Gassing Drivers (again)

I know this has been done before but I see in today’s paper a story about caravanners being gassed and robbed on French Motorways:

British families visiting the Continent are being warned to fit gas detectors to their caravans after a new spate of attacks by gangs piping sleeping gas into their motorhomes.

Hayley Kearns, 28, was heading to the Mediterranean with her parents, her brother and his girlfriend when they were attacked at an overnight rest stop on a motorway.

Miss Kearns, brother Byron, 20, and his girlfriend Nic James, 31, awoke groggily in their trailer tent to find the window ripped open and valuables gone.

They said raiders took £2,000 in cash, their mobile phones, iPads, a Kindle and bank cards.The robbers had also taken their keys and ransacked their car while they slept, littering the service station with their possessions.

Miss Kearns said French police told her East European gangs were preying on holidaymakers.

At the end of the article The Royal College of Anaesthetists said in a statement that they considered it a myth.:

"It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious by blowing ether, chloroform or any of the currently used volatile anaesthetic agents, through the window of a motor-home without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect on the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a cloth, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray administered directly into a room would be enormous.

Another reason not to go to France.

And I thought it was just my arse that made my cab dangerous with gas… :unamused:

insurance job?

Experts at being quiet.■■?
Ive been robbed 5 times now.

I’m firmly agnostic with regards to cab gassing. If it ever happens to me I’ll believe it. :smiley:

Lorry drivers say that there is such a thing as knockout gas.

Physicists, chemists and anaesthetists say that there isn’t.

Sheesh, it’s a tough call! :stuck_out_tongue:

“It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious by blowing ether, chloroform or any of the currently used volatile anaesthetic agents…”

But there are other non-volatile anaesthetic agents which would do the job

Euro:
“It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious by blowing ether, chloroform or any of the currently used volatile anaesthetic agents…”

Like what?

Euro:

Such as ?

The silence is deafening. :wink:

pardon

Summary of gassing;Vanesa Feltz talking.
Enough hot air to fill an air balloon.Carry on as you were.

I thought that it would be unwise to specify the materials to which I was referring. There are some nasty people around and I have no wish to help them. There seem to be persistent reports of these incidents and eventually there is likely to be a death or permanent brain injury.

Harry Monk:

Euro:

Like what?

Euro:
I thought that it would be unwise to specify the materials to which I was referring. There are some nasty people around and I have no wish to help them.

Good dodge.

Agnostic on this one, the ‘experts’ say its a myth, however this keeps cropping up and it wouldn’t be the first time ‘experts’ have been proved wrong, reckon its one for mythbusters. I can’t see how you’d gas someone in a trailer tent though, more likely spiked food or drink.

Euro:
I thought that it would be unwise to specify the materials to which I was referring. There are some nasty people around and I have no wish to help them. There seem to be persistent reports of these incidents and eventually there is likely to be a death or permanent brain injury.

Harry Monk:
That’s 50% of British truckers afflicted already then :slight_smile:

Well, I’m no expert on such things…

But if I was given the option of believing a a family/driver trying to claim off insurance and not lose face, or the Royal College of Anaesthetists, I know which I’d pick…

Plenty of people sleep through house break ins and the like. It’s not that easy to admit you’ve been turned over and are just a little bit gullible for parking there in the first place.

chicane:
more likely spiked food or drink.

That’s what my money’s on.

Anybody got an opinion on the spate of gassings which occurred primarily in Belgium in the 90s.Drivers were knocked out while asleepwith cs gas blown up n/heater exhausts, door locks were drilled out,money and cards were stolen and drivers wallets were left on drivers footstep.All kinds of rumours circulated as to why they were never caught the main one from the police being,the gangs were highly organized,posted look outs with mobile phones who rang ahead of police,thus giving gangs time to escape.I hasten to add it never happened me.
regards dave.