I know it’s not right

Look guys two weeks ago I lost my tramping job through the company folding, so as I need gainful employment and it’s so close the crimbo I am going take the agency route for work and gather thoughts if I want to tramp again. And I know you folks say umbrella working is a mugs game but the hr rate is a lot more and it’s only a short term fix till I find the right drive for me…

Agency work yes, however umbrella NO

I can’t see anyone criticising you. You need to earn. Agencies themselves are despised, not someone who’s been dropped in it just prior to Christmas and needs to pay the bills whilst looking. No one else on here is going to pay your mortgage whilst you look for a job.

Keep looking for a full time job bud because the arris drops out of agency work in January. Don’t believe more than 10% of what they tell you and that’s pushing it!

peirre:
Agency work yes, however umbrella NO

+1
if your going down the SE route go ltd company

TiredAndEmotional:
Keep looking for a full time job bud because the arris drops out of agency work in January. Don’t believe more than 10% of what they tell you and that’s pushing it!

Agree but also another point is that a lot of firms have already signed contracts with agencies up to and including Christmas so taking my firm as an example they aren’t recruiting at the minute.

Hell even the full time staff have been pushed about to make room for agency. I got put on Class 1 then got took off it to do Class 2 while an agency driver gets the Class 1 work because “that’s the contract” apparently.

Agency is something many of us have had to do as a stop gap and some do as it suits them, no problem with that.

But ask yourself, why is an agency willing to pay you more for going on an Umbrella scheme than PAYE?

toonsy:

TiredAndEmotional:

Agree but also another point is that a lot of firms have already signed contracts with agencies up to and including Christmas so taking my firm as an example they aren’t recruiting at the minute.

He’ll even the full time staff have been pushed about to make room for agency. I got put on Class 1 then got took off it to do Class 2 while an agency driver gets the Class 1 work because “that’s the contract” apparently.

And a lot of firms are recruiting or trying to! I always used to pick up a job around Christmas time to see me through the lean spell on agency

To be clear. You say it’s not right but being put out of work and needing to find an income quickly is not, not right. what’s not right is:-

Agency methods of employment, or lack of employment.

Those agency Lifers who made the choice. Drinking their own coolaid that they’re getting more money, adding it’s a lifestyle thing only to join in the winge on truck net about the shambolic employment terms on offer by the industry.

Mocking aside, go to Stobartski if there is a depot close enough to you.

All you need is a pulse and a driving license to get earning.

Cheers guys and hopefully very short term as job interviews lined up as yeah dropped in it neck deep with money owning to me so it’s tight for Christmas, but you got to do what you have todo to pay the bills as not going to claim off the state…

Keep it simple mate, don’t get distracted by a few quid.

If you go agency to fill the gap, go PAYE, whilst you’re waiting to get a seat at a firm. Like Beaver says, if it looks like you’ll struggle try and get with any of the big firms.

eagerbeaver:
Mocking aside, go to Stobartski if there is a depot close enough to you.

All you need is a pulse and a driving license to get earning.

Do they insist on a license now?

toonsy:

TiredAndEmotional:

Hell even the full time staff have been pushed about to make room for agency. I got put on Class 1 then got took off it to do Class 2 while an agency driver gets the Class 1 work because “that’s the contract” apparently.

Yeah you said that already but it doesn’t apply everywhere, does it? And looking won’t hurt. January on agency probably will.

Do your own thing mate, most guys on here are complete clowns who know nothing. Everybody’s worked with a “know it all” and there’s lots on here.

Pawuk:
Look guys two weeks ago I lost my tramping job through the company folding, so as I need gainful employment and it’s so close the crimbo I am going take the agency route for work and gather thoughts if I want to tramp again. And I know you folks say umbrella working is a mugs game but the hr rate is a lot more and it’s only a short term fix till I find the right drive for me…

1,sorry to hear of the loss of job… are you entitled to redundancy ? If you have been there a while go to the job centre they might be able to pay you the statutory redundancy payments .

2, as any decent hard working person, you need to put food on the table.

3, ignore people who slate agencies … use them as you need money.

4, avoid umbrella …

Look after No1 do whatever it suits for you to earn a crust

TiredAndEmotional:

toonsy:

TiredAndEmotional:

Yeah you said that already but it doesn’t apply everywhere, does it? And looking won’t hurt. January on agency probably will.

Of course it never hurts to look. I’m always looking even though I do have a full time job but I’ve noticed in the last month or so a lot of full time permanent roles seem to go missing and the agency temporary work swamps it.

What my firm, and others, have done is naturally them wanting to make sure their work is covered. But in the New Year theyre looking for around 20 drivers to recruit.

Try xpo logistics they are taking on full time everywhere .Sod agencies they will ruin your new year pal.

If it was me i would try agency but see if you can get on with a big firm and see what happens.The issue you could have is january but sorry for the problems at this time of year its no nice.