Zepro tail lift / towbar issues

Hi

I’ve decided for various reasons that I’d like to fit a towbar to the back of my truck. I can do this here in Finland without incurring the extra taxation that would be involved if I were to fit the regular coupling for a drag with air brakes.

This limits me to a 3500kg trailer but for my purposes at the moment that’s ok.

My wagon has a Zepro tail lift now, part of which is somewhat in the way. On the basis of a picture saying a thousand words - here’s a picture:

The bar pointed to by arrow A was originally the full width of the body - but I cut off the outer sections as they were damaged and sharp and would have caused an MoT failure.

To make room for the towing ball I’d like to remove the centre section of this bar too - but I’d like to be sure that it doesn’t serve any essentail technical function, apart from being apparently to stop cars from trying to wedge themselves under the chassis. This bar moves down and almost touches the ground when the tail-lift is lowered.

The bar itself is just made of thin sheet that has been folded into an octagon profile.

I’m planning to replace the outer sections, and use the towbar and bracket to fill the middle where the arrowed section is at present. Does this sound okay?

Thanks!

“Z”

Does it not provide some stability to the platform like an anti roll bar of sorts. By joining the two rams you are forcing them to work as a pair.

I have got hydraulic plant ramps that lower together but always lift one before the other. If there was a rigid bar between the ramps then they would go together.

8wheels:
Does it not provide some stability to the platform like an anti roll bar of sorts. By joining the two rams you are forcing them to work as a pair.

I have got hydraulic plant ramps that lower together but always lift one before the other. If there was a rigid bar between the ramps then they would go together.

Hi

Thanks

Yeah, that did occur to me. However that other bar visible above my number plate joins the same parts (the two cylinders that tilt the platform) and is very much stronger. That lower bar is really just made up from sheet.