One of Concorde's final journeys

Have today walked part of a route that one of the Concorde’s will be taking to its final destination in Scotland.Why you may ask have i been doing this well the company i work for as an arborist has been given the job of tree pruning on part of the route to be taken from Heathrow to a location where Concorde will be placed on a Barge and taken via the Thames and then onwards to Scotland.This will be taking place on the Sunday 4th April @ roughly 6am Concorde will leave Heathrow on the A30 with its wings and tail section parts removed on a Truck pulled trailer of some sorts ( mention of two seperate units supporting either end) and continue down the A4 towards Central London until it reaches Gillete Corner and turns onto the B454 “Syon Lane” heading towards Isleworth onto “Spur road” Then onto the A310 “Twickenham Rd” briefly where it will turn off onto “Park Rd” Where it will drive down to the Thames and be driven onto a barge awaiting it.The section of road from the A4 is the section that we have been given to deal with but sadly i will not be with the company for this monumental occasion.Also please note that there will be huge delays and road closures in this area on that date due to this move.To think that they are taking something that big via road down towards the Thames is very impressive to say the least as fine the A4 is 3 lane carriage way but the rest of the route is single carriage way route ( 2 lanes only ) and the dimensions we have been given are as follows 6m High and 5m either side of the centre line of road and that all poles ,traffic lights and lamp columns on this route from the A4 are to be removed and of course the trees to be pruned and just in case a team has to be on call on that Sunday to follow the procession and be required to remove any limb or branch that impedes the procession.
Full details of why the move etc are to be found here Concorde Goes To Scotland
and also Concorde’s Route
Why do all the fun jobs turn up after i leave i want to know

Why are they taking it to bits? wont it fly up to scotland?

I thought they were still roadworthy if you know what I mean.

I will have a look at the site.

I was in Bristol when the last ones flew home to Filton

A sad day

Monday Night as I flew out of Heathrow and taxied down to await take off. Our plane stopped for about 5 minutes right along side a Concord standing in all it’s majesty, I take it this is the plane you are talking about. Why don’t they leave it where it belongs and where it stand so impresivley at present :question:

I showed my American relatives travelling with me the pride of British aviation, soon to be gone for good. :frowning:

Wheel Nut:
Why are they taking it to bits? wont it fly up to scotland?

I thought they were still roadworthy if you know what I mean.

I will have a look at the site.

I was in Bristol when the last ones flew home to Filton

A sad day

last time this one flew was 2000 it hink since then it has been a “spares” plane as the company that made spares for concorde stopped making them which is partly the reason why it was shelved and yes a sad day

Pat Hasler:
Monday Night as I flew out of Heathrow and taxied down to await take off. Our plane stopped for about 5 minutes right along side a Concord standing in all it’s majesty, I take it this is the plane you are talking about. Why don’t they leave it where it belongs and where it stand so impresivley at present :question:

I showed my American relatives travelling with me the pride of British aviation, soon to be gone for good. :frowning:

it may have been that one im not sure but i do know that they have plans to have one of them on display in the new termimal 5 area of heathrow so at least that they will have one there and its amazingw hat you could buy for a £1 in those days lol

Then I would think the one I saw was the one destined to stay there as it stands proudly out front of terminal 5 now.

I would think if one is to be moved in bits it would be in buts by now. :open_mouth: