A bit of bad weather and .

. . ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsp … g_0124.jpg
oops :stuck_out_tongue:

My Norwegian neighbour finds it hilarious the way we Brits cope(or not)with a bit of frost or wind above 2 on the beaufort scale.He especially likes the way we dramatise it even more nowadays by giving the “storms” a name.

It really does craic me up, when the meteorrl ,meetrolgy … weather people issue weather warnings.
How did we cope in the “olden days” ? :slight_smile:

Sometimes it’s always wise to watch the weather:

Carol Kirkwood.jpg

Quinny:
Sometimes it’s always wise to watch the weather:

Aww frecin yesshh.

Gidders:
My Norwegian neighbour finds it hilarious the way we Brits cope(or not)with a bit of frost or wind above 2 on the beaufort scale.He especially likes the way we dramatise it even more nowadays by giving the “storms” a name.

The issue is in this country, we don’t get enough of consistent bad weather to justify the council costs in fighting it. I’ve read newspaper reports about councils buying in tons of salt for winter gritting in the middle of summer (when it’s cheaper) and people thinking it’s a waste of money. They’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t (have enough when it’s needed).

Nice rack

Norwegians have to do some sort of skid pan training to pass their driving test, so of course a country that only sees rain will freak out when it snows. Interestingly, Oslo pretty much grinds to a halt when it rains heavily, so we can take the ■■■■ out of them for that at least.

Suedehead:
It really does craic me up, when the meteorrl ,meetrolgy … weather people issue weather warnings.
How did we cope in the “olden days” ? :slight_smile:

Simples, use a bunch of seaweed hung up …

If it’s wet, it’s raining.

If it’s dry it’s sunny.

If it’s moving it’s windy

If it’s still it’s not windy

And if you cant see it then it’s foggy

Hope this helps …

Suedehead:
. . ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsp … g_0124.jpg
oops :stuck_out_tongue:

Meanwhile …in the alpine passes…

The old “they cope with it in wherever” is a load of complete ■■■■■■■■. I’m in Canada and it snows half the year and they’re always crashing into each other or putting it in the ditch.

This winter there have been two 48hr closures of the main trunk road from Winnipeg to Regina (about 550kms) and all the alternative back roads have been closed too, Montreal was basically closed for 24hrs last week and there have been multiple other road closures too, anywhere from the Atlantic Coast to the Pacific Coast, it’s been a gong show at some point.

They don’t cope, they realise that they cannot beat mother nature when she’s throwing a tantrum and they stay at home. The rest of the time they crash, but there are less vehicles on the road and a lot more road to do it on, so it doesn’t have such an impact.

As people all over northern Europe and the Baltic states manage to get to work and keep the transport infrastructure moving during winter with little issue id say its a UK thing. Leaves on the line, 2cm of snow, 80kph winds ect always seem to have a major impact and grind everything to a halt. Other parts of the world have much worse winters than the UK and no doubt many roads are closed but…its all relative, for someone living in the UK saying others cant cope either is a load of old bollox…

You cannot compare the sloppy wet snow that falls in Britain to the snow that falls in the Alps, Baltic States or anywhere else in Europe and beyond.

On a recent visit back to England it snowed and if I had driven the way I do on Canadian snow I would’ve had a big crash.

A crash on a road that carries a few vehicles on Canadian or Norwegian roads ain’t gonna make too much news, as NMM says. (Apart from to the poor individuals involved) A crash on the overcrowded roads of S.E. England will have a big effect, hence it makes the news. It’s not we’re all much less prepared necessarily, it’s because of the knock on effects of weather or whatever.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

YELLOW SNOW WARNING…
simples… don’t eat it.

This was my driver’s view for 48hrs last week.

This is a map of Western Manitoba, red denotes the road is closed, Eastern Manitoba was exactly the same, there was only a 20km stretch of the main Trans-Canada highway open through Manitoba and it’s over 500kms long.

Not exactly coping with it is it!

Here in Sweden i think we have same as i canada. But i like the winter and the snow with the icee Roads :sunglasses: on this trip it snowed for 12hours then 9of and alot better weather the day after but only for a couple of hours…

Danne

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG

I don’t mind the snow Danne, as long as it’s cold enough to keep it dusty and the wind isn’t blowing it about too much, as you know, it’s no big deal to drive on cold dusty snow, as long as you can see where you’re going of course.

It’s when it’s a few degrees below freezing that it gets difficult, then it’s evil slippery stuff and turns to packed ice as vehicles drive over it and if it’s windy it gets polished to a shine. When it’s like that it’s a hard day in the office, you feel a sense of relief when you park at night and can finally let go of the steering wheel.

Nice pics dirty dan …looks lime the roads we had to cope with on the middle east routes…snow chains on…snow chains off, every few miles…the eastern bloc countries were the worst as they never invested in snow clearance vehicles, and sand /grit/salt, was not there or used. turkey faired better, but had rubber blades and only skimmed the top, very little grit/salt either…but most accidents were caused by driving too fast, believing that Allah is their god, and will keep them from harm…especially if you had an eye watching you…ha ha

Lloydie:
Nice rack

Warm front.