New Actros - video tour

The new Actros launched at the IAA in Hanover, Will Shiers takes a look around
youtu.be/7u0qV98M4hg

Not sure im happy about mirrors being replaced by cameras. Im sure it helps keep the width down but there’s too much can go wrong with a camera

More automation.

Brilliant idea: Let’s give the steering wheel jockies yet another excuse to go to sleep.

:imp: :imp: :imp:

How many reverse manoeuvres will someone manage until that ‘ipad’ receives a lft hook or an uppercut and ends up on the floor? :laughing:

Frankly they could make the interior like a Rolls Royce, I still wouldn’t want one unless they did something drastic about how the things drive. They are still one of the worst marques on the market for driving pleasure in my opinion.

rob22888:
Frankly they could make the interior like a Rolls Royce, I still wouldn’t want one unless they did something drastic about how the things drive. They are still one of the worst marques on the market for driving pleasure in my opinion.

+1…

I’ve looked underneath but still can’t see where the railway sleepers actually are for the suspension.

Mine say’s 450 but I swear to god 300 of them are stood around having a union meeting all the time. It’s embarrassing!

But, I really do like the idea of electric mirrors. Just think, approaching a roundabout without having to rock back and forth like a possessed demon to see if it’s clear. A whole window with an unobscured view to look out of!

Nice blind spot created by that ‘mirror’,Roundabouts will be fun…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xichrisxi:
Nice blind spot created by that ‘mirror’,Roundabouts will be fun…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree but…

Nowhere near as bad as the monster blind spots from MAN and other similar motors. I’d rather adapt to what your picture shows than occaisionally slamming it all on at a roundabout becuase a mid-size car has ‘appeared’ from nowhere right in front of me. The nearside blindspot is 99% gone.

Replacing the camera won’t be much more expensive than replacing a mirror :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Remove blind spots and create a massive blindspot on already chunky A pillars.

All the tech in the world won’t make them ride any better.

I was out in an old style 13 plate last night and the ride was a lot better than our new 17 plates.

I’d still be happy if I never had to drive a turd merc truck ever again.

simcor:
Remove blind spots and create a massive blindspot on already chunky A pillars.

I agree…

To a point, but it’s not a massive blindspot also, Merc are confident that the braking assist will stop us from squashing little old ladies on pension day. I like large A pillars becasue they offer me a modicum of protection should anything really nasty occur.

I don’t think the angle of the photo helps either. In reality you’re higher up than the picture and probably have a better view.

Bottom line, if your firm is Mercedes supplied, like it or not you’ll be having no mirrors before next Xmas.

Replaced one blind spot, the mirrors with another blind spot I’m not likely to be driving one anytime soon as we have the entry level Actros, so I cant say until that day.

However I will gurantee one thing, there will be at leat one major issue as with nearly all Mercs since time immimorial

1. The gearbox, works perfectly well until you need it most then proceeds to play random tunes.

2. The steering will pull violently to the left to the point where steering with one hand becomes un comfortable.

3. Performance, Ignore the badge on the door the thing sees a hill in the distance and slows down I have been passed by a tractor on the A30.

4. Ride quality, The lower you go down the range the worse it gets, Very similar to a Seddon Atkinson except the Atki steered straight and had a bit of go in comparison, don’t drive with your thumbs under the bar on the steering wheel one good pot hole will likely see them dislocated.

And another thing why 8 cup holders, the ergonomics of the cabs are good and generally well put together they look quite good and are generally reliable and the new ones are excellent on fuel has anyone else got a unit with 8 cup holders it baffles me.

Are you LISTENING mercedes■■?

yourhavingalarf:
Bottom line, if your firm is Mercedes supplied, like it or not you’ll be having no mirrors before next Xmas.

I won’t have to worry about them for a while yet.

Our last Volvos go by the end of this year so we won’t see those until our fleet gets replaced again in 5 years.

4 years time for the current 17 plates and a year or so later for the next lot that are replaced.

Hopefully by then we will back to having better motors than crappy Mercs.
Thats if I’m here that long of course.

Ah well if the screen goes down it’s parked and on the bunk waiting for recovery.
If it fails on the road it’s pull up contact the Womble squad or plod.
“ sorry can’t move , no mirrors “
Crack on

if the camera mirror turns off whilst the keys are out of the ignition, then how are you supposed to see what the loading bay lights are showing if you’re on a back end tip ?

roughyed:
if the camera mirror turns off whilst the keys are out of the ignition, then how are you supposed to see what the loading bay lights are showing if you’re on a back end tip ?

That’s quite simple really look for the colour shining on trailer next to you or open the door and have a look back at it.

Instead of all these fancy ■■■■ gimmicks which many drivers don’t really want, and imo are totally unneccessary (unless you are some ham fisted incompetent driver/buffoon type that is) they should have spent the money they invested in all that crap on making the truck suspension resembling an ERF from the 80s on leaf springs, not to mention all the other many faults on these heaps of ■■■■.

As somebody said…Mercedes are you reading and taking note of what most Merc drivers think of your trucks? :bulb:

roughyed:

I wouldn’t worry, in most cases in the UK you’ll be sat on a plastic chair in some craphole of a waiting room anyway

robroy:

roughyed:

I wouldn’t worry, in most cases in the UK you’ll be sat on a plastic chair in some craphole of a waiting room anyway

And unfortunately who’s fault is that

Oh yeah the drivers who think they can beat the system