Young driver hoping to start out in the haulage industry

Hi all, I’m a 21 year old (22 in jan 2013), recently passed my Class C test, with my C+E in jan 2013. I have my full driver CPC qualification, along with a digi card. My dad is a lorry driver, so was his dad, and his dad, so it’s fair to say it’s in the blood.

My only worry is, when i was younger, and stupid, i got caught to be over the legal limit for alcohol, therefore, i have DR10 on my license. Everyone i have spoken to has said “you’ll still get a job” (and these are people with years of experience in the industry), but i just wondered what everyone else thinks?

I was young and stupid and have learnt my lesson, but alot of people/insurance companies will just see that as a cliche, won’t they? Or am I still likely to be given a chance to prove the doubters wrong?

Hope to hear from you, Tom. :astonished:)

It won’t be on your licence for ever though will it?

Alan16ac:
It won’t be on your licence for ever though will it?

no i dont have to declare it after 5 years, which is march 2014. just wondered whether you guys thought i would get the break i need after i passed my test in jan 2013. my brother who is 19, passed his test in aguust 2012, and got a job straight away as a driver at a local firm on the C+E license, but he had no DR10 on his license!!

DR10 + wet licence = 0 chance of getting a driving job. Forget it fella.

You may think you don’t have to declare this,but it is on your licence for 11 years,and every employer you work for will need to see your licence.
If you don’t disclose it at interview,then turn up with a DR10 on your first day,I would think you would be doing 2 shifts that day–your first and your last.

With a DR10 plus no dreaded 2 yrs experience and under 25 yrs old you have a slim chance, but there is always someone out there willing to give you a chance . Welcome and goodluck

Whirlwind:
With a DR10 plus no dreaded 2 yrs experience and under 25 yrs old you have a slim chance, but there is always someone out there willing to give you a chance . Welcome and goodluck

Thanks whirlwind :slight_smile: i bloody hope so :slight_smile:

tomtomgo:

Whirlwind:

Thanks whirlwind :slight_smile: i bloody hope so :slight_smile:

Being realistic its not impossible but not probable either but thats my personal opinion taking the current economic and job situation into account

come and work for our firm :wink: , the boss for some unexplicable reason took on a driver who had been banned twice for drink driving :unamused: .
Six months later he was discovered asleep behind the wheel with a can of special brew in hand :open_mouth: .

Sharpening my blade, be right with you!.. :smiling_imp:

Not easy but not totally impossible

You may have to take the not so good jobs if you do agency they may offer you van work to see how you go ( you can earn more driving a van btw)

The say "employ a teenager while they still know everything " :smiley:

But also depends where your are & what the job market is like as sure you know there are a lot of new & older drivers out of work

If you do a search there are a few threads on hear about DR10

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

tomtomgo:
Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Guys :unamused: :question: :question: :question: :question:

Would it be crude to throw in a pun here, working on Guinness tankers, khuene and nagel pub barrel drops?

In all seriousness you haven’t made it easy for yourself but as companies struggle more and more and more experienced drivers command a higher wage etc there will always be the small family run business that will give you a chance!

May happen straight away may take years. All I can say is persist with it or write if off now and rethink

I’d think you’ve more chance of becoming PM my friend…

If I were you, I’d avoid driving jobs until it’s off your licence. Most firms wouldn’t take you on at 21 anyway, but with a DR10 you have almost no chance of a job and no chance of a decent job.

Sorry to be so negative but, I think it would be mean to let you think it will be easy…

It can be done surely, whether it takes 2 weeks or 2 years, if you want it enough then don’t give up!

As for declaring it, well yes you will in a way. Look at it like this, when filling out an insurance form (online for example when looking for a new quote), it asks you if you have any claims/convictions in the last 5 years, which you do as its on your licence for 11 years as previously stated. If you didn’t have to declare it after 5 years then what’s the point on it being on there for 11 years!

And if that doesn’t make sense, as previously stated you still need to produce both parts of your licence when at a new job. Best bet is to be honest, someone will give you a break eventually.

Best of luck and don’t give up :wink:

Tarrman:
which you do as its on your licence for 11 years as previously stated.

Although the points will still be active the question (usually) is “convictions within 5 years” so after 5 years have elapsed the answer will be no as far as the insurance company is concerned.

Mate the reality out there is that i’m 33 with a clean licence with c & c+e cats but i have no experience. In the last 6 months I have done 4 days driving jobs 2 of which in a merc sprinter van.

As it say’s in the third post, his brother got a full time distance job on C+E as soon as he passed his test… at 18 years old (with a large reputible outfit, I hasten to add). So the jobs are there if you look hard enough.