Your Normal Dual Carriageway Speed?

Well given that only 20 something percent of the drivers here amoung these forums are not idiots according to some this should be an interesting read.

How many drives are going to be honest ■■

In the real world the only speed I generally observe on the A1 for example is flat out, the slower amoung us being the ones physically limited by company fuel saving policies, the likes of Sainsburys, Brake Brothers, Tesco but to name a few, the only other very small minority I see are those dragging their heels for whatever reason, maybe to earn a little extra coin, maybe to stop being sent back out if they get back later.

The law is the law, as the 20 something percent have gone to pains to remind us, wondering how that doesn’t seem to be the case on a DC ■■ Kind of reminds me of car drivers who bumble along at 45/50 in a 60 then plough straight through a 30/40 without even lifting off ■■

Why 55+ ? Well I appreciate that many including myself when it’s busy might knock back the CC a couple of clicks to have something in reserve , so we are not truly on the limiter.

I set the cruise at 83km/h and allow any other truckers on the limiter to pass me if they want (more often than not, they do).

On singles I’ll set it at 66km/h and every now and then pull in to a layby when the queue builds behind me to let folk past.

I made the decision right at the start of my days as a trucker to stick to all the speed limits at all times, no matter whether I agree with them or not.

Personally I do reckon the limit should be 50mph on SCs. Duals should be the same as motorways (which in reality is how most people drive them anyway), but it’s not up to me. I’m more than aware I’m in a very small minority in keeping both those laws (judged by the number of other truckers who always overtake me), but I am not prepared to risk my licence for anyone.

Licence been clean since day 1 and it will be remaining that way.

Fair play to you mate :wink:

My licence has been clean for 12years as well, maybe I am just lucky or have sharp eyes or just don’t speed inappropriately, if that’s possible ■■

I realise a slight flaw with the options, can you vote on the assumption your unit was capable of such a speed ■■?

Sorry, it’s late, my excuse :slight_smile:

I’ll set my cc to about 83 kph so that’s barely 52 mph a good sensible speed I think and if others want to pass then they’re more than welcome.

cruise set at 110 on all major roads outside the cities :slight_smile:
If im doing a run to Calgary and im heavy, I can get up to 130 downhill - if i dont stop the truck from doing it. I usually do stop it, but have to be careful not to ride the brakes too much.

I usually gravel at 89-90 kph, depending on what the limiter is set at for that vehicle and the weather conditions. The only DC I use for any length is the A38, there are no cameras and I get overtaken by the local constabulary most nights with no problems so far. The only change to this is if I get away from the depot v early and I will keep it down to 85kms, I don’t want to get to the hub too soon as the company will expect us there early every night and besides, the place is packed early on.

80 - 81kph on a dual, like to keep my sat nav reading 50mph, I use the retarder from around 52mph on a downhill, but don’t touch the brakes until exceeding 55mph.

65kph on a national speed limit single - again, sat nav 40mph, retarder from 41mph, brakes from 43mph - but used differently, ie 43 back down to 40, then retarder on, so not riding the brakes.

Sorry if this isn’t the answer you’re looking for, but I don’t want a speeding ticket for doing my job, in my car or on my bike however, speed limits are not always adhered to as much.

Without wanting to anger people… the vast vast majority of us would do 75 or so on the motorway in our car and not think anything of it. Nor do the police really. So, having a truck on the limiter on a dual carriageway - whats the difference?

I think calling people that do it idiots is a bit ridiculous really. Speeding on single carriageways I think should have more stigma attached to it as it can be dangerous, but on a dual no harm is ever being done in my opinion.

One exception being on short stretches of dual carriageway between single carriageway, just let people past… but on long stretches like the A19 which I use quite a lot - foot down.

I’ve opted for 50 and no overrun but I would’ve clicked a 52 if it’d been an option. I’m lucky that I’ve got a 345bhp Cat engine running at 26t gross so plenty of power to climb back up, with a bloody good Jake brake for going down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU3TY3JmM64&feature=youtu.be - not sure why the embed didn’t work origninally.

This is based on a car, 5kph is around 3mph +/-…

That’s the difference 3mph makes in a modern car, and I’m pretty sure we can all agree a car stops a little quicker than a truck?

Now, let’s look around a little more, in the back of the truck, companies like you to have ‘goods’ this is what pays for the truck to be driving around anyway, what do you think happens to the ‘goods’ when you have to brake?

The difference between a dual carriageway and a motorway or dual carriageway under motorway rules is things such as layby’s and side streets, just think about that next time you are thinking ‘it’s only 10% quicker’ :sunglasses:

I work for both Stobart and Brake Bros during any given week, Stobart trucks are not held back but the Brake Bros machines largely are set to 52mph, the only trucks I ever go past on the A1 or other DC’s are generally heavy and going uphill when I’m empty, if I’m lucky, very very occasionally I go past another fair and square.

I think the SC poll was actually quite reflective of what I see on the roads, I will be very surprised if this poll does.

NathanB:
I’ve opted for 50 and no overrun but I would’ve clicked a 52 if it’d been an option. I’m lucky that I’ve got a 345bhp Cat engine running at 26t gross so plenty of power to climb back up, with a bloody good Jake brake for going down.

I set the limiter at 50, but depending on which truck I am in it will sometimes zip off downhill, our Mercedes wagons are especially bad for this. The DAF CF I have had for the past couple of days is probably a similar set up to your wagon Nathan, the jake brake makes the whole truck shake!

BanburyDan:

NathanB:

I set the limiter at 50, but depending on which truck I am in it will sometimes zip off downhill, our Mercedes wagons are especially bad for this. The DAF CF I have had for the past couple of days is probably a similar set up to your wagon Nathan, the jake brake makes the whole truck shake!

Is your engine brake on the raised part of the floor? I’d guess that’s a standard engine brake; Not bad but not a Jake brake; Jake’s are great for frightening the tourists in Burford…

rob22888:
Without wanting to anger people… the vast vast majority of us would do 75 or so on the motorway in our car and not think anything of it.

it doesnt seem that long ago that speed was regular in a truck on the motorway , Bristol back to middlesbrough empty just over 4 hrs :laughing:

Not picking at anyone here, and I sincerely mean that, but why if your religiously wanting to stay to 50mph would you then allow yourself to speed just because you happen to be going downhill ■■

I for one honestly couldn’t care if people wanted to cruise at 40/45 on a DC, lane 2 let’s everyone carry on in their own comfort zone.

Driving on the limiter is a stressful experience I reckon, unless it’s a Saturday night, which imo is the best and least stressful time to drive. 84kmh for me normally at all other times and downhill, I may let it go to 90kmh, depending on the job/traffic conditions. A lot of the units are limited to 85kmh (cruise control) on the jobs I do, but will go to 90kmh if you just use the pedal. I try never to get involved in the silly games/stress other’s seem to engage in - if someone wants to pass me at a marginal increase in speed to mine, I just hit the exhauster and give him/her the road, quite glad I’m not involved with the commercial stress others seem to embrace!?! If that decrease in speed has ever resulted in a much increased spreadover, it’s rarely due to that, more waiting time on loading bays etc. I always manage to get round well within the law…

Limiters are of course wholly to blame for these types of discussions these days imo. I’m only 42, and happily remember the (back end days at least) of ‘no limiters’ on artics, as an all round ‘stresser free’ experience, bashing up to Sunderland from St.Neots every weekday night in an ERF E10 325 at around 60-65mph. :neutral_face: At around 62mph, your natural instinct would say ‘that’s enough’, even though the thing easily pulled 70mph+

You couldve have given us a “or other combination” as a vote.

52/53 on duals, and never let it over run anywhere as we get infringements for that.

But I’m not going to slag off the flat stick brigade, coz I done plenty of that, and would again if required.

At around 62mph, your natural instinct would say ‘that’s enough’,

Yep they were the days, 100 klicks just sweet. 362 MAN amongst many, needle would go right to the stop if you let her :wink:

I’ve had points before and also I’m the one that paid for my licences, so I am not about to [zb] that by getting any points. I have heard both sides saying that the Police don’t prosecute those speeding but I don’t know what is around the next corner do I!

Did a fair bit of driving yesterday on SC/DC and a MW a bit, and stuck to the speed limits on those, even the run back in from Banbury to Southam I stuck to the 40 limit, even though I was keen to get home.

I have a clean licence and I want to keep it that way, besides, there was no reason to get back to the yard early was there, agency, hourly paid and all that :smiley:

NathanB:

BanburyDan:

NathanB:

Is your engine brake on the raised part of the floor? I’d guess that’s a standard engine brake; Not bad but not a Jake brake; Jake’s are great for frightening the tourists in Burford…

Some are on the steering wheel (LFs) others on a lever by the wheel, or a floor button. Dunno if its a jake or just an engine brake…makes a racket anyway. Some seem more effective than others though.