M20 bridge collapse

Driver in court

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-39003246

Turns out despite every one blaming the bridge height he had already hit another bridge on that day with that machine more detailed report on Kent online

chester1:
Turns out despite every one blaming the bridge height he had already hit another bridge on that day with that machine more detailed report on Kent online

kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/n … rt-120695/

You’d have thought a man of his age would have been an experienced driver, and not prone to errors of judgement like this.
Perhaps we need some sort of competency training within the industry… :wink:

itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2017- … ay-bridge/

Looks like they’re gonna hang this guy out to dry, he’ll be dead lucky or have a top brief to avoid spending some time at Her Majesty’s pleasure

By his appearance, I bet nobody wants to share a truck with him.

And so he should do some time for it, and never be allowed to hold an HGV licence again. He could have wiped out a family doing this. Lucky it was only one guy with broken ribs.

bigdave789:
Looks like they’re gonna hang this guy out to dry, he’ll be dead lucky or have a top brief to avoid spending some time at Her Majesty’s pleasure

Perhaps they should if He didn’t learn from the earlier bridge strike . It was only luck that no one was killed using the bridge . If he had hit the next footbridge just after junction 4 it will have been a different matter that one links two parks

chester1:

bigdave789:

Perhaps they should if He didn’t learn from the earlier bridge strike . It was only luck that no one was killed using the bridge . If he had hit the next footbridge just after junction 4 it will have been a different matter that one links two parks

And how lucky was the fridge driver ffs.

bald bloke:

chester1:

bigdave789:

And how lucky was the fridge driver ffs.

very lucky, from a fridge to a bulker at no cost :laughing:

The woman who filmed the video clip that’s in the Kent Online report was she a passenger in a left hand drive car or a driver using a mobile phone whilst moving. ■■

Can someone explain to me wtf happened here, Ive read the articles linked but I don’t understand how a box trailor can hit a bridge on a motorway, aren’t they all 5M + in height, or is this one lower?

Evil8Beezle:
You’d have thought a man of his age would have been an experienced driver, and not prone to errors of judgement like this.
Perhaps we need some sort of competency training within the industry… :wink:

To be fair we haven’t actually got the actual load height v actual bridge height/s figures in question and it seems a bit questionable,as to why the defence request for independent expert verification of the latter seems to have been turned down.

While assuming the worse how difficult can it be to know when a load is too high to even get under motorway bridges with a decent safety margin. :open_mouth: No amount of DCPC training will compensate for no common sense whatsoever. :bulb:

raymundo:
The woman who filmed the video clip that’s in the Kent Online report was she a passenger in a left hand drive car or a driver using a mobile phone whilst moving. ■■

Or (as appears to be the case) a rear seat passenger? You can clearly see that the camera is being used through the (open) rear window, with the (closed) driver’s window also shown in the video…

tommymanc:
Can someone explain to me wtf happened here, Ive read the articles linked but I don’t understand how a box trailor can hit a bridge on a motorway, aren’t they all 5M + in height, or is this one lower?

The bridge was struck by an excavator being carried on the defendant’s trailer. By the time the box trailer hit it, it was no longer 5m above the carriageway…

Oh so he wasn’t driving the box in the photos, but hit the bridge and just carried on. Later the bridge fell onto this box?

And still they carried on driving under a fair weight of unsupported concrete? What if the weight of it pulling down had caused the rest of it to fall? :open_mouth:

Muckaway:
By his appearance, I bet nobody wants to share a truck with him.

not really relevant, but someone had to do it I suppose!

tommymanc:
Oh so he wasn’t driving the box in the photos, but hit the bridge and just carried on. Later the bridge fell onto this box?

No, he was apparently driving along the hard shoulder, and hit the bridge just as the box trailer was passing. The force of the impact knocked the bridge off its supports bringing it down on top of the box trailer and just in front of a motorbike.