Young Driver, No Work, Why Lower Age?

Hi all, this is my first post on this site…wondering if anyone is having the same problems as myself. I passed my Class 2 test back in July 2010 and since then have not been able to find work. It’s either that they want you to be 21 or over, or you need 2 years experience. My point is, why lower the HGV age if no one is hiring younger drivers?

Cheers

Jack

to screw more money out of us

Welcome to Trucknet-UK ScannyJacko :wink:

ScannyJacko:
Hi all, this is my first post on this site…wondering if anyone is having the same problems as myself. I passed my Class 2 test back in July 2010 and since then have not been able to find work. It’s either that they want you to be 21 or over, or you need 2 years experience. My point is, why lower the HGV age if no one is hiring younger drivers?

Cheers

Jack

Lowering the age to 18 is an EU Directive so the UK government had to go along with it, I’d say it’s always been obvious that most companies will be reluctant to employ anyone under the age of 21 to drive large vehicles, apart from the lack of experience in an industry that has plenty of experienced people looking for work there’s the insurance to consider.

I wish you luck though :wink:

Thanks for the advice, I’m 21 in July of this year so I’ll start looking properly then. I think the agency route is best to start with, taking anything they give me. I’ll just keep looking and hope something comes up.

ScannyJacko:
Thanks for the advice, I’m 21 in July of this year so I’ll start looking properly then. I think the agency route is best to start with, taking anything they give me. I’ll just keep looking and hope something comes up.

You’ll then get hot with the u must be 25 and have 2years exp, it’s no win till ur 25. Can’t wait till april

Some companies are willing to hire young drivers, Its a case of being in the right place at the right time, or how hard you try to find work, to how many companies you try at. I’ve approached 4 companies that have said age or experience isn’t an issue, They’re interested in people who are willing to work. Fair enough they’re fairly big companies, but it’s your foot in the door.

Also sometimes its a case of who you know, not what you know. Good luck for the future mate, I’m personally finally getting my foot in the door, working my way from the bottom as a drivers mate (Hopefully!!) To me thats my first step to the trucking industry, And i’m only 17 and after the apprenticeship i have a full time job at the end of it. Can’t grumble. If you need anything just send me a message, I’ll help best i can.

I’ll be making a thread if/when i get an interview for this apprenticeship i’m going for. So keep everybody posted. Good luck for the future, You’ll catch your break. :grimacing: :grimacing:

Regards

Jonny

Most companies like you to be at least 25 due to insurance

Most agencies like you to have at least 6 mth proven experience as there are a lot of experienced drivers out there looking for work

If it was your company & a young lad came in & asked for a job what would you do :question: if an older experienced driver came in at same time & asked for a job who would you be more likely to take :question: as remember you will be in charge for the safety & contents of there load

animal:
Most companies like you to be at least 25 due to insurance

Most agencies like you to have at least 6 mth proven experience as there are a lot of experienced drivers out there looking for work

If it was your company & a young lad came in & asked for a job what would you do :question: if an older experienced driver came in at same time & asked for a job who would you be more likely to take :question: as remember you will be in charge for the safety & contents of there load

Fair point, but where do you start? Everybody has to start somewhere. I did my Class 2 whilst I was in an apprenticeship as an HGV fitter with a local company but got made redundant shortly after. Bit annoying really but I did get away with my Class 2 so I thought it could come in handy. I’ve had been driving lorries since July 2010 so there’s the 6 months…it’s just the age bit I’m worried about. I think agency work is the way to go.

Thanks all

The lower age limit means that a boss can employ his son or daughter.There was a serious accident on the A9 recently the press reported that one of the drivers was 23 years old.

alamcculloch:
The lower age limit means that a boss can employ his son or daughter.

But you could do that through the young drivers scheme which this has probably replaced