Caustic Soda (Sodium Hydroxide)

dieseldave:

Winseer:

dieseldave:
Winseer,

I don’t doubt the accuracy and logic of the info in your post, but it raises a question for me, a non-chemist.

Winseer:
… a 25kg plastic container that then gets about a cupful of water splashed into it - will probably melt its way out of that plastic container because of the exothermic reaction with water that then happens.

It’s an honest question… would there be enough heat produced to cause the outcome you described?

:bulb: I can tell people the legalities they need to know about the ADR carriage requirements for ‘stuff’ but I’ve no idea of the reasoning or science behind it all. :smiley:

The ADR warning signs for Caustic Soda - seemed to have ommitted the fact that this stuff heats up to around 400 Celcius when you add water to the dry flakes/granules. If they are in a sealed plastic container - then that dryness is assured, up until the container gets compromised by a knock, bump, spear-through by shifting other load etc. The adding of water to flakes rather than flakes to water concentrates the heat enough that 400 Celsius is enough to melt it’s way out of the plastic container. :neutral_face:

If the flakes are merely exposed to the air - then they gradually get wet, which allows the heat to disperse gradually, and then the danger is merely concentrated damp-wet caustic soda solution which will attack Aluminium, Flesh, and Glass in particular. It is this latter danger that is elaborated on in the ADR warnings - NOT the exothermic reaction with the sudden addition of water to which I advise and warn here.

I am aiming to advise fellow drivers of the unspoken danger then, of this very dangerous situation involving boiling concentrated sodium hydroxide solution flying about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZb_wPJivpo

This is the less-dangerous adding a small amount of granules to a larger amount of water. You don’t need a thermometer in there to see that this water, that has started at near 100 degrees for (for effect) easily heats up way beyond that instantly on the addition of granules.

The vid uses hot water to accelerate the rate of this reaction even further then… An eye-opener indeed - especially if this is the last thing you can expect to see if a container gotten wet boils up in your face! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Winseer,

That’s very impressive. :open_mouth:

Thanks for the explanation. :smiley:

There is no such company as EB GB Zorlidge. It’s a JOKE. Do you take yourself so seriously that you are now bereft of a sense of humour. I notice that when you send me a private message there is no room for appeal, do I take it that you have now been promoted to GOD ?