Is it normal to be friends with a past lover?

First of all this is not a wind up and I’m a bit embarrassed asking on here but my mind just wonders all day when I’m driving so want to get other peoples opinions.

Basically I’ve started seeing this bird, she has been a good mate for about 4 years but there’s always been something else there between us. We have properly been seeing each other for about 4 months now and it’s going good except something that I can’t get my head around.
She is good mates with a fella that she slept with a few times when she was about 18/19… She’s 25 next month.
I completely beleive her when she says she doesn’t feel a single thing for him and in fact she gets pretty ■■■■■■ off whenever I insinuate something on the subject.
She is in a group of friends that are very close, mixed between boys and girls and they often go out together and have BBQs etc

Like I say she is a good girl and we like each other alot. I just can’t help feeling that I might be being a bit of a mug, my mind wonders all over the place at work and sometimes I just feel like letting her go because it’s eating away at me.
What do you think?

If it was years ago…Leave it!

I am mates with a couple x I have no prob with this at all dont see what all the fuss is about I even speak to my x husband at times we still get on just cant live together simple

As vern say if it was years ago then leave it not they didnt make it as lovers but can still be adult enough to stay friends then so be it stop being a child & grow up

animal:
I am mates with a couple x I have no prob with this at all dont see what all the fuss is about I even speak to my x husband at times we still get on just cant live together simple

As vern say if it was years ago then leave it not they didnt make it as lovers but can still be adult enough to stay friends then so be it stop being a child & grow up

■■■■ me i was only asking if it was normal as ive never been in this situation before or know anyone with the same!!!

I get wot ur sayin pal but u might regret letting her go and as you say 4mths together now so sumets right between ya both.
But you must also start to think that if she wanted this other dude she could of been with him before but shes not is she shes with you,chill a bit an try not thinkin about it,we all av a past dont we.
I get paranoid at times surely thats just the norm,dont let it mess with ur head bud!
Hope it works out for ya.

If she’s good in bed…Ask yourself, how did she get that good? :wink:

Volvofh16:
I get wot ur sayin pal but u might regret letting her go and as you say 4mths together now so sumets right between ya both.
But you must also start to think that if she wanted this other dude she could of been with him before but shes not is she shes with you,chill a bit an try not thinkin about it,we all av a past dont we.
I get paranoid at times surely thats just the norm,dont let it mess with ur head bud!
Hope it works out for ya.

+1

Seems pretty normal to me - if anything, a good sign, in that those who are still friends with their exes tend to be more emotionally mature than those who’ve completely spat their dummies and want nothing more to do with them, although obviously that’s dependent on the circumstances of the split to a certain extent.

Jealousy can eat you up so bad…that you make yourself into an ■■■■■■■■, it can make you ill and feel stressed out…i was a realy jealous type yrs ago and it cost me…if she wants to be with you take everyday as a blessing…thats if you think she is the one for you, i would be layed back and ignore this old flame…you cant make people love you and jealousy will drive them away…chill out a bit and get on with your driving and look forward to your free time spent together…if she wanted to be with him it would be obvious, regards shytalk.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

you can be friends with an ex and even be best friends. amicable splits are always better for all concerned but being friends with an ex might be a good thing for you. she knows there are reasons why they are only friends and in my own case, it would never work as a couple so friends is all we ever will be. no danger of seeing if the grass is greener as i know from experience that it isnt

I am very good friends with my ex wife ,we are like brother and sister now and we will do anything for each other ,I’m now married to a lovely thai lady and my ex has stayed with us at our home in thailand.If you have spent a lot of time with a person you can’t just ignore them when intamacy is over ,just be adult and treat people as you would want to be treated yourself.lifes too short !

Christ. I’m friends with about 5 or 6 ex’s. I don’t feel normal now. I had 2 ex’s at my wedding. (now divorced.)

I’m best mates with my ex. Occassionaly their new partners used to get a bit jealous of me but my answer was always the same, we’ve been there, done that, it didn’t work out so why would we go back? Besides if we wanted to be together we would be and the new partner wouldn’t be on the scene. So, there is no reason to be in any way jealous in my opinion.

Just seen this is from last autumn. So, are you still together? Did you get over this little hurdle?

You need to keep your mind on the job young man and nothing else.

FarnboroughBoy11:
First of all this is not a wind up and I’m a bit embarrassed asking on here but my mind just wonders all day when I’m driving so want to get other peoples opinions.

Basically I’ve started seeing this bird, she has been a good mate for about 4 years but there’s always been something else there between us. We have properly been seeing each other for about 4 months now and it’s going good except something that I can’t get my head around.
She is good mates with a fella that she slept with a few times when she was about 18/19… She’s 25 next month.
I completely beleive her when she says she doesn’t feel a single thing for him and in fact she gets pretty ■■■■■■ off whenever I insinuate something on the subject.
She is in a group of friends that are very close, mixed between boys and girls and they often go out together and have BBQs etc

Like I say she is a good girl and we like each other alot. I just can’t help feeling that I might be being a bit of a mug, my mind wonders all over the place at work and sometimes I just feel like letting her go because it’s eating away at me.
What do you think?

Let her go,it will just eat away at you,there’s plenty of fish out there,and the right one is amongst them.you know when you meet that one