did a fair amount of “piggy back team” in the early 90’s
and nights, out of Bradford after that so would have seen you at depots etc.

The main thing to watch with double deck trailers apart from their height is, as has already been posted, how they are loaded. I did some agency work for Great Mills (when they were still going) at Severnside and the loaders there had great delight in putting pallets of paint or tiles on the top deck, with cages of light bulbs and other lightweight stuff on the bottom deck. Great, until the first sharp bend or roundabout . Check before setting off if you possibly can.

I’ve pulled double deck curtainsiders for 3 1/2 years on a pallet network. Nothing to them except as has been said - they can be a bit wobbly on bends or in the wind. Main thing is loading - keep the weight low down and at the front if possible. Horrible things if the front is light and the back heavy. Particularly on step frames. I came back last night with 11t on the drive axle, 6.5t on the lift and steer, then about 16t between the three trailer axles. Absolute dream to pull :smiley: If the rear top deck lifts, (a lot do these days) try to keep them up - it stops the loaders putting weight on the top deck at the back end - the worst place for it. Makes the tail wag the dog so to speak :open_mouth: