Snow/Ice watch thread?

As this weather is BAD and we aren’t used to it does anyone think we should have a dedicated thread in the top of the board index dedicated to drivers comments on major trunk routes/roads :question:

Thank You :smiley:

for the one-two months of the year we get/expect snow? would it not be better, to get better at driving in something weve had to put up with for years, or do we all still think that we really deserve a southern european climate all year round?

mjbaron:
for the one-two months of the year we get/expect snow? would it not be better, to get better at driving in something weve had to put up with for years, or do we all still think that we really deserve a southern european climate all year round?

Agree with this comment.

Have just come down the M50/A449 to Newport…the outside lane had a good few inches of FRESH snow but no-one was using it, I understand the artics what be a bit wary due to risk of jack-knifing.
I pulled into the outside and did a steady 30mph all the way through, looking behind me could just see that it was clearing the snow a bit. When it was a bit too deep or someone decided they would pull across and straddle the 2 lanes, I still sat on snow, it feels alot safer than driving on the icy
tarmac.
The said vehicles that were straddling 2 lanes were artics, why? If you want to play EXTRA cautious fine, but dont try to police the road!!

And before someone says something derogatory or sarcastic…I ain’t bothered about your “witty” comments.

Weighted rigid = lane 3 of motorway on snow clearance duties - got directed by police to do just that many times :smiley:

Clarky:

mjbaron:

Agree with this comment.

Have just come down the M50/A449 to Newport…the outside lane had a good few inches of FRESH snow but no-one was using it, I understand the artics what be a bit wary due to risk of jack-knifing.
I pulled into the outside and did a steady 30mph all the way through, looking behind me could just see that it was clearing the snow a bit. When it was a bit too deep or someone decided they would pull across and straddle the 2 lanes, I still sat on snow, it feels alot safer than driving on the icy
tarmac.
The said vehicles that were straddling 2 lanes were artics, why? If you want to play EXTRA cautious fine, but dont try to police the road!!

And before someone says something derogatory or sarcastic…I ain’t bothered about your “witty” comments.

Totally agree, imo if more people drove on the fresh snow on d/c ways m/ways instead of playing follow the leader it would help keep the roads a little clearer and help the salt to do its job.
As long as you drive at a steady pace, i cant see what the problem is - mind you,i once got fined in France a few years back for overtaking a snowplough :blush:

wasnt there a court case a few years ago where a driver was straddling lanes and got done for it?

Mad dan:
As this weather is BAD and we aren’t used to it does anyone think we should have a dedicated thread in the top of the board index dedicated to drivers comments on major trunk routes/roads :question:

If you’d driven in the 1980’s you’d be used to it and a lot worse.The problem has always been the spec of the trucks not the weather.Use 6x4 units with diff and cross locks and snow chains if it gets up past the doors and you probably would’nt even notice it.

Carryfast:

Mad dan:

If you’d driven in the 1980’s you’d be used to it and a lot worse.The problem has always been the spec of the trucks not the weather.Use 6x4 units with diff and cross locks and snow chains if it gets up past the doors and you probably would’nt even notice it.

in the 80’s it would have just been a normal day for everyone and probably have about 8 ft of snow to contend with

Mad dan:

mayby your not used to it., but i live in scotland it snows like this every year.if folk learnt to drive in it then everything would be fine

thats the problem gogzy, they arent used to it, BUT, for those of us that are used to it, or have for years had no choice, but to drive the networks, dealing with it and learning as we go, it really stings when we get tarred with the same brush as the muppets who havent a clue, they aint called the alps and the white motorway for nowt!!! i would love top see some of these clowns try and fit a set of chains whenb they arent in the bone dry yard, or navigate the passes, or even cope coming out of the blanc from reasonable italy to find the winter sports section to the first peage in france, a dusting as one of the guys mentioned earlier and it all goes to pot. there is too much of this panick stricken, aint doin that attitude around. some of us wish for the heyday of transport, when the brits ruled the european motorways, when we had something to be proud of, or to the 70’s and 80’s when you could grab a middle east job and have a real trip under your belt to make you proud. me? i long for the times when we had a get on with it and graft attitude. when we didnt clock off bang on quitting time, when we dug in and helped another driver who was up ssh1t creek, regardless of wether it would gain favour from the office, or if you would be late. how many times nowadays do you go past a car, truck or bus broken down at the side of the road and think, rather you than me mate, or damm, i wish i could stop and lend a hand, but if i do, the phone will be ringin as theyll see ive stopped…and god forbid im late, cos that goods in clerks a real bugger at asda

mjbaron:
thats the problem gogzy, they arent used to it, BUT, for those of us that are used to it, or have for years had no choice, but to drive the networks, dealing with it and learning as we go, it really stings when we get tarred with the same brush as the muppets who havent a clue, they aint called the alps and the white motorway for nowt!!! i would love top see some of these clowns try and fit a set of chains whenb they arent in the bone dry yard, or navigate the passes, or even cope coming out of the blanc from reasonable italy to find the winter sports section to the first peage in france, a dusting as one of the guys mentioned earlier and it all goes to pot. there is too much of this panick stricken, aint doin that attitude around. some of us wish for the heyday of transport, when the brits ruled the european motorways, when we had something to be proud of, or to the 70’s and 80’s when you could grab a middle east job and have a real trip under your belt to make you proud. me? i long for the times when we had a get on with it and graft attitude. when we didnt clock off bang on quitting time, when we dug in and helped another driver who was up ssh1t creek, regardless of wether it would gain favour from the office, or if you would be late. how many times nowadays do you go past a car, truck or bus broken down at the side of the road and think, rather you than me mate, or damm, i wish i could stop and lend a hand, but if i do, the phone will be ringin as theyll see ive stopped…and god forbid im late, cos that goods in clerks a real bugger at asda

That argument is true up to a point but a lot of the problem today is often blocked roads caused by modern cars with modern tyres which are supposed to be changed for winter tread pattern ones as in Germany and in which front wheel drive loses traction more easily than the old rear wheel drive and when it does all steering ability goes with it and the thing just understeers off the road.But 4x2 and 6x2 tractor units have always been a problem and I saw enough of them during the much worse winters which we had in the 1980’s in the ditches because they lose traction and jacknife too easily.Also I was there in the 1980’s and no one ‘could just grab a middle east job’ or even European work.I should know because I was turned down enough times to have to spend my career on uk work.As for stopping to lend a hand.If you’re on night trunking and you make an unauthorised stop for what looks like someone with a breakdown and it turned out to be a hi jack you’d have a lot more to worry about than what a clerk says.Anyway give me a 6x4 rigid and drawbar or an artic using a 6x4 unit and I’d probably do the alps without even bothering with the chains unless it’s really bad which would mean worse than it was here in the Winter of 1981/1982.