Bit of info about France please

Not exactlly sure if this is happening yet, but need a bit of info just incase.

We’re possibly looking at buying a ag machine from the Chaumesnil area of France. The plan is to drive down in a discovery and 3 axle Ifor Williams trailer to look at it and bring it back if its ok, (at £20k plus want to see it before we buy). Weightwise the machine is about 2t, and we’ll have a max height of 2.5m when loaded, or could be 1.8m depending on which one is ok. More than likely going to use the ferries to cross.

Questions are
1: what restrictions are there for our combination in France?
2: What sort of Tolls can we expect?
3: Any advice on best route to take?
4: What paperwork will be required to get it back to the UK?
5: Any advice on which ferry company the best to use?

Sorry if they are dumb questions, I only did UK work when driving so not sure. Just wish we could find the right machine in UK, but struggling .

1. As far as I know, the same restrictions as we have in UK for weight etc.

2. Try this link http://www.autoroutes.fr/index.php?id=583.
    Click the purple ‘OK’ button at the bottom of that options page, change the options and start and finish points to suit yourself better first.

3. as above :slight_smile:

4. Not the faintest idea, but try the dvla or customs and excise.
    The very least you’ll need is a proof of purchase I would expect, and not a quickly scribbled receipt. Something YOU couldn’t just knock up yourself. Contact details of the seller would be essential I would think, on proper headed note paper if at all possible. A French official can be extremely officious and suspicious.

5. No idea either, I’ve used the North Sea crossings for the last 5 years.
    P&O used to be the best of a, frankly, poor bunch. At least the staff spoke English.

Cheers Simon.

Not needed now though, he ended up buying one from Italy. Bit too far for us to fetch, so he’s arranged haulage, should get it next week