Young Class 1 Driver for work, Hampshire area.

Hi all,

After trying for ages now I just cant find any work so I’m going to give it a try on here.

I’m a 22 year old Class 1 Driver and have held my licence for 9 months. I’m looking for full/part time work within the north Hampshire or Berkshire areas. I have some experience in driving Double Deckers and trunking work in and around London. Nights out and night shifts are not a problem for me as I am very flexible. I’m willing to work weekends, but I would prefer to have two weekends off a month as I go flying at weekends, but this can be negotiated.
I am a quick learner and therefore new skills, such as containers would be ok. I also have a Digi Tacho card too.
Work references can be supplied if you would like, as well as a CV.
If you would like to give me a chance then please feel free to call me on 07796 778156, or E-Mail me at adzmccallum@hotmail.com
I’m currently a part time school minibus driver, so if calling between 0600-1000 and 1430-1730, then please leave a message and I’ll call back shortly.
Adam McCallum

Your best bet is to blag some agency. Tell them you’ve been driving 7.5 tonners for years, put yourself through HGV and got a job shunting for some outfit recently gone bust. You’ll need two conspirators to act as references but if you can come up with enough convincing bull [zb] they might not even check.
Tell them your married, mortgaged with 5 kids, the bailiffs are at the door, your parents just died in a fire, your twin sisters committed suicide in their grief, you’ve just given up smoking and your desperate for anything, even skip work. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Driving a mini bus counts for nothing as far as experience in trucking is concerned.
Try getting onto some outfit with vans, 7.5’s and HGV’s. Or a TNT hub type outfit. Start off where ever they will let you. If they know you have an HGV a time will come when a rush job or a driver goes sick or something and they need you to get them out of the [zb]

berewic:
Your best bet is to blag some agency. Tell them you’ve been driving 7.5 tonners for years, put yourself through HGV and got a job shunting for some outfit recently gone bust. You’ll need two conspirators to act as references but if you can come up with enough convincing bull [zb] they might not even check.
Tell them your married, mortgaged with 5 kids, the bailiffs are at the door, your parents just died in a fire, your twin sisters committed suicide in their grief, you’ve just given up smoking and your desperate for anything, even skip work. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Driving a mini bus counts for nothing as far as experience in trucking is concerned.
Try getting onto some outfit with vans, 7.5’s and HGV’s. Or a TNT hub type outfit. Start off where ever they will let you. If they know you have an HGV a time will come when a rush job or a driver goes sick or something and they need you to get them out of the[zb].

I would say I’ve tried all that, but to be honest, I can’t say I have tried “my twin sister’s dead, so are my parents and so on…” lol I’m signed up to 6 agencies, thing is, they just don’t have the work and every driver’s on their books! The only reason I mentioned the minibus though is if somebody calls me and I don’t pick up, they won’t think I’m not bothered as I’ve mentioned the times I’ll be driving.

I did drive 7.5’s, which the agencies know about…worked for Tuffnells, such a [zb] company, they’d try to make me do anything just to get such insignificant things done!

I do have a company in Reading that always ask for me when they’ve got work, problem is because the work is maybe only one week in four, I was forced to take up this mini bus job as I needed the money. But if I get offered even just a part time HGV job, if the hours clash I’ll be glad to leave the minibuses!

Adz

Whereabouts in Hampshire are you?
Have you tried those shunters inside Southampton docks ■■■■■■■ containers about? If you can get on that you might get passed onto a proper container job 'cos they are always looking for drivers the jobs that boring. Trouble is the lack of experience. Or try the council, they don’t give a [zb]about experience. They only want to know if the box is ticked or not.

berewic:
Whereabouts in Hampshire are you?
Have you tried those shunters inside Southampton docks ■■■■■■■ containers about? If you can get on that you might get passed onto a proper container job 'cos they are always looking for drivers the jobs that boring. Trouble is the lack of experience. Or try the council, they don’t give a [zb] about experience. They only want to know if the box is ticked or not.

I live in Basingstoke, which is in the north of Hampshire. I have tried some container companies in the docks but they all said no as I don’t have container experience. I didn’t realise there were ‘shunters’ in the docks though, You by any chance know any names of the shunting companies? I was told by a driver a few months back of a container company in So’ton called Smarts or something, they’ll take anyone on with the right attitude he said, thing is I can’t find anything on them :frowning:

Cheers for the help, Adz

I think Smarts run out of Newport. Gwent. FH 12 Globetrotters. White with some blue. I doubt you’ll need a digi card.

I also know a bloke with two shunters in Southampton docks but won’t be seeing him till end of March. If your anywhere near Southampton, drive straight through security at gate 20 as if you know where your going and what your doing. At the roundabout turn right, The chances are a que of wagons will be trying to get in that turning as well, so just park where ever you can (except in this turning)and walk in. Pentalvers (wrong spelling) loaded container store. Don’t try getting past this gate though. Just hang around and keep an eye on your car. You’ll spot a shunter when you see one. He’ll be driving a wreck. It’s the only place in the dock you can get to that one would stop. I heard they pay £100 a shift. 7dys 7nights.

Smarts head office is in Builth Wells, they do however, have a depot in Eling Wharf, Totton.

they do have older trucks, but a lot of the newer ones require digi card.

berewic:
I think Smarts run out of Newport. Gwent. FH 12 Globetrotters. White with some blue. I doubt you’ll need a digi card.

I also know a bloke with two shunters in Southampton docks but won’t be seeing him till end of March. If your anywhere near Southampton, drive straight through security at gate 20 as if you know where your going and what your doing. At the roundabout turn right, The chances are a que of wagons will be trying to get in that turning as well, so just park where ever you can (except in this turning)and walk in. Pentalvers (wrong spelling) loaded container store. Don’t try getting past this gate though. Just hang around and keep an eye on your car. You’ll spot a shunter when you see one. He’ll be driving a wreck. It’s the only place in the dock you can get to that one would stop. I heard they pay £100 a shift. 7dys 7nights.

Cool, cheers for your help :slight_smile: I’ve been inside the docks before so I know the layout, just don’t know where any of the companies are lol but thank you :slight_smile:

shuttlespanker:
Smarts head office is in Builth Wells, they do however, have a depot in Eling Wharf, Totton.

they do have older trucks, but a lot of the newer ones require digi card.

Cheers for that. It doesn’t matter what vehicles they have, I’ll still drive it, I know how to use both manual and digi tachos, Although I must say, I do prefer manual ones! You don’t by any chance have a phone number for the Totton Branch do you? Would be very much appreciated if you did :slight_smile:

Smarts Transport
Llewelyn Villa, Cilmery, Builth Wells, Powys LD2 3PA
Tel: 01982 552463

this is the only phone number that is listed

shuttlespanker:
Smarts Transport
Llewelyn Villa, Cilmery, Builth Wells, Powys LD2 3PA
Tel: 01982 552463

this is the only phone number that is listed

If it wasn’t wrong I’d kiss you lol but thanks mate :slight_smile: I’ll give them a call shortly :stuck_out_tongue:

Adam_Mc:
I am a quick learner and therefore new skills, such as containers would be ok.

i didnt know you needed any special skills to be a box jockey :smiley: :laughing:

chaversdad:

Adam_Mc:
I am a quick learner and therefore new skills, such as containers would be ok.

i didnt know you needed any special skills to be a box jockey :smiley: :laughing:

I didn’t think it would be hard either, but they all say “container experience a must”…meh, we’ll see :stuck_out_tongue:

all you need is a pair of bolt cutters a tv a big book and most importantly a nice comfy pair of slippers for all the time you are sat around with your feet up :laughing:

chaversdad:
all you need is a pair of bolt cutters a tv a big book and most importantly a nice comfy pair of slippers for all the time you are sat around with your feet up :laughing:

BOLT CUTTERS!!!

you must be loking man :confused:

i do not carry bolt cutters for the simple reason, if the box gets broken into, if i got cutters, they can hold me liable and accuse me of breaking into the box, no cutters, can’t get in

shuttlespanker:

chaversdad:

BOLT CUTTERS!!!

you must be loking man :confused:

i do not carry bolt cutters for the simple reason, if the box gets broken into, if i got cutters, they can hold me liable and accuse me of breaking into the box, no cutters, can’t get in

spot on shuttle spanker company policy at my place other week in sw london had to walk down the high st found a plumbers merchants and had to borrow a set nightmare :unamused:

middle age driver looking for work
hgv 1 and 2 18yrs adr moffet qualified fitter rope /sheeting chains/ristas bulk exp
GOOD LUCK BUDDY I cant find nothing driving