New rules on passing horses

It looks like new rules are to be added to the highway code on passing horses.

From January (probably) drivers will be required to pass horses at no more than 10 mph and be no closer than 2 meters.

Personally I think it’s about time, though the talk in the article about the hierarchy in the highway code is a tad petty imo.

horseandhound.co.uk/news/ma … led-770854

Sent by smoke signals from my mobile.

If I can I usually pull over to side and switch engine off, especially if it’s some young fity , always get you a smile and a wave.
Did it a few months back when delivering to one of the big houses that the Malcom family own.
The lady phoned up one of our directors and told him to thank me.
Yeah I know cool story bro

thought this was all common sense, what next dont press washer fluid button if pedestrian or cyclist are near

I can slow…

Down to 10mph and leave two metres because I’m in full control of my vehicle. Unlike the horses who will rear up and gallop off uncontrollably if so much as an iddy biddy leaf blows across their face.

No requirement then for our friends who go out trotting just before it gets dark to even have a high viz; let alone lights?

hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hu … ge-6293680

I don’t think a change in rules will make much of a difference to this idiot.

What if there isn’t the room to leave a 2 m gap? That makes the road 6 m wide!

Many roads where I am are hardly wide enough for a single truck.

cav551:
No requirement then for our friends who go out trotting just before it gets dark to even have a high viz; let alone lights?

I wonder if flashing rear red lights like bicycles have can be retro fitted to saddles - the horse will not see them :bulb: :question:

ROG:

cav551:

I wonder if flashing rear red lights like bicycles have can be retro fitted to saddles - the horse will not see them :bulb: :question:

Thinking of fitting my horse with blue lights at the front, anyone know what the law says about that?

:wink:

exit:
Thinking of fitting my horse with blue lights at the front, anyone know what the law says about that?

As long as they aren’t flashing or moving you should be ok :wink:

Is it perchance a hobby horse? A few here seem to have one also.

exit:

I think you might potentially get away with that as I suspect the law only applies to vehicles, :laughing:

I’ve edited my post after seeing that video from Hull :open_mouth: I wouldn’t want an attempt at humor to be misconstrued

TruckerGuy:

2 metres dont seem excessive to me. If the road is too narrow to overtake a tractor, you stay behind, don’t you?
So if the road is too narrow to overtake a horse you stay behind.
They’re both found in the sticks, they’re both an inconvenience to us on narrow roafs, but they’re both legal. Be easier if neither was there…
Am I missing summat?

Franglais:

TruckerGuy:

2 metres dont seem excessive to me. If the road is too narrow to overtake a tractor, you stay behind, don’t you?
They’re both found in the sticks, they’re both an inconvenience to us on narrow roafs, but they’re both legal. Be easier if neither was there…
Am I missing summat?

What if it’s going in the opposite direction to you? Are you supposed to do a U-turn because you can’t leave it a 2 meter gap?

stu675:

Franglais:

TruckerGuy:

Am I missing summat?

What if it’s going in the opposite direction to you? Are you supposed to do a U-turn because you can’t leave it a 2 meter gap?

In my post I clearly said,
“If the road is too narrow to overtake, then you stay behind”.
If you are travelling in opposite directions then clearly you won’t be overtaking.
When seeing a wide tractor or whatever doesn’t one or t’other pull into a gateway if available? Where is the difference?
Seems to me that if it is narrow, with no passing place, just stop and allow the horse to pass you. That’s what I do now.

Opposite direction = STOP and let horse go by

If possible switch off engine

ROG:

Yes Rog this is what I do, common sense really.

ROG:

^^^^^ This every time.

Personally I’ve never had much of a problem with horse riders, it’s not in the horse riders interests to have motors behind them so invariably they will pull into a gateway or whatever and let you pass slowly as soon as practical.

I suppose it’s like every other slower obstacle on the roads, if you don’t have the patience to deal with them safely it’s you who should not be using public roads not them.

unfortunatly it takes two to share the road. Having grown up with the real horsey set most are reasonable human beings and try thier best not to inconvinience others and work with the other traffic on the road if they have to use the road for a short distance. however the majority that you come across on the road are nothing but wanna be ■■■■■■ or jumped up snobs that think haveing some clapped out nag thats malnurished and badly cared for makes them a cut above the rest and thier pressence on the road means they own it. You can tell the type by the number of circles on the front grill of thier cars.

tachograph:
I suppose it’s like every other slower obstacle on the roads, if you don’t have the patience to deal with them safely it’s you who should not be using public roads not them.

There’s a lot more to the ‘new rules’ than just the common sense approach to horses.
It all gets a lot sillier when the most vulnerable road users are told it’s that it’s ok for them to ignore give way and stop orders and to overtake or undertake right or left turning vehicles.

cooper1203:
unfortunatly it takes two to share the road.
Having grown up with the real horsey set most are reasonable human beings and try thier best not to inconvinience others and work with the other traffic on the road if they have to use the road for a short distance.

however the majority that you come across on the road are nothing but wanna be [zb] or jumped up snobs that think haveing some clapped out nag thats malnurished and badly cared for makes them a cut above the rest and thier pressence on the road means they own it. You can tell the type by the number of circles on the front grill of thier cars.