Ascott transport Limited ATL

Has anyone worked for Ascott Transport Limited ? ATL Foston or Carlisle ?

Not me, but like I stated in the last thread (keeps popping up every month) I believe they want drivers to work under a new type of payment system.

Some do PAYE, some do Agency, some do S/E and some do LTD…

I believe these guys only do “Registered Charities” as I was told £7.10 for all hours/all days as a LTD Co.

Much better paid work out there.

£7.10 ■■
i wouldn’t even waste 10p on a phone call.
there could well be a driver shortage before too long,
then we can all hold these companies to ransom for a decent wage.
just bide your time lads n lasses and make them pay…

I went a bit back for interview at Foston was told £7.50 for tip or load ,paid by the kilometer 12p or £85 per day which was ever the greater …so if you had a slack day you still got £85.never took the job thou stayed with the company i was working for !

Isn’t it illegal to pay like that here?

My son-in-law used to do some work for ATL on the agency - I have to say they never expected him to do anything out of the ordinary/not do-able/illegal. In fact, he always spoke well of them.

The company is run by the Ascott brothers of whom I have no knowledge, although I did know their father Dennis many yonks ago. Any of the older members on here remember Ascott Motors in Derby - brown and cream removals wagons? I remember Dennis as an extremely competent ballroom dancer!

Steve

C10HOO on here drove for them for a while out of Carlisle.

See them regular running from the old Browns depot. Kit looks tidy enough and I’ve certainly not heard much against them.

Hi Dew cheers do ou have any contact info for C10HOO the find a member page just keeps coming up with am error ? cheers

nanananahhhhh

i was at Carlisle depot via agency (class 2 ) and getting £8 ph about 2 years ago . driving a 12 tonner delivering tyres anywhere from n yorks to borders to sw Scotland . I quite enjoyed it , as said earlier was never asked to do anything untoward , nor was I bothered with phone calls . as a newbie I wasn’t always sure about where I was going but again it was no problem for the supervisor (name escapes me :confused: ) to spend 10 mins putting me right . the only downside that I can recall was that employed drivers were paid off the card ,so the time spent between the wagon and the office handing in notes etc was unpaid .

blindspot:
Has anyone worked for Ascott Transport Limited ? ATL Foston or Carlisle ?

syramax:
i was at Carlisle depot via agency (class 2 ) and getting £8 ph about 2 years ago . driving a 12 tonner delivering tyres anywhere from n yorks to borders to sw Scotland . I quite enjoyed it , as said earlier was never asked to do anything untoward , nor was I bothered with phone calls . as a newbie I wasn’t always sure about where I was going but again it was no problem for the supervisor (name escapes me :confused: ) to spend 10 mins putting me right . the only downside that I can recall was that employed drivers were paid off the card ,so the time spent between the wagon and the office handing in notes etc was unpaid .

Pretty sure it’s illegal not to pay someone for time they’re actually working (which walking into the office to give them your paperwork is – if it wasn’t, you wouldn’t need to do it).

Is this company any connection to the ATL which does containers out of Tilbury? I approached them for a job last year and the wages were pretty poor; barely above minimum wage and topped up with bonuses (but not great even then). First they said they could accommodate me despite being a couple of months short of the two years’ experience, then once I asked about pay scales and pressed the issue, they said “oh sorry, the insurers said no after all”.

IndigoJo:

syramax:

Pretty sure it’s illegal not to pay someone for time they’re actually working (which walking into the office to give them your paperwork is – if it wasn’t, you wouldn’t need to do it).

Is this company any connection to the ATL which does containers out of Tilbury? I approached them for a job last year and the wages were pretty poor; barely above minimum wage and topped up with bonuses (but not great even then). First they said they could accommodate me despite being a couple of months short of the two years’ experience, then once I asked about pay scales and pressed the issue, they said “oh sorry, the insurers said no after all”.

Seperate firm. The one in Tilbury is a reinvention of a defunct company called Ashdown Transport Ltd

misterg44:
I went a bit back for interview at Foston was told £7.50 for tip or load ,paid by the kilometer 12p or £85 per day which was ever the greater …so if you had a slack day you still got £85.never took the job thou stayed with the company i was working for !

You’d have to do 709 kilometers to equal that £ 85…