Zero hours contract.

Anyone have the misfortune to be on this…m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23570345

It’s what a lot of agency staff get now to avoid the AWR.

mac12:
It’s what a lot of agency staff get now to avoid the AWR.

It was more employed staff i meant.

We have some retired drivers in our depot who work “as & when required” they are on a zero hours contract - they worked for the company full time up until they took retirement

yep and its crap , I don’t need a big wage but if you don’t know that you will only get one days work in a week ,the rest of the week is wasted waiting for the phone to ring. I now hang about at home up to about 10 am then “do something” if the phone rings a bit later I then decide can I /do i I want to stop doing what im doing and answer the phone or ignore it . (I hope that makes sense). basically if I am on a as required basis , so is work . some weeks I will get 40+ hrs (rare) others I may only get 8 hrs. and all for the magnificent sum of £6.19 p/h . I really like the job (driving 3.5t &7.5t) and if I could find something more regular I would take it.however at 56 yr old and a body that’s been abused by 30 years of heavy engineering 70+ drops a day would see me off. :frowning:

I’m on it and was on it previously…

I’m on it now for R Plevin and was on it previously for Roadways.

It’s good when there’s work, but when there isn’t… I did 10mths for Roadways and then got told I was going to be stood down for a week in January with no holidays to use… Because we’re all thrifty over xmas and make sure we’ve got money in the bank for an unpaid week off in January…

I ended up emptying my wagon and going back on agency to pay the bills.

I got my first start driving artics on a zero hours contract it was a valuable foot in the door. I got way more work than the other casuals and was pretty much doing full time all the time, because I wasn’t moaning and running the firm down all the time, like they were.

If you come in, do you job right and go home without fuss, zero hours can work out just fine. Don’t get me wrong, I’m full time now and I wouldn’t want to change that for the world, but the ZHC served a purpose beautifully in my case. Plus, I can say I’ve never had to use an agency (nor would I!)

The contract is between 2 parties ,its up to you to make it work for yourself.I like the idea of saying “if you want me call before o9.30 as I will have something else lined up after that time.”

i worked, employed, full time, permanent etc… for warcups on a zero hours contract. when told about it at the interview i wasn’t happy, but i’d been told that the firm i was working for would be shutting in 2 weeks, so what do you do? needs must. in the 6 months i was there, there was never a shortage of hours, quite the opposite, so it was never an issue and i was actually better off due to getting average hours holiday pay instead of 40, but it could always go the other way.

It’s ■■■■■…!

I’m on a zero hours contract. The only agency I looked at offering anything but zero hours was ADN with their 12 hours of “shifts you don’t want/can’t get to” stuff which still rendered it useless for takeup. :imp:

Zero hours also get around AWD rules, by moving a bod onto a different client at least once every 12 weeks, so they’ll never qualify for parity pay.
If most of your work is at firms where the full timers get less however, that’s no skin off one’s nose. :wink: In other words, I’m quite happy with my current contract, all the while I’m working at those clients that pay their full timers less than I get. :smiley:

I estimate that there are nearly as many zero hours people as there are agency people, the dearth of actual full time jobs being what it is nowdays. :frowning:

Try 5-6 million, or perhaps the number of people that can’t afford to buy a house because they can’t get a mortgage these days.

GBA services is basically a zero hrs contract, As if they have no work or don’t decide to give you work,they don’t pay you if you are sat at home avaiable for work, if that isn’t a zero hrs contract i dunno what is,

The brown stuff hit the fan last week when Sports Direct were found to be doing zero contracts, article reckons staff aren’t entitled to holiday or sick pay

uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/part-t … 26959.html

Waco:
The brown stuff hit the fan last week when Sports Direct were found to be doing zero contracts, article reckons staff aren’t entitled to holiday or sick pay

uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/part-t … 26959.html

Holiday pay can be made up with the old “£1 an hour extra stuck into a pot” - which is good enough if you don’t have to join umbrella to get the pot thus topped-up. :wink:
Sick pay however… I dunno how that works, as I’ve never drawn SSP in my life. As a full timer, I used to get “Sick pay at pension rate” which was a payment of £200 per week taken out of your pension pot built up so far. When you went back to work, you re-topped it up of course, meaning most importantly that The Money You Received is YOUR money to start with, and disqualifies you from getting other benefits like SSP for starters". Right nasty little scheme that, and I’m glad I’m now out of it.

Brain extraction of the first order IMHO and those that do it must be making an income somehow. How do they live? Eat? Buy clothes? Pay rent? All very dodgy if you ask me.

I think, once good old Blighty gets back on its feet properly, these ■■■■■■■■ working conditions will disappear, might take a good few years though :cry:

I think the general consensus is TEN years before the upturn has gone deep enough, so that employers have decided by that point to stop taking the ■■■■. :wink:
One could argue if it’s ten years from the start of the recession in 2008, or ten years as of now - but it would be nice for staff to have the power over cut-throat competing terms & conditions on new contracts again wouldn’t it? :slight_smile:
I have a dream!

I thought this was 2013, not 1813.

Would be a good idea if politicians were on this system, then they would only get paid for what they do…

Tiger.

My sister is on one at the same place as me, she is driving the Sprinter Vans, it suits her down to the ground, they keep offering her full time and she says no. My brother in-law is the main earner in their house, when my nephew is off school for holidays/weekends/sick she just tells them she isn’t working she has been on it for about 6 weeks now and has never done less than 30hrs, she get’s £6.77ph + 50p ph bonus and average hours holiday pay.

The flexibility really suits her, I suppose it help my place would have you in 8 days a week if they could.

Zero Hours works for the staff IF the firm doesn’t get arsey every time they want time off at the drop of a hat. It isn’t really “time off” though, if you have no bleedin hours in the first place eh?