Your first truck with a night heater

which was your first truck with a night heater,after years of freezing,keith

Mk. 2 Scania. B reg.
Was also my first sleeper cab.
And it came with a radio fitted.
Bliss…

2800 daf ati first night out in Birmingham for milbank floors, put the heater on went for a pint or 3 came back to encounter a frozen over cab as the filter was blocked on the heater!!!

First motor with a night heater or first with one that actually worked?

Hi, Scania 82H night heater, sleeper cab and curtains absolute heaven, but what did you do before, sleeping on ropes and sheets to make a bed in the cab ok if you were empty, or a tent under the sheet, oh and the old faithful board and foam rubber, never risked the flee pits, at least if I was sleeping in muck, it was mine, no wonder we used to run night and day.
Les.

1981 Leyland Reiver 6 wheeler tipper! A sleeper cab wasn’t that common then, an Eberspacher night heater almost unheard of and even more suprising was that it was a BRS contract vehicle fitted with both, built by Locomotors of Andover and it was very comfortable. I often smile that people say BRS wouldn’t allow the use of sleepers, we had them from mid 70’s on and no they didn’t take the bunks out or such like.

The most difficult option was convincing Leyland that we needed haulage diffs in a tipper chassis (I was going to Dundee 3 times a week ), we never got them when it arrived, a local gearbox expert came up with the solution of fitting a Clydesdale overdrive section to the Reiver splitter box which gave it a top speed of 70mph + !
It was very reliable in the 500,000mls I did with it !

In The Early 80’s One Year Our Pay Rise Was A Night Heater Fitted To My Scania.

curries 118c.jpg

Mine was a daf 3300 the dealer fitted the night heater at the head of the bottom bunk then mounted the thermostat 6" above the outlet pipe so you could switch it on the heater then warm up the thermostat which would then switch off the heater leaving the rest of the cab like a ■■■■■■■ ice cube.

I had one fitted to this Scammell:

but it never worked for more than 2 weeks at a time without needing repairs. It also used to flatten the batteries so I couldn’t start in the mornings - happy days!

lespullan:
Hi, Scania 82H night heater, sleeper cab and curtains absolute heaven, but what did you do before, sleeping on ropes and sheets to make a bed in the cab ok if you were empty, or a tent under the sheet, oh and the old faithful board and foam rubber, never risked the flee pits, at least if I was sleeping in muck, it was mine, no wonder we used to run night and day.
Les.

Yep, been there,seen it, done it. AND I’ve had some good comfortable night in the Atki day cab like that (in summer). I almost died from hypothermia though one bleak winters night in Dundee. God it was cold, no night heater, motors frozen up but the ■■■■■■■ fired up at the first touch in the morning, wrapped the front up, got it warm and all was well.

Eberspacher DL1…worked more than it didn’t, but only just.

gazzer:
Eberspacher DL1…worked more than it didn’t, but only just.

The earliest Eberspacher I had in 81 was very good, I think it had 1 glow plug in it’s time. I later had a Webasto heater and that was absolute crap think it packed up every few weeks, the only agent near to us was on a canal boat yard, which meant driving a lorry down the tow path to reach the place !!! I was glad to see the back of it.

stevecook:
I had one fitted to this Scammell:

but it never worked for more than 2 weeks at a time without needing repairs. It also used to flatten the batteries so I couldn’t start in the mornings - happy days!

I should say mine was an Eberspacher.

Hi, Folks, The first one we had wad in a ex tnt ERF day cab P reg ,the cab heater was crap but the night heater when it worked was ok you had to stick a match in the timer switch so it would stay on and give a bit of heat ,Cheers Barry

First nightheater i had was in a B reg LEYLAND CONSTRUCTOR B232OWD ex BRS DELTA contract 6 wheel flat with a works sleeper cab it was located in the toolbox passenger footrest and the thermostat was one for a house It was my first sleeper cab it was a good cab to sleep in

ianto:
First nightheater i had was in a B reg LEYLAND CONSTRUCTOR B232OWD ex BRS DELTA contract 6 wheel flat with a works sleeper cab it was located in the toolbox passenger footrest and the thermostat was one for a house It was my first sleeper cab it was a good cab to sleep in

Remember that one ianto, they run that one from West Brom on Delta, it was hell of a long 6 legger IIRC.

Hi Trev-H B232OWD had a 27.6 platform on her i did a lot of farm and building work with her both local and distance out of west wales when we got her she was painted all in a light blue colour and we resprayed her green cab red wings and LEYLAND name plate

My first motor with a night heater was a 2800 Daf, before that it was double sleeping bags blankets and freeze your nuts off.

Hey, at first international trip via an F89 thanks to the boss who had driven it from new.
So nightheaters and air suspension was common in the '70’s at us,so boss (foreman) drove all the new ones for a while.

Cheers Eric,

P-reg Volvo F88. Night heater, comfortable bunk, more power than a Scania 111 and a nice shiny bulk tipper on the back.