Not sure where to post a question

Hi. I’ve just bought a 12 metre boxed trailer unit and am on the hunt for a tractor unit. In the mean time I need the trailer moving from it’s current location in Somerset to my address in France. Is there such a thing as an ‘owner driver’, if so can anyone point me in the right direction of where to look?

I hope it’s ok to post this here.

Cheers
Clare

France is quite big. A more precise destination might get some of the owner drivers on here interested. Good luck!

th2013:
France is quite big. A more precise destination might get some of the owner drivers on here interested. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

Niort, which is about an hour east of La Rochelle by car.

Bet Vinny will do it for a £10 and a Mars bar! :slight_smile:

Just asking as it may help get your answer quicker from someone…

1 is the trailer plated etc
2 is it total road legal and able to carry goods ( thinking that someone could utilise the trailer to cut the cost down for moving it.)
3. type of trailer , Dry box, fridge,
4 tail lift .
5 height … that’s gonn be important …

if its empty and your not moving anything in the trailer it could be worth someone using it to take a load out ie a home moving also depending on when you want it there by

I don’t know how hard it is to do it paperwork wise, but you can send trailers over unattended on the ferry. Obviously you need a driver both ends then but it might end up cheaper than paying for someone to sit on the ferry with it. Not done this so don’t know the ferry costs of this option.

(I was going to get the OP to PM limeyphil but couldn’t quite bring myself to set up that much of a wind up… :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: )

If its not road legal ( ie test cert, tyres etc ) then its got to be moved via a low loader, and thats expensive, an owner driver will want paying to bring it down, and run back solo, so thats gonna cost a bit, the cheapest option is for the op to buy a unit, hook up the trailer, and find a load and ship it himself, but the outfit will have to be fir for the road.

Thanks for your replies. The trailer is legal, having recently passed it’s MOT. It will be empty when coming over. I’ll have to get back to you on its exact height but I know it’s legal for European roads. It’s a dry box and not refridgerated.

I’m looking into have it delivered to Poole then coming over unacommpanied on the ferry, but would like to know the cost of it being brought over. Is this the right place to see if anyone is interested in quoting for this type of work?

Cheers

truckyboy:
If its not road legal ( ie test cert, tyres etc ) then its got to be moved via a low loader, and thats expensive, an owner driver will want paying to bring it down, and run back solo, so thats gonna cost a bit, the cheapest option is for the op to buy a unit, hook up the trailer, and find a load and ship it himself, but the outfit will have to be fir for the road.

you’d be surprised what people will buy and not know the ins and outs till they’ve bought it :wink:

Once again thanks for your imput. Sadly there doesn’t appear to be any interest in taking on this job.

Any suggestions where I can go to find owner/drivers?

Cheers

Have you tried the owner operators forum on here?

No I haven’t, can you point me in the right direction please.

Clare70:
No I haven’t, can you point me in the right direction please.

click on board index, this can be found at the top left hand side of the main page, then click on owner/operators forum which is second forum down

you’d be surprised what people will buy and not know the ins and outs till they’ve bought it :wink:
nick2008

Ha ha ha love it, but bought back a few memories… :laughing: