Your top 3 tractor units

Renault Magnum, cos there was nowt else like them at the time
Leyland Marathon, God knows why :open_mouth: Cos me dad had one■■?
F series Volvo, particularly a F16 500BHP, awesome looking truck

Number 1. Mercedes actros: What can i say a truly awe inspiring piece of machinery. Built to last, eats kms like there is no tomorrow. Super reliable 1.3 million kms and the only really big thing needed was a clutch. Decent cab size/storage. Best gearbox ive encountered to date (the flappy paddle, pre selector). Also has good resale value in auction due to the africans loving them plus it looks magnificent :sunglasses:

Number 2. volvo a proper workhorse of a motor, does what it says on the tin.

Number 3. I would put daf but im undecided had my ups and downs. My current cf is okish :confused:

Dislike anything scania/french or the piece of crap that falls apart also known as a stralis.

1st volvo f12 globey[not fh].2nd daf 95 95xf xf105 superspace cabs…3rd scania 1 2 and 3 series 6 or 8 cyl[not 4 or r series ]

psv8:

Fallmonk:
Sorry but still think the merc is a class above for best all rounded,cab/engine/drive/price !!!

1. Merc Actros
    2)DAF SSC XF
    3)FH16 Globbie

have you ever looked at price of merc not the cheapist.

crap gearbox
couldnt pull me out of bed

there more in comparsont with renualt / iveco and price dont reflect that.

lot of big companys buying them for a reson not sure why though :unamused:

In Ireland the Actros is similar in price to Volvo and Daf. Merc’s don’t really go wrong nowaday’s however part’s are pricy The Powershift gearbox is recognised to be as good as the i shift. The bad puller puzzled me,i can catch an R500 with my 1846 on the hill’s and i am usually a ton heavier!!!
On my third Merc now hadf an 1838sk,mp1 1840 and 08 1846.I would’nt keep gettin them if they where junk.
Oh and i pull a logging trailer-tough work.

ellies dad:

psv8:

Fallmonk:
Sorry but still think the merc is a class above for best all rounded,cab/engine/drive/price !!!

1. Merc Actros
    2)DAF SSC XF
    3)FH16 Globbie

have you ever looked at price of merc not the cheapist.

crap gearbox
couldnt pull me out of bed

there more in comparsont with renualt / iveco and price dont reflect that.

lot of big companys buying them for a reson not sure why though :unamused:

In Ireland the Actros is similar in price to Volvo and Daf. Merc’s don’t really go wrong nowaday’s however part’s are pricy The Powershift gearbox is recognised to be as good as the i shift. The bad puller puzzled me,i can catch an R500 with my 1846 on the hill’s and i am usually a ton heavier!!!
On my third Merc now hadf an 1838sk,mp1 1840 and 08 1846.I would’nt keep gettin them if they where junk.
Oh and i pull a logging trailer-tough work.

You do own that truck don’t you?

Not that i have much experience driving :stuck_out_tongue: but…MERC rule :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses:

Scania 143 450
Scania 143 450 Topline
Scania 143 450 Streamline

1st - Flat top Volvo F10 X-reg, after getting out of a sudden accident 400 series S-reg

2nd - Scania 143-500 highline centurian, had the lot, and more

3rd - Daf XF superspace cab, 580, 44ton pulease !

brit pete:
Ford Transcontinental
Bedford TM
Volvo Vnn 780
because they are trucks that I would like to drive daily,

My 1st artic, I had a love hate relationship with it, it had an L10 ■■■■■■■ and a 9 speed fuller. ex BRS the brakes were atrocious, but it was light and fairly economical, and hellish fast after the diff went, and we replaced it with one out of a sed Atky (60mph in 8th :laughing: )
Did 4 years incredibly hard work on tippers and apart from the diff, only other problem was a cracked cylinder head, oh and… stopping.

We used to run with Thomas Brothers Trans Contis too, good times :laughing:

ACTROS V8.

Wouldn’t want a 2nd or 3rd but if Mercedes went bust tomorrow then I suppose Daf XF would be my 2nd choice. In 3rd would be the blast from the past choice based solely on one the , the drive, and that was the fl10.

ACTROS V8.

Wouldn’t want a 2nd or 3rd but if Mercedes went bust tomorrow then I suppose Daf XF would be my 2nd choice. In 3rd would be the blast from the past choice based solely on one the , the drive, and that was the fl10 although they were gutless.

Mr Vain!!! (4 series topline, nobody does it better)

FH12 ( i Shift, awsome box )

DAF 105 ( A friend of mine gave me the keys to his 510, not even a week old. I’ve never forgotten it. Once driven forever smitten??)

renaultman:
My 1st artic, I had a love hate relationship with it, it had an L10 ■■■■■■■ and a 9 speed fuller.

The same engine as fitted to the MCW Metrobus double decker :wink:
God knows why I even know that, or why Id even want to know… :blush:
Anyways…
It has to be the Volvo Premium
Or the Renault FH
Or even better would be a DAF 105XF…

In no particular order…

Daf 3600 Space Cab
Volvo F12 / 16 Globetrotter
Scania 143 450

All of them proper trucks that you actually drove with proper gear boxes etc. Classic motors sadly gone, I would take one over a new auto-boxed computer driven machine anyday!! :wink: :wink: