Driver fined for running out of fuel

simcor:

AndrewG:
It could be vendetta runs a truck on CNG (biomethane), these dont exactly have a huge range and although im not in the UK would imagine that refuelling points are not exactly readily available…

I am aware that they use gas trucks and aware that fuelling stations that provide gas are fewer and far between. That is the reason we haven’t got any gas trucks that other depots have got who have places to fuel near them. But that still doesn’t mean just run it and hope their is enough gas does it?

I would find put where I could fill it up, and if I thought it was running low regardless of what the gauge says stick some more gas in. That’s my point. A company that also allows drivers to run low on fuel also needs a kick up the back side. Especially how costly running out of gas could be.

I agree, in any other case theres no reason to run out/low on fuel but… with CNG no one would use these on general haulage,most operators of these type of truck are supermarkets with a specified outward/return route and these operators most likely dont even provide a fuel card for refuelling as CNG isnt widely used and will have their own in house/bunker fuelling point. In most cases the gas tanks will be as large as the chassis will allow and range worked out to various drop points with enough gas for the return leg.