Your views on a video idea

Part 5 (final) of my 2 week video diary will be up as soon as I can find some decent wifi.

I’ve been wondering a while about next ones. I’ve covered most of the interesting work we do now. Somebody tweeted me the idea of making some short vids that would show wannabe drivers and newbies how to do things. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t think I’m Mr Know It All Proffesional but I thought this may be a good idea as many people who like my videos fall into these categories.

It’d be the usual lighthearted stuff, I’m not gonna make a training video, but maybe I could do something that would give people how to do things without sending them asleep. Just stuff like hitching up, how to use fridges, paperwork like cmr’s, loading, stuff like how to deal with hanging loads and so on.

Just to reiterate I don’t intend to make them ‘THIS IS HOW IT MUST BE DONE’ videos, just pointers in the right direction for new chaps.

Anyhow is that a good idea? And if so what should I cover?

maybe a look through the newbies forum could give you some ideas. how about split coupling? i’m guessing you won’t have much opportunity to do a video on containers, or roping and sheeting!

Bad hats and haircuts? LOL…Good idea, but I know Jack! :smiley:

Good idea for newbies Luke - Think about it - What was it like the first time you went to an RDC?

Its easy for us now because we know the what to do and they are roughly all the same. Newbies would find a video on this sort of stuff and the things that you have suggested a real bonus?

Great idea!

To get across the tedium of waiting at an RDC you could do it in the style of ‘24’; "The following takes place between 13.00 and 14.00’, then there is an hour long vid of a group of blokes sitting in a waiting room. For excitement, every ten minutes one of them could sigh and reach for the 2 day old copy of The Mirror. A fly buzzes. Then, dramatically, someone off camera calls out a number. One of the men smiles and gets up. The rest sigh again and go back to staring at the walls. Tick, tick, tick, tick. The End.

(But seriously, I thinks it’s a good idea :wink: )

I think that the reason your videos are so popular Luke is because you do alot of Euro work so how about a guide to booking on ferries or how about a guide to Rungis Market in Paris?I’ve heard it’s a bit mental.What ever you decide on will be good :smiley:

Just be careful of dropping yourself in it with the H&E Gestapo, who will be looking for you pulling curtains back one handed and winding your landing gear down wearing flip flops!
Don’t know ifany of that matters over in eire though.

Good idea mate. I’ll hold my hands up and say I wouldn’t mind learning a thing or two about driving with hanging meat etc. And how to use a fridge properly as I’ve only pulled a reefer once and i was just lucky it was already running when I picked it up. :slight_smile:

1. Ferry port proceedures
  2. Fridge operation
  3. Load type and temperature
  4. In cab gadjets
  5. Route planning Europe.( eg what toll roads etc)
  6. Best and worse truckstops
  7. Continue your cooking slot

That should do for now… :wink:
Well you did ask… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies peoples, that’s it settled then. I’m noting down the suggestions in my notebook and I’ll be putting something together soon. Thanks to @steowd on twitter for the idea.