Zer0 - PASSED! :D :D :D

:open_mouth: What a day ! :frowning:

Had my first lesson today at Enterprise LGV in Manchester. Let’s just say i have quite a lot to get right before my test on monday!

My main problem is my state of mind. I’m manoeuvring the truck as if i’m still driving a car and it’s causing me all types of problems. My speed was a little high when coming to turns, although i seemed to correct this as the lesson went on. I’m turning the vehicle WAY to early as well as if i’m in a car. My instructor would tell me to keep moving forward before turning and my hands would be itching like crazy on the wheel desperate to turn, constantly thinking i’m moving too far forward. I also need to keep an eye on my rear wheels in my left hand mirror while turning as well as i clipped a lot kerbs today.

Overall my confidence has hit rock bottom. I almost felt like jumping out and going home! But i know the mind is scared of what it doesn’t fully understand and this is all very new to me at the moment. I’m going to get a good sleep tonight and hit it again tomorrow morning with a clear mind. As soon as i get out of this car state of mind i’m confident i will nail it! I just need practice practice practice!

Wish me luck! :neutral_face:

2nd Lesson!

What can i say! I was MILES better today! :smiley:

I had a new instructor who really put me at ease before i got out on the road. Today i really got my speed down at junctions so i could think straight about my procedure, Mirrors - Signal - Position - Speed - Look. A lot of people have said to just get your speed down way before so you can plan, i didn’t know how easy it is when you actually put that into practice :slight_smile: .

I tackled some roundabout and some very tight turns today, all the while checking my mirrors for my rear wheel. I clipped a few kerbs very early on but i straightened that out come the middle of the lesson. I’m really adapting to the size of the truck now and my mind it starting to understand the need to edge out that extra length before turning in. I started to mess up the gears a touch after a couple of hours so we took a break and had brew. We got started after that and my instructor just told me to follow the signs to Manchester which was no problem. My neck is actually a bit achy after today, i was using the mirrors a LOT just making sure i wasn’t driving to the kerb ETC.

Confidence has shot way up now. There’s some more things to iron out but with 9 and a half hours more training before my test on Monday i’m confident i’ll be ready to smash it!

A great day! thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Dont be disheartened , we all had the first day your being taught to drive something a lot bigger than a car and as you have found is a lot different , I say it to other people if you didnt need to be taught everyone would have a hgv licence , things will get better as your training goes on and by the end the instructor will have you ready for that test just listen hard and keep an eye on those mirrors , and where the back wheels are when your turning and you will see how to position the veh correctly , when your out and about check out other lorry drivers as they are turning you will notice how all of them are constantly checking the mirrors to make sure they a re positioning correctly so is your mirrors are your best friend even after you pass !!!

good luck :smiley:

Zer0:
Had my first lesson today at Enterprise LGV in Manchester. Let’s just say i have quite a lot to get right before my test on monday!

Are you training over the weekend?

ROG:
Are you training over the weekend?

Yes i’ve got Friday, Saturday and Sunday training. All 4 hour lessons and then an hour and half before my test on Monday.

Jennie:
Dont be disheartened , we all had the first day your being taught to drive something a lot bigger than a car and as you have found is a lot different , I say it to other people if you didnt need to be taught everyone would have a hgv licence , things will get better as your training goes on and by the end the instructor will have you ready for that test just listen hard and keep an eye on those mirrors , and where the back wheels are when your turning and you will see how to position the veh correctly , when your out and about check out other lorry drivers as they are turning you will notice how all of them are constantly checking the mirrors to make sure they a re positioning correctly so is your mirrors are your best friend even after you pass !!!

good luck :smiley:

Cheers Jennie :slight_smile: , At the back of my head i keep thinking i’ve performed really bad and let myself down but I keep telling myself, at the end of the day it was my first full time in a truck, and i had to drive down some narrow roads too. Children, Cars and Cyclists everywhere! Quite daunting for my first day, so that alone has knocked my confidence a bit. It got a lot easier after my instructor pointed out i could use the clutch without having to add any gas like i do in my petrol car. I nailed the reversing exercise the second try after that.

My instructor changes everyday also, so by the time i get to know one instructor i get somebody else to get used to the next day which is odd. :confused:

Hang in there, it should come easier to you tomorrow. just remember to keep putting everything you’re being told and learning into practice - you need to have 100% focus and concentration at all times on every move you make. Checking the mirrors is a big thing - every time you pass parked cars, pedestrians, when other trucks pass you coming towards you, when you’re at lights/junctions/roundabouts, when slowing down or speeding up. every move you make must be accompanied by a check of the mirrors - and even when you’re just plodding along too! It’s a steep learning curve if you’ve not been in/around HGVs before, but that’s why you’re having lessons. Good luck for the rest of the weekend!

If you use your mirrors to judge where the rear wheels are you will see why you are needing more room for the manoeuvre.

Don’t worry about making a hash of it today. You didn’t damage anything and tomorrow is another day.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PS. The worst thing you can do tonight is worry. Take tomorrow as it comes :slight_smile:

I bet tomorrow will be fine past both mine 1st time with less than 5 minors after my first lesson my instructor needed a ■■■ and a whiskey and asked if driving was really for me lol we all been there good luck for Monday!

Cheers guys, I guess everyone has been on my position at some stage, even the instructor! I guess i’m worrying too much about the whole thing. I’m back in the cab at 7am tomorrow for another lesson so it’s off to bed for a decent night’s sleep!

My instructor told me, if your neck doesn’t ache your not checking your mirrors enough!! i passed a couple of weeks ago and was the same as you, not used to driving something this size and i’m a (dare i say) white van man :confused:
After the first lesson i found it alot better and drove well all week, untill the morning of my test when i drove a shocker!! got the mistakes out the way before the test and passed with 5 minors.
Good luck pal.

What can i say! I was MILES better today! :smiley:

I had a new instructor who really put me at ease before i got out on the road. Today i really got my speed down at junctions so i could think straight about my procedure, Mirrors - Signal - Position - Speed - Look. A lot of people have said to just get your speed down way before so you can plan, i didn’t know how easy it is when you actually put that into practice :slight_smile: .

I tackled some roundabout and some very tight turns today, all the while checking my mirrors for my rear wheel. I clipped a few kerbs very early on but i straightened that out come the middle of the lesson. I’m really adapting to the size of the truck now and my mind it starting to understand the need to edge out that extra length before turning in. I started to mess up the gears a touch after a couple of hours so we took a break and had brew. We got started after that and my instructor just told me to follow the signs to Manchester which was no problem. My neck is actually a bit achy after today, i was using the mirrors a LOT just making sure i wasn’t driving to the kerb ETC.

Confidence has shot way up now. There’s some more things to iron out but with 9 and a half hours more training before my test on Monday i’m confident i’ll be ready to smash it!

A great day! thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Was it the change of instructor or the fact that you have had sleep time to assimilate the previous training which has made the most difference?

Stick with it - it will all come together. Did my training with Enterprise back in 2004/2005. Hope the have got some newer vehicles now :smiley:

Told you you’d be miles better and tommo I bet you won’t clip any kerbs at all!

ROG:
Was it the change of instructor or the fact that you have had sleep time to assimilate the previous training which has made the most difference?

Honestly, i think it was a mix of both. A good sleep the previous night before did me wonders and i felt a lot more comfortable with the new instructor.

daleman:
Stick with it - it will all come together. Did my training with Enterprise back in 2004/2005. Hope the have got some newer vehicles now :smiley:

:smiley: They’re definetly more modern! I’m not sure of their actual age as they all have private plates. I’ve seen photo’s of the old DAF’s they used to use though

Karl86:
Told you you’d be miles better and tommo I bet you won’t clip any kerbs at all!

!

I’m pretty confident i won’t. I’ve got a killer tight turn coming up tomorrow which i can’t wait to get stuck into!

Not literally of course! :smiley:

With your tight turn, just don’t rush. Use the space you need and it’ll be easy :slight_smile:

well done, glas to hear it went better! keep it up

if you keep your back wheels along the yellow lines on road or a drains width away from them if no lines you wont hit the kerbs , so look in those mirrors as you go round , my instructor told me this and it works , its all practice now until your test so refine that driving you have the basics , put em into practice slow approaches to give you time for manoeuvres and awareness of all other vehs pedestrians etc , and you will nail that test

How did today’s lesson go?

Jennie:
if you keep your back wheels along the yellow lines on road or a drains width away from them if no lines you wont hit the kerbs , so look in those mirrors as you go round , my instructor told me this and it works , its all practice now until your test so refine that driving you have the basics , put em into practice slow approaches to give you time for manoeuvres and awareness of all other vehs pedestrians etc , and you will nail that test

Karl86:
How did today’s lesson go?

Even better than yesterday to be honest :slight_smile: I’ve got the basics sorted and now it’s just a matter of fine-tuning. The main things i need to improve on slightly is my road positioning, i sometimes have wheels in cycle lanes and yellow lines and leave a big chunk of room between me and the centre line, so i just need to centre the truck a touch. I got the hang of this within the first couple of roads in today’s lesson but i’m also a bit unsure at times whether to cross the centre line slightly.

My approach speed to junctions was a bit fast at the start of the lesson so i focused on that for the last hour or two. Starting to let off the gas a lot earlier and squeeze that brake pedal nice and gently which gives me tons of time to get my gear ready.

I also need to stop further back when approaching hazards such as parked cars and buses at bus-stops. And need to remember to indicate when stopped at a hazard. I had stopped before some parked cars today to give way to oncoming traffic because the road was tad bit narrow, i didn’t put the indicator on to let the cars behind know i was still driving, so i was overtaken by a couple of cars who had assumed i’d pulled up.

Apart from that i’m feeling confident. There’s two killer tight turns that are on a test route that i managed today. I think i’ll ask the instructor to take me round them tomorrow so i can get used to them. Another 4 hours tomorrow and then test day! :open_mouth:

dar1976:
With your tight turn, just don’t rush. Use the space you need and it’ll be easy :slight_smile:

I’ve learnt that now! :slight_smile: I used to try and turn way too fast so i’d mess it up and not check mirrors and fumble my gears ETC. Now i crawl round corners it is so much simpler! I can get everything ready before the turn and still have time to spare! :smiley:

Zer0:
I had stopped before some parked cars today to give way to oncoming traffic because the road was tad bit narrow, i didn’t put the indicator on to let the cars behind know i was still driving, so i was overtaken by a couple of cars who had assumed i’d pulled up.

Thats good general advice for all motorists

I get car drivers doing the advanced who do not consider that happening