Campervan couple "gassed"

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … rance.html

This old chestnut has reared its head in the Fail. It’s been a bone of contention on here before and I know there is a chap on here who stated he was gassed on his ship a while back. It seems now though even the French police are convinced by it.

My money is still with the anaesthetist who said it couldn’t be done…

I’ve read the story and if I was traveling through France in a campervan with her indoors I’d find a nice little campsite somewhere as they’re cheap as chips and plenty of them, trouble is it’s all too convenient to pull in to the services and pull your curtains.

The firm I work for have a cpl of drivers who say they have been done and knowing them I don’t disbelieve them I’ve even woken one of them up in the nite when I’ve got out of my truck for a ■■■■■ coughing and ■■■■■■■. You never hear of anyone bieng turned over waking up with the tea leaves actually in the cab .

A statement from The Royal College of Anaesthetists about Motorhome owners being gassed then robbed.

Despite the increasing numbers of reports of people being gassed in motor-homes or commercial trucks in France, and the warning put out by the Foreign Office for travellers to be aware of this danger, this College remains of the view that this is a myth. It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious by blowing ether, chloroform or any of the currently used volatile anaesthetic agents, through the window of a motor-home without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect on the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a cloth, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray administered directly into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the next day. Even the more powerful modern volatile agents would need to be delivered in tankerloads of carrier gas or by a large compressor. Potential agents, such as the one used by the Russians in the Moscow siege are few in number and difficult to obtain. Moreover, these drugs would be too expensive for the average thief to use. The other important point to remember is that general anaesthetics are potentially very dangerous, which is why they are only administered in the UK by doctors who have undergone many years of postgraduate training in the subject and who remain with the unconscious patient throughout the anaesthetic. Unsupervised patients are likely to die from obstruction of the airway by their tongues falling back. In the Moscow seige approximately 20% of the people died, many probably from airway obstruction directly related to the agent used. If there was a totally safe, odourless, potent, cheap anaesthetic agent available to thieves for this purpose it is likely the medical profession would know about it and be investigating its use in anaesthetic practice.

there is of course the easy way… pump carbon dioxide in till they’re unconscious. once the door was opened give it a few seconds then fill yer boots, cos they’ll be out for hours.

slight issue is leave them exposed for too long and they’ll be brown bread…

People who die in house fires at night are often said to have been killed in their sleep by smoke inhalation.

The smoke from the average house fire is very pungent…burning carpets etc. Surely this rather undermines the anaesthetists’ argument?

I think that the anaesthetists argument was that others would smell the gas.

I think every van should have a carbon monoxide detector anyway, and that was for health reasons so buy one now before they go up in price with their dual purpose of stopping you dying and letting you know your being robbed :laughing: :laughing:

I’m still leaning towards the anaesthetist’s argument. They write off ether as an agent due to volume needed and smell, what else is there??

bazza123:
I’m still leaning towards the anaesthetist’s argument. They write off ether as an agent due to volume needed and smell, what else is there??

Insurance claim :wink: :wink:

Drift:

bazza123:

You may have a point there, if even the foreign office now believe this tripe. :confused:

bazza123:

Drift:

bazza123:

You may have a point there, if even the foreign office now believe this tripe. :confused:

I usually see the good in people but just sometimes the cynicism oozes out :laughing: :laughing: