Your driving licence record is now online

gov.uk/view-driving-licence

You can check what categories you have and what endorsements you have

I have already checked my licence details and what it says on line is incorrect

Mine is spot on

If yours is not correct and the info is taken directly from the DVLA database then I would be calling DVLA ASAP

Mine is correct, and it’s quite a nice website too.

1 thing it did say which I didn’t expect.
Category B
Description

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) and up to 8 passenger seats, and a driver, with trailer up to 750kg; trailers over 750kg if combined weight of vehicle and trailer isn’t over 3,500kg and the fully-loaded trailer doesn’t weigh more than the unladen vehicle

Answers quite a few queries about towing caravans, including a query I had many years ago. Now, my query was answered, but if anyone else has the same question, the answer is right there, and I’m sure it’s been mentioned recently…

waynedl:

Category B
Description

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) and up to 8 passenger seats, and a driver, with trailer up to 750kg; trailers over 750kg if combined weight of vehicle and trailer isn’t over 3,500kg and the fully-loaded trailer doesn’t weigh more than the unladen vehicle

Answers quite a few queries about towing caravans, including a query I had many years ago. Now, my query was answered, but if anyone else has the same question, the answer is right there, and I’m sure it’s been mentioned recently…

The bit I made bigger was revoked on 19/01/2013 for all B licence holders by an EU directive so its disappointing that its in there

There is now just one extra law on top of all the usual towing laws for the towing of a trailer over 750 kgs plated MAM for a B licence driver and that is …

… the GVW of the vehicle added to the trailer plated MAM (GVW or MTPLM) must not total more than 3500 kgs

ROG:

waynedl:

Category B
Description

The bit I made bigger was revoked on 19/01/2013 for all B licence holders by an EU directive so its disappointing that its in there

There is now just one extra law on top of all the usual towing laws for the towing of a trailer over 750 kgs plated MAM for a B licence driver and that is …

… the GVW of the vehicle added to the trailer plated MAM (GVW or MTPLM) must not total more than 3500 kgs

The bit in large explains where I got the towing vehicle must weigh more than the trailer. Was blasted by a few on that subject and couldn’t remember where I’d seen it.

I can drive 16 twunts around provided I’m doing it for free.

I’ll pack them all some lunch as well should I? And pander to the calls of their bladders?

NewLad:

ROG:

waynedl:

Category B
Description

The bit in large explains where I got the towing vehicle must weigh more than the trailer. Was blasted by a few on that subject and couldn’t remember where I’d seen it.

Its SAFER And RECOMMENDED that the towing vehicle should weigh more than the trailer with a fifth wheel being the exception

Just checked mine and the info online isn’t correct.

I’ve just checked mine and my online info is correct.

However, I noticed that it’s a beta version for evaluation, so I guess there’ll be a few niggles whilst they fine tune it.

They recently tried out a beta version of the MoT/insurance status checker. Unlike the “full” version, you could enter any number plate and see the details (no need for any other documentary/reference to get access). Handy for checking on the status of some of the sheds my neighbours drive around in…

Correct for me

3 points SP30

Shows my CAT C and B+E which I applied for not long ago that expires when in 2031 (when im 45) when ive got to do the next medical.

Mine’s 100% correct.
ROG , does this mean that we will be able to update records, change addresses, renew cards online , in the future ?

I think it will all go online pretty soon. Tax discs are being phased out soon.

Be so much easier to amend stuff online, all theyd need to do would text you a authorisation code or something. Save sending forms off and waiting 6 weeks for it to come back, thats if royal mail dont loose it first !

It is all very well being able to carry out alterations to records online but the problems lie with how long it actually updates the databases.

I have a vehicle that has a current tax disc displayed but the DVLA website states it is still on SORN. Handy if you get stopped when tax discs are abolished and you have no proof that your vehicle is taxed.

Likewise the driving licence website is inaccurate and in addition my licence and tacho card show that I live in a different location to my vehicles, albeit the postcode is correct.

Going by past experiences with DVLA this is a recipe for disaster, when it took them ten and a half years to find a discrepancy with the engine cc on one of my vehicles, it gives you great confidence.

pierrot 14:
Mine’s 100% correct.
ROG , does this mean that we will be able to update records, change addresses, renew cards online , in the future ?

You have been able to change address and renew licence online for a while now, although you have to be a resident of Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales, different rules for Northern Ireland) to do it.

Roymondo:
They recently tried out a beta version of the MoT/insurance status checker. Unlike the “full” version, you could enter any number plate and see the details (no need for any other documentary/reference to get access). Handy for checking on the status of some of the sheds my neighbours drive around in…

It’s not quite correct… My neighbours vehicle is a yellow sprinter van taxed as HGV (that’s what it says on the tax disc anyway) at a cost of £1200…

BUT, according to that website…

Vehicle excise duty rate for vehicle
6 Month rate £123.75
12 Month rate £225.00
Vehicle details
Vehicle make MERCEDES
Date of first registration 24 April 2006
Year of manufacture 2006
Cylinder capacity (cc) 2148cc
COâ‚‚Emissions Not available
Fuel type HEAVY OIL
Tax class LIGHT GOODS VEHICLE
Export marker No Vehicle status
Tax not due
Vehicle colour WHITE
Vehicle type approval N1

1 company I worked for had a Ford Transit. According to the log book, it a gross weight of 12000 Kgs.

Sorry that should have read unladen weight not gross

Roymondo:

mind your own business