Running outta fuel

Im just sat with a few drivers and the conversation went to running out of diesel to which one bloke said “if you run out on the motorway it’s three points” another driver confirmed his statement :open_mouth:

Surely that’s a load of MMTM crap !!

Any heard of anyone being done for this ?

Nah I didn’t think so :grimacing:

Don’t know don’t care professional drivers shouldn’t run out! Keep it at a sensible level not draining the arse before u top up! Run out on a motorway in Europe and see the bills you get!

I thought I’d heard it was an offence to use a motorway with insufficient fuel, although I’d never actually given it more consideration about penalties.

I ran out of fuel once on the M25, well I actually had 180 litres in the right tank but they weren’t balancing properly and the left one was emptying quicker than the right one was replenishing it. I was heading for the Shell at St.Albans and never quite made it. :unamused: I thought the gauge was iffy as I knew there was still a fai amount in the tanks (tank)

i ran out on the m5 a couple of years ago when i was doing recovery work. the fuel gauge would work ok most of the time untill it would stop at about halfway.

out of fuel 20 miles from where i was gonna get some to get me home, rang office and they sent the roadside repair guy up with a couple of gallons.

while i was waiting i had a kip on the back seat only to be woken by a womble half an hour later.

they didn’t say anything about penalty points so i think you’ve been given a load of guff.

I’ve done it :blush: on the slip for j41 M1(only a couple of miles from morrisons bunker). I don’t know the penalty (I think it’s £30 fp) but the bill was the thick end of £300 :open_mouth: . Fortunately I’ve got an understanding boss, he won’t take down the picture of a petrol pump that’s next to my name on the driver board in the office though.

It is an offence to run out of fuel on a motorway…in Germany.

i’m sure it’s an offence to proceed onto a motorway knowingly that you dont have enough fuel or something along those lines. All though on traffic cops the other week they didn’t fine one guy who did it…

Big fines in the Frejus or Blanc tunnels if run out in there.Tow truck is thousands of euros.

How would anyone know if you had run out of fuel, unless you told them.

Whats up drive? “Dunno it just stopped working.” I think it is out of diesel :unamused:

or

Whats up driver, “I dont know, I called the office and they are sending out the service van”

It is an offence though to run out of fuel on an Autoroute in France.

Is it a law that motorway service stations have to open all year round,over xmas too,the girl at the counter said they have to stay open.