M26 closed after crash between two lorries and car

The M26 has been closed in both directions following a crash resulting in “multiple casualties”.

A spokesman for the Highways Agency said the crash happened at 09:40 BST and involved a car and two lorries.

“The motorway is closed in both directions between junction three and five,” he said.

London Air Ambulance tweeted that it had been sent to assist with “multiple casualties” on the motorway in Kent.

Traffic is being diverted via the M25 and M20.

The road is expected to be reopened at 16:00 BST.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-27049165

Car drivers fault.

‘Extraordinary scenes in Kent’ like the Queen has cone to visit. Who knows what may have happened but tailgating yet again looks possible. Having watched that video you can see a little Corsa squashed really badly. Doesn’t look good

rob22888:
Car drivers fault.

A leap of faith :unamused:

switchlogic:
Who knows what may have happened but tailgating yet again looks possible. Having watched that video you can see a little Corsa squashed really badly. Doesn’t look good

Does anyone tailgate anymore especially in trucks now they know some of the possible consequences :question:

sevenoakschronicle.co.uk/Mul … story.html
kentonline.co.uk/weald/news/ … ons-15943/

speedyguy:
Does anyone tailgate anymore especially in trucks now they know some of the possible consequences :question:

Yes. One of the most common sights on the road.

Drivers do know the consequences, but heaven forbid they have to adjust the cruise control and slow down a bit :open_mouth:

As a CSI investigator, i think the problem was the helicopter parked on the carriageway. :laughing:

I have often wondered why the highways agency never considered openings in the central reservation, they dont have to be open as such , but something like the barriers thats already there, but on a hinge, where trapped vehicles can at least get out of the situation. My condolences go to all concerned, including the 2 foreign trucks involved :wink:

“Gosh, you wouldn’t want to be caught up in that.” Award winning quote from the news anchor.

And absolutely 100% the car drivers fault. Always is around this time of year and that time in the morning.

truckyboy:
I have often wondered why the highways agency never considered openings in the central reservation, they dont have to be open as such , but something like the barriers thats already there, but on a hinge, where trapped vehicles can at least get out of the situation.

They do :grimacing:

Only just read about the fatalities… :frowning:

Two people killed and others seriously injured yet because it has not been reported that a lorry driver died all we get is stupid comments.
When a lorry driver is killed it is all RIP and condolences.
Some very sad people about.

rob22888:
Car drivers fault.

+1 #CSITNUK

albion1971:
Two people killed and others seriously injured yet because it has not been reported that a lorry driver died all we get is stupid comments.

I think you will find it was late on in the day that we found out 2 people had died not straight away and you will notice after people on here had found out then they changed their posts to a more serious note. It’s a wonder you weren’t on these posts earlier in the day posting your usual “bad driving standards” garb.

Came down the re-opened southbound carriageway on the M26 around 0100hrs but northbound was still closed. One of the trucks was still there, the white van and three other cars were on the back of recovery trucks, quite a mess :frowning:

Was driving eastbound at 3am and saw a red lorry being towed on its own going west, my heart sank and felt bad for all involved. This has to be one of the safest stretches of road in the area , how the hell that happened is beyond me. The effects of the crash were wide spread and our Eastern European friends turned the M20 into a massive truckstop, why they think its ok to overnight on the hard shoulder is beyond me regardless of driver hours, no excuse that’s what pens and printouts are for. Anyway Plod were out in force to ruin their kip. Apparently two people died in the crash RIP

Warm weebottle:
Was driving eastbound at 3am and saw a red lorry being towed on its own going west, my heart sank and felt bad for all involved. This has to be one of the safest stretches of road in the area , how the hell that happened is beyond me. The effects of the crash were wide spread and our Eastern European friends turned the M20 into a massive truckstop, why they think its ok to overnight on the hard shoulder is beyond me regardless of driver hours, no excuse that’s what pens and printouts are for. Anyway Plod were out in force to ruin their kip. Apparently two people died in the crash RIP

It’s one of the un safest around kent in my opinion something like 18 miles between junctions and a fair bit of elephant racing. cars often undertaking because they know they won’t see a police car along that stretch . Then after a long bend you meet the end of the que for the 25 and bang . Which is what I hear locally (and I am local) is what happened nowt to do with the car driver or the van cutting in to early . Rip to those who died and get well soon to those that didn’t

A horrible day for all those affected to whom we all wish to sympathise.

The (local) M26 is however a race track particularly at busy times, with this westbound section beyond Borough Green being downhill, so the lorries are mostly flat out (or more). There are a surprising number of RTCs on this stretch, but they simply don’t get reported so widely.

There seems from the start to have been much discrepancy in the reports regarding the number and type of vehicles involved and the number of casualties, with the fatalities not being announced until the evening.

While it is plainly wrong for the foreign lorries to park on the hard shoulder, one has to wonder exactly where an artic can be parked when an incident occurs in this area? M20 J11 Folkestone services has room for about 16 lorries to park. M20 J8 Maidstone services (a complete joke) has room for about 6, Thurrock can take a large number, but even during the day is about 2/3rds full, Clacket lane probably holds 30 to 40, but is normally at least 1/2 full all day and Cobham is at least an hour’s drive from a full up J8 services even via the M26. There may be room in Ashford truckstop for some of these, but the sheer numbers of lorries coming off the ferries and out of the tunnel would swamp it very quickly. Those who avoid the M20 route are left with the M2 Farthing Corner services (can’t remember the new name) with room for about 40.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

albion1971:

I think you will find it was late on in the day that we found out 2 people had died not straight away and you will notice after people on here had found out then they changed their posts to a more serious note. It’s a wonder you weren’t on these posts earlier in the day posting your usual “bad driving standards” garb.

I really wonder if you can read sometimes.Nearly every time you reply to one of my posts you get it wrong.
Did you not read the link right at the start of the thread? I notice you never replied when I pointed out your stupid mistake on another thread… :unamused:

45 year old truck driver arrested this morning over this. the 2 who died where a 22 year old French woman and A 16 year old French Girl.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27064232

Warm weebottle:
why they think its ok to overnight on the hard shoulder is beyond me regardless of driver hours, no excuse that’s what pens and printouts are for. Anyway Plod were out in force to ruin their kip. Apparently two people died in the crash RIP

1. Because in many countries they can
  2. Because the truck parking situation in this poxy country is a disgrace
  3. Good old police eh? Lets wake up tired drivers and make them move to non existent parking after they ran out of hours because the police decided to shut a super busy road for 20 hours. Something else you don’t see in Europe, fatalities or not they open the road back up in a reasonable timeframe. In the UK it gets more ridiculous every year. Not long now and we’ll be counting length of closures in days at this rate. But that’s ok, as long as the police got to ruin some foreign drivers sleep and cause yet another road hazard we can rest safe in the knowledge that everything was done the British way, which despite being one of the worst ways in Europe still allows us to puff our chests out and think we are the best at everything.

God save the Queen.

Wing and a prayer:
45 year old truck driver arrested this morning over this. the 2 who died where a 22 year old French woman and A 16 year old French Girl.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27064232

kent.police.uk/news/latest_n … n_m26.html