Is there still a role for unions?

unitetheunion.org/news/hallo … et-terror/

If anything it’s raising awareness of the poor conditions.

Got Unite at my place and to be fair they do a good job of ensuring things are done properly. I mean it’s never going to be like the days of Rover again but is that a bad thing? Look what happened…

Unite are to organise a Halloween protest, FFS that sounds frightening. robroy will be there in his dracula outfit no doubt.

I have to ask to use the toilet at my place. if there isn’t any cover, I don’t get go outside of designated breaks. :laughing:

oh and my job is heavily unionised

unitetheunion.org/how-we-hel … -loos-4-u/

This campaign to permit visiting drivers to use the loo has just this week been successful

who knows? but at least they are trying to make the job better
unitetheunion.org/news/bogus … -tribunal/

Euro:
http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/halloween-protest-over-dpd-toilet-terror/

Abso bloody lutely!

Unions are only as good as the numbers who are in and the solidarity of those drivers. Where I am it’s recognised and it’s very strong. Company is split into sub fleets (as they bought up various smaller concerns). Our terms are far better than the other divisions. Only last week we were exempted from the service station accounts thanks to the unions clout. We now pay again (and claim back) and get a food voucher. In the past several grand was offered to the drivers to unrecognise the union, plus threats of job losses if drivers didn’t comply. Drivers voted to reject the company offer and the company had to back down and accept defeat. Solidarity is everything, you’ve got to stick together to earn your rights and preserve those rights that have been hard fought to win.

My current job is heavily unionised, it is by far the best job I have ever had in transport.

So yes they do have a roll to play.

What company do you work for that is heavily unionised?

No.

adam277:
What company do you work for that is heavily unionised?

One of the supermarkets.

codge123:

Don’t get this one,

The crux of the case is that Gary Sharrock had to set up his own company, while the work he did driving across the north of England was the same as those employed on a Pay As You Earn (PAYE) basis.

Unite Legal Services said that Mr Sharrock did not want to work on these terms, ‘but was not offered, or advised he could undertake, work on any other basis’. The union claims that ADR and PPF do ‘engage employers on a PAYE basis’, but that he ‘was not afforded that option’.

Set up as a ltd co as he didn’t want to work PAYE, but complains that he wasn’t offered the option :confused:

He requested holiday to be taken in July this year and this was refused. He argues that he is entitled to be paid for statutory annual leave since he started work in September 2016

Isn’t that one of the reasons for working agency? You want time off, you say 'I’m not available from X to Y" and that’s the end of it.

UKtramp:
Unite are to organise a Halloween protest, FFS that sounds frightening. robroy will be there in his dracula outfit no doubt.

No I’m attending Red Robbo’s funeral on that day. :smiley:

robroy:

UKtramp:

Great, well now through your obstinate stance your mates will simply have to ■■■■ themselves rob, hope you sleep well at night. Toilets are important and this Halloween themed protest will now be put in jeopardy.

UKtramp:

robroy:

UKtramp:

Great, well now through your obstinate stance your mates will simply have to ■■■■ themselves .

■■■■ themselves?
It’s no laughing matter…a man has died here.
:smiley:

Vid:

codge123:

Don’t get this one,

The crux of the case is that Gary Sharrock had to set up his own company, while the work he did driving across the north of England was the same as those employed on a Pay As You Earn (PAYE) basis.

Unite Legal Services said that Mr Sharrock did not want to work on these terms, ‘but was not offered, or advised he could undertake, work on any other basis’. The union claims that ADR and PPF do ‘engage employers on a PAYE basis’, but that he ‘was not afforded that option’.

Set up as a ltd co as he didn’t want to work PAYE, but complains that he wasn’t offered the option :confused:

He requested holiday to be taken in July this year and this was refused. He argues that he is entitled to be paid for statutory annual leave since he started work in September 2016

Isn’t that one of the reasons for working agency? You want time off, you say 'I’m not available from X to Y" and that’s the end of it.

Being on agency isn’t necessarily the same as being a casual, nor is it the same as running your own business.

I’ve done agency work where you can book holidays, but only at the employers permission - and they’d dismiss you if you just didn’t turn in. In practice, it was a full-time position in the normal way, just without employment rights or security.

Most people are on agencies because the employer won’t engage them directly (whether on terms at least as good, or at all).

The number of guys on agency who genuinely hackney themselves to a different employer every day of the week, or would even want to, or who work a completely irregular pattern of days at their own choosing (not at the direction of the agency), must be a very small number indeed.

Best union I ever joined was the URTU (google it). They looked after me good style. Took on a big company on my behalf and won, and that was when I was working as an agency driver. Can’t say enough in their favour. 100% for truck drivers.

Vid:

That’s how it works with me. I say when I am and am not working, nobody else.

Of course there is a role for unions, just a shame so few are interested.

It’s no coincidence that the increasing demise of heavily unionised workforce’s is happening at the same time as the race to the bottom for working conditions everywhere.

The two best companies I have worked for for working conditions - Tesco & Muller - both heavily unionised.

Unions haven’t always covered themselves in glory but we are better off with them.