Protocol with horses

Sorry for the title,could"nt think of another way of putting it :blush:
Must admit to not reading the highway code for a while but i do remember something about being prepared to slow down or stop when encountering said animals on the road.
To make a short story long,Sat morning i was climbing a steep hill on a B road,when i noticed a couple of mounted equines
descending about 50 yards ahead.
Was going slow already but the bint on the first horse put her hand up in a way to signal me to stop,was going to drop another cog and crawl past but i put the handbrake on and turned the engine off.
What seemed like an eternity passed before they did and the thanks i got . . frec all,just one of them looks from someone who has a bit of cac on their nose,didn"t even doff her cap.
Thought it was courteous to give way to vehicles going uphill?
Sorry for the rambling.

they might well of been young horses and likely to spook by a truck engine. having horses myself I know what its like with young stock. I always give them plenty of space and to be honest better to stop sometimes and switch off till they get past especially in a small single track road, because even the size of a truck can spook them :wink: :wink: :wink:

Courteousā€¦

That went out the window a while ago for most. People think that everyone owes them something nowadays, or they canā€™t be bothered to stop for something, or even signal thank-you when you yield to them when itā€™s your right of way.

Where my Dad parks is a small yard on a corner where you have to back into from the read. I had to take the tanker to be washed for him on Monday (fair enough, Iā€™ve been at college last week so I was itching to get at the wheel). I get back to the yard, flick the hazards and beacons on and start manoeuvring into the gates. Then one of our ethnic brethren in his old Toyota taxi decided he couldnā€™t be arsed waiting for me, so he darts around my near side whilst Iā€™m on right lock, luckily I saw him come around the corner and expected the worst. Itā€™s surprising what people do for an extra couple of quid.

Ladies and Gentlemen, modern Britainā€¦

Should have just carried on mate. Ive lived in the countryside all my life and horse riders ā– ā– ā– ā–  me off no end. Why an unpredictable 1 ton beast that can get spooked by a floating plastic bag while being ridden by a child is allowed on the road ill never know. and as for the mess they leave behind that either goes up the side of your car or is hazard to cyclists/motorcyclists.

I could go on all day, selfish barstewards people who ride on the road IMO and the riders you encountered seem like the typical ā€œits my right to ride hereā€ and expect every road user to cater for their selfish needs.

I have no time for them. Iā€™ll slow down and give them a wide berth but theres no way Iā€™d be stopping.

Suedehead:
i put the handbrake on and turned the engine off.
What seemed like an eternity passed before they did and the thanks i got . .
Sorry for the rambling.

I would have done the same thing, but some riders can be less than thankful
Cheers
Paul

I dont mind horses but the riders can be a right pain in the Rse.A rural road can be narrow enough then you meet horsey people riding 2 abreast using their phone.

Iā€™d have stopped and turned the engine off too, until they didnā€™t say thanks, then Iā€™d have been sat on the air horns until it chucked the lazy bint off ha ha.

Theyā€™re not all ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  in my experience. In fact I canā€™t remember the last time I wasnā€™t thanked for slowing down etc.

Tractor drivers on the other handā€¦!

NewLad:
Iā€™d have stopped and turned the engine off too, until they didnā€™t say thanks, then Iā€™d have been sat on the air horns until it chucked the lazy bint off ha ha.

Really felt like doing that but then i would have been the the ā– ā– ā– ā–  and made the local headlines.
Not a lot goes on in these parts.
ā€œJuggernaught(spolling) spooks horseā€

Horses are an occupational hazard in my job, since I spend half my driving time on farm tracks and country lanes.

I usually switch off my engine and let them pass. Safer for them, less hassle for me if the horse still plays up cos I can prove I wasnā€™t moving. If they choose not to thank me (very rare) then why lower myself to their level by acting badly?

Magaā€¦ the old saying about people in glass houses comes to mind. :wink:

Was i obliged to stop?

why the long face ā– ā– ? :unamused:

I will get my coat ā€¦ :blush:

Suedehead:
Was i obliged to stop?

No mate, but personally Iā€™d consider it good sense and good manners to do so.

Sidevalve:

Suedehead:
Was i obliged to stop?

No mate, but personally Iā€™d consider it good sense and good manners to do so.

Agreed

Iā€™ll always stop and switch off if itā€™s safe to do so.

Having said that I canā€™t understand the attraction of riding your horse on a road instead of on the bridal path on the other side of the hedge, as often happens at our local equine centres roadā€¦

There was a case a couple of years ago in Dunkeld just of the A9 a stagecoach bus passed a horse and rider to fast and to close. The horse threw the rider and she was very badly injured. To cut a long story short the driver got sacked and stagecoach got sued for a 7 figure sum. As far as i am aware the driver was hauled in front of the TC to explain his actions i think his PCV was revoked.

Personally speaking when i come across a horse and rider when driving the coach the least i do is slow to down to walking pace and turn off the air-con unit which is at the rear N/S of the vehicle the noise from the aircon is deafening when its running at full tilt.

Little while back I was driving up the A56 in Manchester, past Old Trafford when United were playing at home. Passed a police horse so slowed right down, just as I got level with it, the fridge motor started upā€¦

Got the dirtiest look off the woman riding it but, what can you do :slight_smile:

maga:
Should have just carried on mate. Ive lived in the countryside all my life and horse riders ā– ā– ā– ā–  me off no end. Why an unpredictable 1 ton beast that can get spooked by a floating plastic bag while being ridden by a child is allowed on the road ill never know. and as for the mess they leave behind that either goes up the side of your car or is hazard to cyclists/motorcyclists.

I could go on all day, selfish barstewards people who ride on the road IMO and the riders you encountered seem like the typical ā€œits my right to ride hereā€ and expect every road user to cater for their selfish needs.

I have no time for them. Iā€™ll slow down and give them a wide berth but theres no way Iā€™d be stopping.

100% agree, if an animal has a panic attack caused by normal road noise then it shouldnā€™t be there. Horses are fairly good ā€œoff roadā€ I believe so go ride them in a field!
As for inconsiderate ā€œIā€™m in a world of my own where Iā€™m superior to everyone else and therefore donā€™t have to thank anyoneā€ types that I encounter more and more frequently, they get a bloody good horning when I give way and they canā€™t be arsed to merely raise a hand in thanks. Most of them donā€™t even know why theyā€™ve been horned (if they notice at all).
Itā€™s a bit of a pet peev of mine. Rant over.

Police horses are unlikely to get spooked by any traffic. Once worked on a tree gang, turned off the chain saws when i saw them coming by and the copper said it was fine to carry on. Its part of their training.
Horsey types are very arrogant i think. I built a public footpath beside my house, it was a planning condition as the undefined path went through my garden. Fenced off and stoned, its now a muddy pulp because of horse traffic. I once challenged a horsey type and asked her to go elsewhere as thereā€™s a clue in the title, ie FOOTpath, gobfull of abuse followed.
Iā€™ve no time for any of them.

No you did the right thing, i havenā€™t got a clue whats writ this week in the highway code about this and frankly care less, i, like most of us here, do the right thing without having to be instructed, by using the fast disappearing talents of commons sense and common courtesy.

You should feel sorry for the poor girl and her lack of manners, obviously her parents lack the basics and didnā€™t send her to the right school, young ladies who went to (finishing especially) a decent school were taught (unlikely they didnā€™t already know) how to behave in all circumstances, i suspect the female that you encountered was the progeny of new money, blinged up Range Rover sport parked at the stables?