Your thoughts on the Eurocargo a friend is about to buy one

my friend is abut to buy the iveco eurocargo.
he was also looking at the daf LF 55 and the merc atego 1628.
here in australia the jap trucks hino etc are very strong in the market. but they are unsuitable for his application. he needs low chassis height and hi carrying capacity. he is coming from a 15 year old hino so any thing modern will be luxury
the laws here limit the gvm ( gross vehicle mass) to 16000 kgs instead of the makers 18000 kgs etc so tare becomes important .
this is for an 8.5 to 9 meter tray application carrying steel there is some hand unloading hence the need for the low chassis high and air bags rear are needed.

his truck of choice is the iveco ml 160 280 hp rough pricing here as a guide for you people is 40000 pounds ( I converted to make it easier)

the daf is 48000 pounds

and the merc is 52000 pounds

all are more or less top spec 8/9 speed box sleeper abs and 19.5 " wheels etc

the main pick was the daf but the price difference is too much to ignore re the iveco.
yes we know the interior in the iveco doesnt have the same quality and feel but what we ware more conserned with are running expectations my friend has secured a great long term contract and doesnt want to let his client down. the previous model here in oz had some bad comments .
just wondering what you guys have found with eurocargo .
all going to plan the the truck will be changed every 4 years milage is around 80 000 klm per year.
thanks for you time
meggala

btw in our opinion the merc wins hands down but can you justify the extra 60/70 pounds a week in repayments.
hope the poll works

hi meggala,from a drivers point of view id go for the daf a much better truck than the iveco or the merc and it will last a lot longer than the iveco the merc im not to sure about but all 3 are popular over here .personnally id rather have the 60/70 pounds in my pocket than spend it on a merc
ps welcome to trucknet :laughing:

hi meggala, i agree with my mate Carl and i suggest you the DAF. I’m a big Mercedes , but the price gape is too high and if you change the truck after 320-350000 Km is better if you save 4000 £ and take the money in your poket. I’m italian, and i should be happy if you bought an Iveco, but the DAF has a better assembly quality than iveco, just remember that DAF and Iveco has the same Tector motor so on the road they has similar performances

the problem is the iveco is nearly 8000 pounds cheaper than the daf… he is getting a super deal on the iveco and getting the mid roof sleeper for the price of the normal sleeper. the reason being iveco would love to get a truck into the company he works for so they are prepared to buy the business.
thanks for the replies.
the main concern is reliability
meggala