M25 J6-8

Just heard on BBC news that someone has died after a lorry crossed through the central reservation and the M25 will be shut for several hours between junctions 6-8 in both directions…I was due to go gliding tonight in Caterham, but not sure whether to try a different route or get up early and hope its open by 7

Anyone know much else about it?

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-14426424

Harry the Hawk:
Three injured as crash closes M25 - BBC News

M25 Surrey - M25 closed and severe delays in both directions between J7 M23 and J8, A217 (Reigate), because of a shed load, a serious accident involving a lorry and a car and an oil spillage. Diversion in operation - clockwise via the hollow triangle symbol (northbound M23 and A23 to Purley Cross, westbound A2022 to Banstead, southbound A217 to J8). Anticlockwise via the hollow square (A217 into Reigate, then the A25 to Godstone, northbound A22 to J6). Congestion on anticlockwise to J10, A3 (Wisley Interchange)
Updated 21 minutes ago

One thing I did notice from the picture on the link, there’s not a lot of lorries in the shot, yet we get blamed for traffic congestion and everything else that’s bad about the roads today, even the accident that caused the traffic in the first place says Lorry went through the barriers, not ■■■■■■ in car causes lorry to crash through barrier, which is more likely to be what happened :unamused:

It is a bit early to start an investigation, but what puzzles me in these incidents, is that unless it was a medical condition, how does a lorry cross 5 or 6 lanes of traffic without being able to bring it to a halt or steer it into the hard shoulder?

I have seen enough serious accidents or incidents to show it does happen, but if it is something like a tyre bursting it should be possible to bring the vehicle to a halt, at least on your own carriageway. 50 or 60mph is not fast on a 3 or 4 lane road

Go on, go and get some rocks to chuck at me :arrow_right:

I went to Kingswood earlier; glad it was this morning.Also there’s roadworks between A217 Kingswood and M25 so that wouldn’tve helped matters. What’s the HATO excuse for such a long closure?

Muckaway:
What’s the HATO excuse for such a long closure?

And why do you think it’s HATO’s fault that the roads closed, they may be manning the closure, but I doubt they authorised it.
Firstly they’ll be an investigation, a truck crossing the central reservation is serious and fortunately nobody was killed.
Then there’s the recovery of the vehicles, I heard a report that said the truck had overturned. The load might have spilled across the motorway, and it might be something that isn’t to easy to clear up it could even be hazardous.
and then there is repair to the central reservation and possibly the road surface.
All this takes time, I hope that answered you question. :smiley:

Muckaway:
I went to Kingswood earlier; glad it was this morning.Also there’s roadworks between A217 Kingswood and M25 so that wouldn’tve helped matters. What’s the HATO excuse for such a long closure?

Their excuse would probably be that they are knobs

Lorry vs Nissan Micra… The two worst enemies on the road :laughing:
Glad everyones alive though.

Wheel Nut:
It is a bit early to start an investigation, but what puzzles me in these incidents, is that unless it was a medical condition, how does a lorry cross 5 or 6 lanes of traffic without being able to bring it to a halt or steer it into the hard shoulder?

I have seen enough serious accidents or incidents to show it does happen, but if it is something like a tyre bursting it should be possible to bring the vehicle to a halt, at least on your own carriageway. 50 or 60mph is not fast on a 3 or 4 lane road

Go on, go and get some rocks to chuck at me :arrow_right:

I’ll chuck a pebble at u and say, it was 4pm on a Friday cars adjusting there speed tapping there brake lights in lanes 1 and 2 so the lorry moves into lane 3 (of a 4 lane motorway) to keep on the limiter, then the accident happens therefor the lorry would only have to cross 1 lane to be on the opposite carriage way :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: I’m definatly going be a crash investigator when I get fed up of driving :laughing:

midhurstandpetworth.co.uk/ne … _1_2940095

"A Highways Agency spokesman said on Saturday: "We’re still in the process of removing the vehicle, which is in pieces. As well as the diesel damage on the carriageway, there is gouging so we have to resurface. We have a gantry to remove as well.

“We are looking at reopening some lanes but at the moment progress is very slow. I can’t see it opening until about 8am at the earliest.”

Muckaway:

With any fatal accident it is treated the same as a murder scene, hence why it is closed for so long, a full investigation needs to take place. If it was your son daughter or loved one that was killed by a truck that had mysteriously gone through all those lanes wouldn’t you want to know why, or would you be happy with the answer of ‘sorry we don’t know what happened’!!!
It has nothing to do with HATO’s it ultimately is down to the family of the people who have died who quite rightly want and need answers! As a professional I would have thought you could understand this!!!
This is clearly a huge ‘crime scene’ cover both sides of the carriageway… Have some respect!!!

Powell1832:

Muckaway:

With any fatal accident it is treated the same as a murder scene, hence why it is closed for so long, a full investigation needs to take place. If it was your son daughter or loved one that was killed by a truck that had mysteriously gone through all those lanes wouldn’t you want to know why, or would you be happy with the answer of ‘sorry we don’t know what happened’!!!
It has nothing to do with HATO’s it ultimately is down to the family of the people who have died who quite rightly want and need answers! As a professional I would have thought you could understand this!!!
This is clearly a huge ‘crime scene’ cover both sides of the carriageway… Have some respect!!!

Ooh The Drama!

So why is the motorway still closed and likely to be until 3pm? Instead of jumping in, you may find that it isn’t a murder investigation or that anyone was killed. That was probably a lucky result, but opening up the road should be priority, not accident investigation.

judging by the pictures on bbc news this morning the lorry was in little bits. is the central reservation on this section metal or is it concrete?

updated story

jonboy

Having done the job of investigating serious and fatal accidents for over 13 years I do have a fair bit of knowledge surrounding this. Even if it is a lucky escape as you call it who are you to say that the physical and mental scars of such an incident won’t last with the people involved forever… Let’s just say for arguments sake it turned out that the incident happened either due to a fault with the vehicle that was a recall issue, and you were also driving said vehicle would took want to know?? Or if it was a geographical issue how would anyone know if it wasn’t investigated correctly… No vehicles can be moved until the investigation is complete, the investigation is going to cover a huge area due to the ‘cross over’ which will take time, you can’t have more than one lead investigator due to the factors involved and the consistency with evidence. Then once the investigation is complete the recovery can start… A full investigation including road closures will happen when and fatal, or life changing injury occurs… Next time before being so judgemental trying sitting with a family who have lost a loved one and not being able to give them answers! Or even seeing someone in hospital who has life changing injuries and not having answers! It is a fct that people need to know what happened! If the investigation was not done throughly and properly then how would the driver be prosecuted successfully if he or she was at fault, or how would road and environmental issues be dealt with!

When you say it is not the same as a murder investigation I would suggest that you learn your facts first. If someone is shot the subsequent investigation is treated as a murder investigation until it has been confirmed that the ‘victim’ is not going to die as a result.

6 pm is now the estimated opening time. That will take it to 26 hours closed

Powell1832:
Having done the job of investigating serious and fatal accidents for over 13 years I do have a fair bit of knowledge surrounding this. Even if it is a lucky escape as you call it who are you to say that the physical and mental scars of such an incident won’t last with the people involved forever… Let’s just say for arguments sake it turned out that the incident happened either due to a fault with the vehicle that was a recall issue, and you were also driving said vehicle would took want to know?? Or if it was a geographical issue how would anyone know if it wasn’t investigated correctly… No vehicles can be moved until the investigation is complete, the investigation is going to cover a huge area due to the ‘cross over’ which will take time, you can’t have more than one lead investigator due to the factors involved and the consistency with evidence. Then once the investigation is complete the recovery can start… A full investigation including road closures will happen when and fatal, or life changing injury occurs… Next time before being so judgemental trying sitting with a family who have lost a loved one and not being able to give them answers! Or even seeing someone in hospital who has life changing injuries and not having answers! It is a fct that people need to know what happened! If the investigation was not done throughly and properly then how would the driver be prosecuted successfully if he or she was at fault, or how would road and environmental issues be dealt with!

When you say it is not the same as a murder investigation I would suggest that you learn your facts first. If someone is shot the subsequent investigation is treated as a murder investigation until it has been confirmed that the ‘victim’ is not going to die as a result.

How many people did this incident actually affect, 28 miles of standing traffic, most of whom were probably not doing anything important. I have driven enough miles in this country and others to be judgemental. The most important thing is to get the roads moving after initial photographs & investigations have taken place. Well at least, that is the way it is done by other countries.

I take it from your legal exemption and your user name you have held a job in uniform.

Good luck with your newly chosen career as a lorry driver. Imagine being sat in that jam after a month away and not seeing your loved ones again this trip.

Wheel Nut:
Imagine being sat in that jam after a a month away and not seeing your loved ones again this trip.

Think about the wife and children of said driver who will NEVER see their husband and father again.

Saaamon:

Wheel Nut:
Imagine being sat in that jam after a a month away and not seeing your loved ones again this trip.

Think about the wife and children of said driver who will NEVER see their husband and father again.

No-ones died, if someone did die keeping a motorway closed for 26 hours aint going to bring them back, this country is obsessed with blaming someone else, lets close a motorway for 26 hours so we can find out who to blame and give them a £100 fine and a slap on the wrist. maybe if the HA looked at the 100’s of cameras they have they might see how the crash happened and save having to close a road for hours on end.

To top it all dartford tunnell tall one was shut :angry: :confused: .So to take a trailer over height for short one you
had to go round m 25 which was shut at the accident. Well done highways people you are getting worse