Driving a unit only on rigid licence

Help me out here guys… Can a tractor unit (obviously with no trailer coupled) be driven on a rigid licence if it’s being picked up from a workshop back to the operating centre?
This argument has reared its head a few times now, I have searched everywhere on the Internet and cannot find a definitive answer
You’re help is appreciated

Northnorthwest:
Help me out here guys… Can a tractor unit (obviously with no trailer coupled) be driven on a rigid licence if it’s being picked up from a workshop back to the operating centre?
This argument has reared its head a few times now, I have searched everywhere on the Internet and cannot find a definitive answer
You’re help is appreciated

yes
its a solo unit or if you look at it another way its a ridged without a trailer comes under a cat C and no the 5th wheel does not need to be locked off otherwise a Wag and Drag would have to have its coupling locked off .

viewtopic.php?t=16353#p163143

Unless it’s changed from 25 years ago yes you can drive a unit on a class 2. Would you believe you were able to drive a unit on a car licence if it didn’t have a 5th wheel fitted because it was under 7.5 tonne! Hope you get sorted.

Similarly can I drive a car as I have never taken a car test only HGV 3, HGV 1, PSV and motorbike :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yes as long as the fifth wheel is covered up.

gaeygray10:

WHY?

11hrs earlier

nick2008:
its a solo unit or if you look at it another way its a ridged without a trailer comes under a cat C and no the 5th wheel does not need to be locked off otherwise a Wag and Drag would have to have its coupling locked off .

viewtopic.php?t=16353#p163143

gaeygray10:

lankyphil:
WHY?

Yeah why? And how the zb do you cover up the fifth wheel anyway…■■?

gaeygray10:

RDC Bull ■■■■■ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

This one has been done to death on here many times before.Would you believe my DCPC bod got it wrong.?As it doesnt come apart or bend there is no need for an E on your license.

so if you take a car test, since 1997, and you drive a car with a tow hitch■■?

It is a rigid!

It does not bend.

SWEDISH BLUE:
so if you take a car test, since 1997, and you drive a car with a tow hitch■■?

It is a rigid!

It does not bend.

True… and you don’t have to cover the towing hitch :smiley:

Pimpdaddy:
And how the zb do you cover up the fifth wheel anyway…■■?

You’d use a fifth wheel cover, such as can be seen on some show-trucks.

…but that’s quite a separate issue and nothing to the point. :smiley:

0 out of 10…

Class C…over 7.5t with a trailer up to 750kg

how about this just to stir things up
driving an unloaded artic weighing under 17.5 tonne in a 17.5 tonne weight limit
you would be prosecuted because the gross weight for the artic is 44 tonne even though the actual weight of the truck is under 17.5 tonne

Yes you can drîve a rigid on a rigid licence

hitch:
Yes you can drîve a rigid on a rigid licence

Try telling that to most office staff. It throws them completely.

The amount of times I have witnessed firms faff about trying to find a Class 1 driver to take/collect a unit from the workshop, when one of the Class 2 drivers could have done it.

+E is for the trailer, not the 5th wheel/towbar.

rangechange59:
driving an unloaded artic weighing under 17.5 tonne in a 17.5 tonne weight limit
you would be prosecuted because the gross weight for the artic is 44 tonne even though the actual weight of the truck is under 17.5 tonne

Yes you would be done, those limits are for total gross weight. It doesn’t matter if you weigh 1 ton or 44 actual, they will still book you for it.

rangechange59:

That’s assuming that the weight restriction is legal. I got stopped driving a 44 tonner on a 7.5 tonne road. When I contacted the council they discovered that they hadn’t gone through all the procedures and that it was unenforceable.

If in doubt ask questions.

alamcculloch:
This one has been done to death on here many times before.Would you believe my DCPC bod got it wrong.?As it doesnt come apart or bend there is no need for an E on your license.

A bendibus bends but only requires a class D licence.