young drivers scheme

hiya im 18 years old from telford

im in my last year as a apprentice truck machanic

and ive always been interested in trucks and i am wondering if anyone has any information on the young drivers scheme or dose anyone no if theres anyone in telford that dose this

I think it was stopped were they dropped the age from 21 to 18

i dont no

thats why im askin

yep its gone now mate…

The Young Driver Scheme

The Young LGV Driver Scheme is managed by the Road Haulage & Distribution Training Council on behalf of the Department for Transport.

Young drivers do a real and productive job whilst receiving first class training towards LGV licence acquisition and industry specific, nationally recognised qualifications.

The Scheme provides the opportunity for a young person to obtain a full Category C driving licence at the age of 18 rather than 21 and a Category C+E licence before his or her 21st birthday.

What’s involved?
Registered young drivers follow a structured training programme leading to a Level 2 Scottish / National Vocational Qualification (S/NVQ) in either “Driving Goods Vehicles” or "Transporting Goods by Road ". In addition their LGV driving skills are regularly assessed.

Stages

1. Young person recruited / selected by company Registered on to the Scheme Training Plan agreed and Induction training given
  2. Pre-driving units of S/NVQ achieved Application (through RHDTC) for
    provisional Category C licence
  3. Driver Training
  4. Pass test and gain licence
  5. Receive four satisfactory driving assessments during first six months after taking LGV test Complete S/NVQ
  6. YDS completion certificate issued after stages 1-5 successfully completed
  7. (Optional) Driver training for Category C+E licence and C+E test passed
    (This must be at least 6 months after passing ‘C’ test)

Funding
Employers are able to access funding through the local Learning & Skills Council if the trainee is registered on a Foundation Modern Apprenticeship. This requires the addition of the Key Skills of communication, application of number and information technology to the training programme. For more details on how to access funding, contact your local Approved Training Organisation. (List available from the RHDTC).

Scheme features
New trainees must be between their 16th and 21st birthdays and have no more than 3 penalty points on their licence
All trainees must be employed by a company registered with the RHDTC
All trainees must be registered with an Approved Training Organisation
(ATO) - a list is available from the RHDTC
A training plan will be agreed and monitored by the employer, trainee and the Approved Training Organisation
Induction and Health and Safety training will form a central requirement of the scheme.
Assessment of trainees’ skills will largely be done at work but there
will be a requirement to undertake some “off the job” training
A trainee can begin Category C+E driver training 6 months after passing
their Category C test as long as they have completed both the S/NVQ and
driving assessments
Young drivers will automatically lose their Category C or C+E licence
entitlement if they accrue more than 3 penalty points on their licence
If a young driver ceases to be employed by a registered employer while
on the Scheme they will automatically lose their entitlement to drive
Category C or C+E vehicles
Trainees must be properly monitored, supervised and supported
throughout the programme. This is primarily the employers
responsibility, however, the ATO is accountable to the RHDTC who may
undertake periodic checks to ensure that the rules of the scheme are
adhered to

Information provided by RHDTC.

It is obsolete now, the driving age for LGV is now 18 so there is no advantage or need to have a YDS

starts saveing is the only answer unless you find someone who willl put you through.
sorry mate

Vacancy Description
If you want a career in driving, this is an opportunity to start it in the fast lane! We can provide all the support and training you need to gain a range of qualifications and licences, including a Large Goods Vehicle Licence, a Fork Lift Truck Licence and an NVQ2 in Driving a Goods Vehicle. Once you’re qualified, you’ll be perfectly placed to enjoy a great career with us.

As this is an intensive training programme, you’ll need to successfully complete a driver competency assessment before you join us. Any Apprenticeship is a big commitment, so you’ll need to work hard and show you’re serious about developing a career with us too. Obviously, a full driving licence is also essential!

Key Details
Vacancy Title Driving Apprentice (Birmingham)
Employer Ashtead Plant Hire Co Ltd
Employer Description
A-Plant is the perfect place to build your career. As one of the UK’s largest rental companies, we have an unrivalled range of equipment and tools.
Vacancy Location
Birmingham, West Midlands
Working Week 40 hours
Weekly Wage £ 200.00
Number of Vacancies 1
Vacancy Reference Number VAC000079362
Key Dates
Closing Date For Applications 31/07/2011
Interview Begin From 01/05/2011
Possible Start Date 01/09/2011
Training
Training to be Provided
Year 1 - complete B+E training and test, Sign up for the level 2 Driving a Goods Vehicle.

Year 2 - works towards and complete NVQ Level 2 Driving a Goods Vehicle and gain an HGV category licence inc commencement of Driver CPC

Year 3 - Work towards and complete NVQ Level 3 Driving a Goods Vehicle

Learning Provider Ashtead Plant Hire Co Ltd
Vacancy Type Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework Driving Goods Vehicles
Important Other Information
In return, we’ll give you all the training and support you need to develop a skilled career. We’ll give you an industry leading salary too, 23 holidays per year (excluding Bank Holidays) and regular incentives.

You can apply for the Scheme any time between Mar and July, but you must be ready to start by the time the course starts in September.

Get on the website and apply to them if you are interested. It’s time consuming but if you can’t afford to do it then it’s a good alternative. Hope this helps :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

jonnytruckfest:
Vacancy Description
If you want a career in driving, this is an opportunity to start it in the fast lane! We can provide all the support and training you need to gain a range of qualifications and licences, including a Large Goods Vehicle Licence, a Fork Lift Truck Licence and an NVQ2 in Driving a Goods Vehicle. Once you’re qualified, you’ll be perfectly placed to enjoy a great career with us.

As this is an intensive training programme, you’ll need to successfully complete a driver competency assessment before you join us. Any Apprenticeship is a big commitment, so you’ll need to work hard and show you’re serious about developing a career with us too. Obviously, a full driving licence is also essential!

Key Details
Vacancy Title Driving Apprentice (Birmingham)
Employer Ashtead Plant Hire Co Ltd
Employer Description
A-Plant is the perfect place to build your career. As one of the UK’s largest rental companies, we have an unrivalled range of equipment and tools.
Vacancy Location
Birmingham, West Midlands
Working Week 40 hours
Weekly Wage £ 200.00
Number of Vacancies 1
Vacancy Reference Number VAC000079362
Key Dates
Closing Date For Applications 31/07/2011
Interview Begin From 01/05/2011
Possible Start Date 01/09/2011
Training
Training to be Provided
Year 1 - complete B+E training and test, Sign up for the level 2 Driving a Goods Vehicle.

Year 2 - works towards and complete NVQ Level 2 Driving a Goods Vehicle and gain an HGV category licence inc commencement of Driver CPC

Year 3 - Work towards and complete NVQ Level 3 Driving a Goods Vehicle

Learning Provider Ashtead Plant Hire Co Ltd
Vacancy Type Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework Driving Goods Vehicles
Important Other Information
In return, we’ll give you all the training and support you need to develop a skilled career. We’ll give you an industry leading salary too, 23 holidays per year (excluding Bank Holidays) and regular incentives.

You can apply for the Scheme any time between Mar and July, but you must be ready to start by the time the course starts in September.

Get on the website and apply to them if you are interested. It’s time consuming but if you can’t afford to do it then it’s a good alternative. Hope this helps :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers

thats all the infomations im lookin for the only prob is i havent got a car licence as yet im just after some information about it and i live in telford i

Send an application in anyway. They might be able to help you, if you have the right attitude there shouldn’t be any problem. I’ve sent an application to a vacancy just like this but it is up here in west yorkshire.,

It’s better to try and risk it then not and wondering what if. Surely you would have someone who could probably take you to and from? It’s just a case of trying and seeing.

Contact local hauliers, small and big they may be able to help you. Some may just say come back when you have your car license or others may say come back when you have your Cat C license.

Best thing to do, save up, go through your car license and get it, get information from a local training company that provides the DGV apprenticeship assuming you CAN’T afford it, take it to local hauliers see if they can help. If not I suggest to find a job and get saving. :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers

P.S It’s good to see you have a trade behind you first, Just to let you know from what I’ve seen advertised truck mechanics are paid £10 - £12 average an hour and do a basic 40 hour week. :unamused: Just take that into consideration, not as if you couldn’t save up for it with that kind of earning potential :grimacing: :grimacing:

jonnytruckfest:
Send an application in anyway. They might be able to help you, if you have the right attitude there shouldn’t be any problem. I’ve sent an application to a vacancy just like this but it is up here in west yorkshire.,

It’s better to try and risk it then not and wondering what if. Surely you would have someone who could probably take you to and from? It’s just a case of trying and seeing.

Contact local hauliers, small and big they may be able to help you. Some may just say come back when you have your car license or others may say come back when you have your Cat C license.

Best thing to do, save up, go through your car license and get it, get information from a local training company that provides the DGV apprenticeship assuming you CAN’T afford it, take it to local hauliers see if they can help. If not I suggest to find a job and get saving. :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers

P.S It’s good to see you have a trade behind you first, Just to let you know from what I’ve seen advertised truck mechanics are paid £10 - £12 average an hour and do a basic 40 hour week. :unamused: Just take that into consideration, not as if you couldn’t save up for it with that kind of earning potential :grimacing: :grimacing:

i will speak to local hauliers