Man 8.163 wiring

Afternoon

After trying to bodge some spot lights on I’ve managed to loose my radio, interior lights, and hazard lights (but still have indicators) all fuses are ok and I have changed the relevant (I think) relays but still no joy, can’t see any burnt/damaged wires either

Anyone any good with wiring ?

Thanks

It might help to describe how and where you’ve tried to connect them up mate…

Fair enough mate, I needed a live for the spotlight switch so found the live that feeds the hazard switch and joined onto that, that didn’t work so found a live coming from a battery guard by the fuse box, when I flicked switch that made the wires smoke so disconnected it. It just seems odd to be those 3 things that no longer work ?

OK, not ideal places to try and pick up, and as you’ve been making some smoke its probably worth getting an auto sparky involved to locate and rectify damage. As far as getting things connected, your safest bet is fitting a relay with a permanent (fused) feed (there should be a main feed into the cab, usually passenger side) going onto pin 30 on the relay. Pin 87 will be your positive feed to the spot lights… Then locate a feed for main beam headlights. Wire that into pin 85 on the relay. Then from pin 86 run a wire to one side of your switch. Then run another wire from the other side of the switch to ground (-).

Flick the switch closed and the spots will come on with main beam. Flick the switch open and you’ll just get the standard main beam. I really would suggest getting an auto sparky on it though!

Manny650:
Afternoon

After trying to bodge some spot lights on I’ve managed to loose my radio, interior lights, and hazard lights (but still have indicators) all fuses are ok and I have changed the relevant (I think) relays but still no joy, can’t see any burnt/damaged wires either

Anyone any good with wiring ?

Thanks

It’s possible you’ve damaged the ce panel but I’d double check the fuses as all the things you’ve mentioned which have gone off are in the same fuse. There could also be a couple of fuses in the battery box I can’t remember now.

Manny650:
Fair enough mate, I needed a live for the spotlight switch so found the live that feeds the hazard switch and joined onto that, that didn’t work so found a live coming from a battery guard by the fuse box, when I flicked switch that made the wires smoke so disconnected it. It just seems odd to be those 3 things that no longer work ?

Oh god.

It doesn’t seem odd that those three things don’t work at all. You tried to draw an amount of current through the wiring that you tapped into that it isn’t designed to handle.

Did you use a relay to feed the spotlights? Am I right in thinking you wired the spotlights straight to the switch?

If so congratulations you’ve probably just knackered up the wiring loom.

The current being drawn would have overheated the wire to the point of getting red hot as they’re not rated for that amount of current. That is what was happening when you saw the wires smoke. What you wouldn’t have seen is that that was probably happening all through the wiring loom where that wire ran. That would have melted the insulation and may have also melted the insulation of the wires directly around the wire carrying the current somewhere else in the loom. If you’re lucky those are the only faults you have. If you’re unlucky then you’ll find out over the coming weeks as you start getting all kinds of electrical faults.

If you don’t know what the ■■■■ you are doing with electrics leave the ■■■■ alone and get someone who does. On modern vehicles you can cause so much damage that you can effectively write the vehicle off.

You’ll probably also find your tachograph has stopped working as that’s also on the same fuse.

Yea there’s a relay for the spot lights, I made an assumption for the power feed and obviously got it wrong
The wire that was smoking was my bodge wire, I’ve had half the dash off to follow/check the wires and there’s no evidence whatsoever of any of them melting they look perfect, which is why I’ve been checking the fuses and relays but all are ok.
I’ll just have to keep investigating

Thanks for your input