Tractor Unit driving for a class 2 driver

Just a quick question to you all who are better in the know than me.
Can a driver who has a class 2 rigid licence drive just the tractor unit of an articulated lorry?
I was always under the impression that you couldn’t cos the tractor unit was CAPABLE of pulling a trailer?
Any results would be appreciated.

Yes, a class C licence holder can drive a solo tractor unit.

mrpj:

With or without the fifth wheel? Somewhere in the deep recesses of my aging memory I think it matters :confused:

CM:

mrpj:

With or without the fifth wheel? Somewhere in the deep recesses of my aging memory I think it matters :confused:

I believe there used to be a requirement to remove the fifth wheel but not anymore.

The fifth wheel removal thing is different thing entirely. That is to do with someone with an ordinary licence driving a tractor unit, as long as the unit doesn’t exceed 7.5 tonnes and they passed their test before the 3.5 t limit etc. The removal of the fifth wheel makes an incomplete motor vehicle and they can drive it, not sure of the ins and outs of it but that is the gist.

The holder of a C licence can drive rigid goods vehicles and what is a tractor unit with out a trailer - a rigid goods vehicle. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: Nothing needs to be removed or altered, well apart from removing the trailer. :smiley: :smiley:

As far as im aware its as Coffeeholic said. A tractor unit can be driven on a C licence and on a car licence if the fifth wheel is removed as its classed as an incomplete vehicle, (depending on when you passed your car test of course) pre 1997 and your ok, post 1997 you must have taken a C1 test.

This is coming up on a regular basis. Does anyone want to write a definitive statement and put it in the FAQ forum?

I think it used to be the case that a Class 2 driver couldnt drive a Unit which still had the fith wheel fitted, however there was then a change in the law that allowed it as it’s just like driving a Rigid with a towbracket and no trailer.

Before i passed my cat C i couldn’t drive a 3.5t van with a trailer on (it would be over the 3.5t limit, for post 97 licences), but i could drive a van with a towbar fitted.

A ‘C’ licence entitles the holder to drive any rigid chassis goods vehicle with no more than 8 passenger seats and towing a trailer not more than 750kg in weight.

craiglong01:
Can a driver who has a class 2 rigid licence drive just the tractor unit of an articulated lorry?

As long as all those extra gears are not too much of a handful and you dont scare the clutch plate too much it shouldn’t be a problem …
:laughing: :wink:

what extra gears?

we’ve got a rigid with 16 :wink:

mrpj:

and he can pull a Trailer till 750kg

fred Kanka:

mrpj:

and he can pull a Trailer till 750kg

indeed you can, but it wouldnt be a very big trailer and would be so small the fith wheel couldnt be used. :laughing:

a 500Bhp, 16 speed actros super space cab might be overkill for pulling a camping trailer.

While on the trailer subject what licence do you need to pull a trailer over 750kg on a normal car license ?

Redline Racing:
While on the trailer subject what licence do you need to pull a trailer over 750kg on a normal car license ?

you need the +E (+trailer)category added to whatever category you are driving for any trailer. i.e. B+E.

bit off topic, but if u had a class 1 (C+E) does that mean u can pull a trailer over 750kg on a car or do u still need the B+E?

i would have thought you would automaticly get B + E with it. i dont know though. i passed my test before the new rules so i got all the extra categories with my car licence

Scanny 77’s right. When you pass C+E you automatically get B+E added to your licence.

As a sidenote, if you already have D - buses - you get D+E automatically in the same way, although the same is not true in reverse (thankfully! :open_mouth: ).

Lucy:
As a sidenote, if you already have D - buses - you get D+E automatically in the same way, although the same is not true in reverse (thankfully! :open_mouth: ).

so if you’ve got C+E and you pass D do you automagically get D+E :question:

As far as I know, yes…

Yes. Correct