Young wanna be driver (19) - Any advice?

Hi there, Im Jack from Manchester I have always had a passion for trucks since i can remember :stuck_out_tongue: and have been brought up with trucks as my Dad is a class 2 driver. Although i dont currently hold a HGV licence im in the process of saving up money by putting £100 a week away. I currently have my Car license and have been trying to get Van driving work to gain some driving and road experience.

If i’m correct i have to do my 7 n half ton license then go in for my class 2 ? been looking up on information about taking my test and what not but still feel a bit puzzled so any advice would be great :slight_smile:

Well hope to read some replies soon :slight_smile:

cheers
jack

Welcome :slight_smile:

JackFielding:
If i’m correct i have to do my 7 n half ton license then go in for my class 2 ?

You’re incorrect; you can go straight to class 2 :smiley:

You don’t need to go for your 7.5 you can go straight for your class 2.

However, please bear in mind that it will take a LOT to get any kind of work at your age with no experience.

Check out the LGV TRAINING TIPS thread sticky - link in my signature below

D4 medical - pay over £60 = ripped off
D2 form = tick C & D only = that will cover all medicals for all LGV & PCV categories
Always visit and talk face to face with any trainer before parting with any money for training

Keep current job until you are certain of getting a permanent LGV job

If already in a mon to fri job then generally you can drive LGVs for one day every other weekend and keep within drivers rest rules which may get you a start without giving up a steady job

Thanks for the replies guys, I got a lot of reading upon to do.

Although chow for now bed time need a good nights rest.

I saw a job online last week for a trainee class C driver - must only have car licence, cant recall where but it caught my eye as its first time ive seen that before.

I posted details of a firm that were taking on an apprentice with a car kicence to train for class two and one licence which they wont pay for and nobody replied to it.It is Somerset.

Given your age and location I would suggest you try Stobarts and try and get on their apprentice scheme (if they still do it)

The training academy is only down the road at Widnes