Zero Hours Contract

There’s a job being advertised regularly and they are holding group interviews where they see how you work with others. The next part is like an induction, although they are not calling it that, they call it training and employment is subject to the outcome. The advert still continues.
It is a zero hours contract and it is likely they will take on more employees than they need and have a pool to choose from.
I understand some employers can only provide employment when they get the work but there is zero security for the worker and without them you have nothing. Are there other reasons (holiday pay) why these contracts are used?
global

Zero hours contracts are used by companies to take advantage of employees and employees agree to them because they cannot find any decent jobs

We need more jobs or less people and the first is not going to happen but the second could easily be done

Simple answer is that they can take the ■■■■.

they get away with it because we allow them to its that simple i mm afraid personally i wouldent take employment like that as its no better than working For an agency

Zero hours =

• We don’t actually have any work for you
  • But we want the work force just in case! but not pay to have you sitting around!

But they should know that when running a business there is risk! and commitment!

• some of the problem comes down to ad hoc work, only ordering at the last minute and not expecting to pay throw the noise for it!

These are becoming increasing popular in all fields of work they sometimes need you bet cant guarantee the work so wont pay you if not there where as if you have a contract they must pay you ( even if they lay you off you still get some pay )

It is to protect the employer & they then dont have to use an agency so it cut there cost down

This government introduced them put it is also good for them as they can then say there are x amount of jobs out there etc so a lot of people say there are loads of jobs out there go get 1 if you are not working but you are also made to teke these zero hours contracts has happened to a mate of mine & his daughter ( neither in transport btw )

Once you accept a zero hour contract you are no longer unemployed whether you do just 1 hour a month or not, this gvt have taken the ■■■■ with e everyone apart from fellow millionaires.
The council around here is now advertising zero hour contracts despite making hundreds redundant. These contracts are very popular across the EU and I can’t see it changing here apart from getting worse.

This is what was voted for and they’ll be voting for it again next year too. The EU/EEC or whatever its called at the moment is just a rich kids club really - the only chance you’ve got is to vote for something different next time.

Its like being self employed. There’s work to do, you get paid. There’s nowt to do, you go home no pay .

mick.mh2racing:
Its like being self employed. There’s work to do, you get paid. There’s nowt to do, you go home no pay .

This.

My wife has been on zero hours at her sign company for over a decade. It works both ways. When there’s no work she doesn’t go in or works reduced hours but when she wants time off she just takes it without having to use holidays or worry about losing her job.

Because of what their main client base used to be, holiday parks, she used to be on reduced/no hours from the end of October to around the middle of January but as the client base has changed to being mostly manufacturing the last two years there’s been very little reduction other than the odd 2 or 3 day week.

You learn to live with it and adjust accordingly learning not to spend all your wages instead banking some to cover the quiet periods.

Conor:

mick.mh2racing:

This.

My wife has been on zero hours at her sign company for over a decade. It works both ways. When there’s no work she doesn’t go in or works reduced hours but when she wants time off she just takes it without having to use holidays or worry about losing her job.

Because of what their main client base used to be, holiday parks, she used to be on reduced/no hours from the end of October to around the middle of January but as the client base has changed to being mostly manufacturing the last two years there’s been very little reduction other than the odd 2 or 3 day week.

You learn to live with it and adjust accordingly learning not to spend all your wages instead banking some to cover the quiet periods.

No good at all if you are the “Bread Winner” though is it ?

gus607:

Conor:

mick.mh2racing:

This.

Exactly - they just want total control over you. Its not like being self employed in that you would earn three times as much if you were.

gus607:

She has been.

Its not like being self employed in that you would earn three times as much if you were.

BWAHAHA.

No good if you are single either & have all the bill to pay

animal:

Plenty of agency and self employed people seem to manage OK.

If you buy a house (as people are being encouraged to do) and the mortgage is x amount every month, you’re on a zero hours deal, what does your lender do if you say ‘sorry, I’ve only done 2 hrs this month’ will you accept £12.70 and I’ll try and make it up next month?

Can’t see the point myself in taking on debts that you’ll have little or any chance of repaying. Capitalism would appear to be a busted flush.

Conor:

animal:

Difference for me is that with zero hour contracts it doesn’t seem as easy to go and work elsewhere when your employer has nothing doing for you. Like they want you to commit to them, but they don’t want to commit to you. Like working for an agency with only one client.

on the run:
Zero hours =

• We don’t actually have any work for you
  • But we want the work force just in case! but not pay to have you sitting around!

But they should know that when running a business there is risk! and commitment!

• some of the problem comes down to ad hoc work, only ordering at the last minute and not expecting to pay throw the noise for it!

& also, on the nose.

Conor:

animal:

Really :unamused: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I tried surviving working for agencies, i lasted 12mths before i decided it wasn’t worthwhile, you need a regular income, otherwise the debts start to ramp up , I was acually better off on the dole, when averaged out over the year, it didn’t help getting over taxed,because the agencies didn’t want to use my tax code,